Has Anyone Sucessfully Improved Cholesterol Levels Using Benecol?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my business (cardiology) we prescribe statins all the time, mostly to people with established CAD (bypass, stents, heart attack, etc). I these people they reduce the risk of another bad event by about 30% and aside from ASA nothing else has come close to accomplishing that. IMO Benecol mainly benefits the people who sells it to you. Antioxidant therapy is pretty much akin to voodoo. The only randomized scientific trial using a prescription strength high dose folic acid pill(a fave antioxidant) in people who had a recent stent put in showed almost triple the chance of closing the stent down. OOPS! Statins are used frequently in Type 2 diabetic as primary prevention. It probably depends on how high your LDL is to start with. The higher it is the more you could benefit. But statins are the only real way to lower your LDL long term and significantly. And they are really pretty safe especially compared to most prescription drugs. I've taken Lipitor 80/d forever!

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since my appt with my GP last week where I resisted starting on Statins, I have remained worried that my total cholesterol levels have risen since my diagnosis of Type 2 in May (my LDL has risen, my HDL has fallen but one snippet of good news my trigs have improved). I wondered if anyone has had success in improving their cholesterol numbers by drinking Benecol yoghurt drinks?
I always think that, if it was any good, it would need to be on prescription.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my business (cardiology) we prescribe statins all the time, mostly to people with established CAD (bypass, stents, heart attack, etc). I these people they reduce the risk of another bad event by about 30% and aside from ASA nothing else has come close to accomplishing that. IMO Benecol mainly benefits the people who sells it to you. Antioxidant therapy is pretty much akin to voodoo. The only randomized scientific trial using a prescription strength high dose folic acid pill(a fave antioxidant) in people who had a recent stent put in showed almost triple the chance of closing the stent down. OOPS! Statins are used frequently in Type 2 diabetic as primary prevention. It probably depends on how high your LDL is to start with. The higher it is the more you could benefit. But statins are the only real way to lower your LDL long term and significantly. And they are really pretty safe especially compared to most prescription drugs. I've taken Lipitor 80/d forever!
Thanks for the info. just one question; what is ASA?

Evzmo45

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply, my total cholesterol is 5.9 so not super high. I've got the no sugar yoghurt drink only 2.9g of carbs each day and it's not spiking me. I'll take it til my next bloods in December and see then.
My cholesterol was 4.1 and the consultant wanted to put me on statins!

Reactions: filly

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor told me not to bother, he said you’d have to eat so much of it to make a difference it would be nearly impossible to eat enough of it