Has Anyone Sucessfully Improved Cholesterol Levels Using Benecol?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since my appt with my GP last week where I resisted starting on Statins, I have remained worried that my total cholesterol levels have risen since my diagnosis of Type 2 in May (my LDL has risen, my HDL has fallen but one snippet of good news my trigs have improved). I wondered if anyone has had success in improving their cholesterol numbers by drinking Benecol yoghurt drinks?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No replies! :(
I'm giving it a go anyway :joyful:

• Funny
Reactions: filly

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was worried by the high fats on the low carb diet, so I started drinking one little benecol drink each day (counting the carbs of courses) I have no scientific proof of course but cholesterol went down from 5.2 to 4.8 over three months. However, caveat to that is my cholesterol has never been high before so the earlier reading could have been a glitch. The benecol doesn't spike me so I keep drinking it each day as it can't hurt! Probably not helpful but that's my experience with it !

Reactions: Rachox
B

badcat

Mine improved a bit although Im not now using them. A word of warning - most of the benecol drinks have sugar in them - I mainly used the cream cheese.

Reactions: filly and Rachox

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel I have to ask.. why are you worrying about your cholesterol levels at all?
Please tell me to butt out if you want..

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was worried by the high fats on the low carb diet, so I started drinking one little benecol drink each day (counting the carbs of courses) I have no scientific proof of course but cholesterol went down from 5.2 to 4.8 over three months. However, caveat to that is my cholesterol has never been high before so the earlier reading could have been a glitch. The benecol doesn't spike me so I keep drinking it each day as it can't hurt! Probably not helpful but that's my experience with it !
Thanks for your reply, my total cholesterol is 5.9 so not super high. I've got the no sugar yoghurt drink only 2.9g of carbs each day and it's not spiking me. I'll take it til my next bloods in December and see then.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the link. That's the trouble for every article for plant stanols there's one against! That's why I was asking for personal experiences!

The problem with personal experiences is most have no symptoms as yet that they are causing atherosclerosis, heart disease and premature death.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel I have to ask.. why are you worrying about your cholesterol levels at all?
Please tell me to butt out if you want..
Just to try and shut my GP up!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply, my total cholesterol is 5.9 so not super high. I've got the no sugar yoghurt drink only 2.9g of carbs each day and it's not spiking me. I'll take it til my next bloods in December and see then.

5.9 is nowhere near super high. It is lower than mine. (6.1 but all ratios are perfect) If you really don't want statins, just be a little assertive with your doctor and say no thank you. I asked for it to be put on my records that I won't take them, and used the raised glucose levels side effect as a reason as that seemed easier for them to comprehend.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 is nowhere near super high. It is lower than mine. (6.1 but all ratios are perfect) If you really don't want statins, just be a little assertive with your doctor and say no thank you. I asked for it to be put on my records that I won't take them, and used the raised glucose levels side effect as a reason as that seemed easier for them to comprehend.
I've already had two conversations about Statins with my GP, first post diagnosis diabetic review, he agreed to leave it two months. Next review he was a bit more ernest in trying to persuade me but I argued irreversible side effects, raised blood sugars and rapid weight loss causing a rise in cholesterol. If I can only get it a point or two lower then he might back off! He did say that it was ultimately my decision and he wouldn't ever force me!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating enough antioxidants and omega 3 foods? Personally I would increase these before trying these plant sterols, but that is just me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you eating enough antioxidants and omega 3 foods? Personally I would increase these before trying these plant sterols, but that is just me.
I eat a plenty of fish, salmon, tuna, mackerel, I eat nuts and spinach and always cook with olive oil.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
There's always artichoke extract as an alternative. My docs were the same - mine was 5.9 (and then went up to 6.5) at which point I lowered my diet to medium fat and started taking Artichoke Tablets (which reminds me I need to get my bloods tested - I've been sticking my head in the sand for a couple of months - so sue me - life gets in the way sometimes!). Just remember that doctors have a financial incentive to get you on statins (did I really say that?!)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a plenty of fish, salmon, tuna, mackerel, I eat nuts and spinach and always cook with olive oil.

Do you use Flaxseed? That is an excellent source of omega3 in addition to the fibre content. Also, dare I say, a small glass of red wine a day is a good antioxidant.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use Flaxseed? That is an excellent source of omega3 in addition to the fibre content. Also, dare I say, a small glass of red wine a day is a good antioxidant.
I think I might invest in some flax seed, I could do with the fibre (if you know what I mean ;)). I don't drink alcohol but thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins can raise glucose levels and could be implicated in causing diabetes, so good arguments against a diabetic taking them unless absolutely necessary.

In retrospect I now feel that a combination of long term statins plus a too high carb diet were what finally triggered my diabetes. Certainly after I refused to take them any longer my glucose levels did actually drop further than I could actually achieve with LCHF and statins combined ... :wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802