Has anyone tried medication other than precose/acarbose?

fronty

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Acarbose seems to help me with my symptoms. I was wondering if anyone else has tried a medication or knows about a medication that can help with reactive hypoglycemia.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Acarbose seems to help me with my symptoms. I was wondering if anyone else has tried a medication or knows about a medication that can help with reactive hypoglycemia.

Hello Fronty. I'm not an RH person myself, so haven't any personal experiences to share with you.

How were you diagnosed and are you having issues with your meds or just looking at alternatives for some reason?

I'll tag my colleague @Brunneria who has personal experience of RH herself, although I think she manages it without meds.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @fronty, welcome to our forum,
We have had a few posters come on the forum, and mention acerbose, and the majority are not too happy with the drug, for a few reasons, mainly because it causes stomach issues, and also the advice to keep eating carbs, despite that RH ers are carb intolerant. And the posters still had fluctuating blood glucose readings and continued to have symptoms.
If it works for you, then great, I would advise you to continue using acerbose.

My endocrinologist prescribed Januvia (Sitagliptin) and this works for me, but doesn't work for everyone, RH is so individual and using a glucometer and a food diary to test and experiment, this will give you more of an idea what is happening to you after food and drink, and what you are intolerant to.
Januvia works for me, because I have a very weak initial insulin response, this causes glucose dumping, which spikes my blood glucose levels quickly. My secondary insulin response, overshoots, I produce too much insulin and my blood glucose levels drop down into hypo levels. Januvia improves my initial insulin response sufficiently to cope with the glucose initially, but it does not prevent the overshoot or the hypos!
Only food and control can stop the trigger. If after eating, I remain in or just above normal blood glucose levels, then I don't trigger the secondary insulin response.
No hyper, no hypo!
So, I eat and enjoy a very low carb diet, I avoid the food that I'm intolerant to, I avoid the food that causes spikes, and I'm healthier and have more energy, because of this.
What tests have you had?
What dietary advice have you been given?
Any other conditions that may effect your digestive system?

Best wishes and welcome to the forum.

fronty

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies.

It's funny that you mention Januvia. I was prescribed that medication earlier today. I'll give it a try and report back. The acarbose seems to help with the symptoms and it delays the time needed between meals. I usually get a reaction fairly quickly and eat with 1 to 1 1/2 hours. With acarbose, I can delay the time to 2 to 3 hours.

I was diagnosed with a glucose tolerance test. My blood glucose levels dropped to 30 at the 2 1/2 to 3 hour mark. I do have a digestive issue. It is gastroparesis. It is delayed emptying. I was diagnosed through a gastric emptying study. The cut the test at the 1 1/2 hour mark because the food didn't move at all. I've been told that this can cause hypos as well, but I'm not sure exactly how.

I've tried all kinds of diets. I can reduce my symptoms through low carb diets. I actually tried keto for about 4 months. I definitely saw a reduction in symptoms. I just didn't have any energy. Everything I read stated that my energy should go up, but that wasn't the case with me.

I'm going to pickup the Januvia tonight. I'm hoping I see an improvement. I'll keep taking the acarbose. It doesn't effect me that much. The only side effect is increased flatulence.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One thing I have learned is that everyone who has RH, has different symptoms, different other problems or conditions.
I can understand the acerbose because of the delayed emptying, and usually RH is treated with regular small meals every two to three hours, to prevent hypoglycaemia because of the carbs. However, if you go low carb enough, the RH should not become an issue.
The control of your blood glucose levels by adding more good fats and good protein should also help with your health.
By the extended OGTT results, you have the same condition as I do, which is called ' Late Reactive Hypoglycaemia' maybe that is why the Januvia has been prescribed.
If your not sure, how and why, I will explain it more fully for you, but I don't have the other condition you have.

Let us know how you get on with the Januvia.
And of course your dietary control!