Has This Happened To You?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Afternoon all. I have not been on here for quite a while. Life just gets in the way! But without a doubt this forum has changed my life. I was dx last june, so just over a year. I went lchf, lost 6 st in 6 months and kept it at that level since Christmas. I was also dx as under active thyroid at the same time and since found out that I have hashimotos disease. I went onto levo and my levels were stable after a few months.

Like most of us with t2d I was really hoping that as my weight went down my t2d would resolve. But it didn't. My admittedly unscientific approach was to have the occasional national trust scone and test before, after an hour, one half hours and two hours. The scone was a treat and I told myself it was in the interest of my health. Sadly for me, my bgl shot up to about 11/12+ after 90 minutes and took quite a while to drop. I just accepted that I was going to be one of those for whom weight loss was not enough to resolve t2d.

Anyway, I have not used my scientific testing approach since about march. I have a reasonably low bgl and now only test when something happens. I had some surgery before Christmas, so I tested quite a lot then, and it took a while to come back down.
So, few days away, had a national trust scone or two, and decided to test. After an hour it was 7.5. After 90 minutes it was 5.9. Thought it must be a fluke. More scones. Tested before, at 60 , 90 120 minutes. Never went above 8.

Since then I have tested more than I have for quite a while. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am really pleased. But a bit surprised. I thought that a drop like this would happen when I lost weight. Not sometime after. Has this happened to anyone else?

Many thanks.

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Afternoon all. I have not been on here for quite a while. Life just gets in the way! But without a doubt this forum has changed my life. I was dx last june, so just over a year. I went lchf, lost 6 st in 6 months and kept it at that level since Christmas. I was also dx as under active thyroid at the same time and since found out that I have hashimotos disease. I went onto levo and my levels were stable after a few months.

Like most of us with t2d I was really hoping that as my weight went down my t2d would resolve. But it didn't. My admittedly unscientific approach was to have the occasional national trust scone and test before, after an hour, one half hours and two hours. The scone was a treat and I told myself it was in the interest of my health. Sadly for me, my bgl shot up to about 11/12+ after 90 minutes and took quite a while to drop. I just accepted that I was going to be one of those for whom weight loss was not enough to resolve t2d.

Anyway, I have not used my scientific testing approach since about march. I have a reasonably low bgl and now only test when something happens. I had some surgery before Christmas, so I tested quite a lot then, and it took a while to come back down.
So, few days away, had a national trust scone or two, and decided to test. After an hour it was 7.5. After 90 minutes it was 5.9. Thought it must be a fluke. More scones. Tested before, at 60 , 90 120 minutes. Never went above 8.

Since then I have tested more than I have for quite a while. I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I am really pleased. But a bit surprised. I thought that a drop like this would happen when I lost weight. Not sometime after. Has this happened to anyone else?

Many thanks.
It isn't just dropping weight, it's the rebalancing that takes place along with the change in eating habits I think. Although I am working away at weight and fitness I havent seen a sudden improvement in BG, but a much steadier return to more normal ranges.
I think like giving up smoking makes you an ex-smoker and never a non-smoker the same applies.
I'll be happy to be an ex-T2 though. :)

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It isn't just dropping weight, it's the rebalancing that takes place along with the change in eating habits I think. Although I am working away at weight and fitness I havent seen a sudden improvement in BG, but a much steadier return to more normal ranges.
I think like giving up smoking makes you an ex-smoker and never a non-smoker the same applies.
I'll be happy to be an ex-T2 though. :)

I had normal bgl when lchf. I was on about 50/60 grms carb a day and my numbers were fine. It was only when I upped my carbs that the bgl went up. I am happy with that. My testing with the occasional scone showed that I was still very t2d. But something has shifted in the last few weeks. And it seems to have happened quite quickly. I am sure you are right about"balance" . Its just that I am really surprised that this has happened.