Has you psoriasis improved since going low carb?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Has Your Psoriasis Improved Since Going Low Carb?

My 82 year old father was worried that a fast growing ringworm-looking thing was actually cancer. He had it biopsied after the steroid and anti-fungal creams only seemed to help it grow faster. While he was waiting for the results, the rash spread up his neck and onto his scalp. Finally the doctors have diagnosed psoriasis.

Just wondering if anyone here has found that going low carb would give the side benefit of helping psoriasis as blood sugars come under control?

lindisfel

Expert
Tell him he should not worry, he is 82 and very fortunate to be like me, of the pre war generation!
I dont know whether low carb will help auto immune conditions, but stopping worrying could improve it a lot,
Sunshine, uva, will help.

Mine comes and goes like an unwanted guest but I think it breaks out during stressful times.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cocosilk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avoiding gluten did far more for my psoriasis than anything else I have ever tried.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, since I reduced my BG to normal levels my scalp psoriasis (fungal, autoimmune, who knows) is mostly in abeyance. The skin on my face is a lot better too.

I also have hidradenitis (monstrous chronic boils in armpits and groin areas), which is generally reckoned to be an autoimmune issue, and I haven’t had a bad flare up of this for months. It was pretty constant prior to diagnosis.

Edit to add: my keto diet is also low gluten, so I can’t identify exactly why things have improved!

lindisfel

Expert
Often auto immune conditions are affected by low vitamin D and improved by taking the hormone.
John Campbell discussed this occuring with psoriasis in a video on vitamin D today.
D.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly I had my first ever bout of guttae psoriasis 3 months into keto (with a minor sore throat). 4 months of begging for antibiotics resolved it when nothing else did. 6 months later a second lesser bout (with a second sore throat) was more quickly resolved with antibiotics. Nothing since.