1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Has you psoriasis improved since going low carb?

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Cocosilk, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Cocosilk

Cocosilk Gestational · Well-Known Member

Has Your Psoriasis Improved Since Going Low Carb?

My 82 year old father was worried that a fast growing ringworm-looking thing was actually cancer. He had it biopsied after the steroid and anti-fungal creams only seemed to help it grow faster. While he was waiting for the results, the rash spread up his neck and onto his scalp. Finally the doctors have diagnosed psoriasis.

Just wondering if anyone here has found that going low carb would give the side benefit of helping psoriasis as blood sugars come under control?

2. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Tell him he should not worry, he is 82 and very fortunate to be like me, of the pre war generation!
    I dont know whether low carb will help auto immune conditions, but stopping worrying could improve it a lot,
    Sunshine, uva, will help.

Mine comes and goes like an unwanted guest but I think it breaks out during stressful times.
    D.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 lindisfel, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Avoiding gluten did far more for my psoriasis than anything else I have ever tried.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, since I reduced my BG to normal levels my scalp psoriasis (fungal, autoimmune, who knows) is mostly in abeyance. The skin on my face is a lot better too.

I also have hidradenitis (monstrous chronic boils in armpits and groin areas), which is generally reckoned to be an autoimmune issue, and I haven’t had a bad flare up of this for months. It was pretty constant prior to diagnosis.

Edit to add: my keto diet is also low gluten, so I can’t identify exactly why things have improved!

• Like Like x 1
  5. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Often auto immune conditions are affected by low vitamin D and improved by taking the hormone.
    John Campbell discussed this occuring with psoriasis in a video on vitamin D today.
    D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oddly I had my first ever bout of guttae psoriasis 3 months into keto (with a minor sore throat). 4 months of begging for antibiotics resolved it when nothing else did. 6 months later a second lesser bout (with a second sore throat) was more quickly resolved with antibiotics. Nothing since.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook