1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by desidiabulum, Oct 30, 2014.

1. seadragon

seadragon Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Your link just shows how they can skew the results they want by organising a meaningless test. They all tested just once a day and so that told them nothing at all of any use. The idea of testing is to test the foods that affect your BG therefore is only of use when people know when to test and how to interpret the results otherwise of course it is both meaningless and stressful.

Teach people to test before and after meals to see which foods spike them and therefore gives them the tools to use and how to use the information and of course as many here will testify, it can transform your life and put you in control of your condition.

I wasn't given a meter nor test strips but after seeing it advised on here I would say it's the best thing I ever did. Doc would have had me on metformin and statins and on the downward spiral to insulin but instead I am feeling fitter and healthier than I did twenty years ago.

They are right it is pointless giving meters and strips and restricting to once a day but teach people to keep a food diary and tat before and after meals for a few months and you'd have far less diabetics on that downward slope.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Active Member

I do have a bad habit of testing to often i sometimes do about 10 tests a day i just hate it when my blood sugars to high

• Like Like x 1
  3. Footrest

Footrest Type 2 · Member

I too was advised by both nurses and docs not to test. Although I now have a meter I don’t necessarily disagree with them as one can become fixated on the meter and end up living by it when really a good diet and active lifestyle is most likely the best one can do to keep t2d under control.
    I only test myself a few times a week at fixed times right now- that may change over time.

4. Boo1979

Boo1979 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get strips on prescription due to being on Gliclizide
    At one point the surgery stopped the prescription and when I queried it I was told by the practice manager that T2 donkt need to test because all it does is make people anxious. I drew the Gps attention to the Nice guidance re prescribing strips for people on sulfonylureas and the requirement for us tobe testing BS prior to driving and my prescription was reinstated. I periodically end up going through the same process again but what Ive noticed is that its usually toward the end of the financial year and a pointed letter to one of the practce partner GPs soon sorts it out

• Like Like x 1
  5. 123657

123657 · Active Member

i think you should test your sugars weekly every year its up to you to do this or get someone to help you to test your sugar levels if you are not well enough to do it help and support to any casualty is very important

6. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Please help someone I cannot remember their I'd but they have me a site for a tester and strips at a good price but I can't find it now.The were called Yes something I want to purchase one.Can they please send it to me again please.

7. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/caresens-n/
    Not me you are referring to ! but I can suggest an excellent site they do free meters including dual meters with ketone testers it’s a care sens meter with 3 different models on offer for free and also free lancing pens the strips for their tee 2 meter are 7.75 for 50 and for the dual meter which I have are 9.95 for 50. They also do free lancet pens you just need to pay for lancets which work out about 4 quid for a pack and they deliver quite quickly. Amazon do a code free meter for about 14 with strips at a similar price to the tee2 hope this helps you

8. Lucia-212

Lucia-212 Type 2 · Newbie

I have been told I can’t test but have been told to alway assume that my blood glucose is high
    Type 2

9. Motherhen2014

Thank you so much it was the Tee2 I wanted won't get the one with Keytones as I don't understand them.But thank you for your help.It is all ordered now thank you.x

• Like Like x 1
  10. Motherhen2014

I am now testing my glucose with my own tester and strips.My doctor told me I don't need to test and stopped prescribing tester strips and needles.I have always worried if my glucose is raised or not.But I received my tester and strips this morning no heavy breakfast, but my reading before lunch at 2.30 was 12.1 I had breakfast at 8.40 only toast. After lunch my reading after two hours was 13.3.I had a light tea and two hours afterwards my reading was 10.3.I have nothing more to eat but it has taken till 11.45 to go down to 9.3 and my doctor says I don't need to test.

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Out of interest who has told you you cannot test? Unfortunately many T2 are told by their Diabetic nurses and/or doctors that there is no need to test but testing is one of the best ways that we have of ascertaining how different foods affect our BS.

12. tomduck

tomduck · Newbie

Yup I have been told that by my GP. She said it was a waste of time.

13. cdpm

cdpm Type 2 · Well-Known Member

when i was first diagnosed i was told 3x a week (insurance covered that many)
    and when i couldn't afford any at $1 a strip -- knowing i would
    need to test more-- i asked at a clinic and they told me that
    they would give me a free sample of 10 strips then were going
    to "wean" me back to 3x a week
    but now with insulin i get alot more covered
    but that says that without insulin they think people barely
    need to test but i got hypos on a med that is said not to
    cause hypos (metformin) and another med they told me wouldnt
    cause hypos-- gliclazide ( i cant remember how its spelled)
    and during this i still wasnt told to test or any info.
    on how to or when
    i had to learn for myself

14. fairy108_

fairy108_ Type 2 · Newbie

Hi I know how you feel ,I have had to buy a meter and all that goes with !my point is how are you going to know what affects you food wise .Its beyond belief I was diagnosed with typpe2 in November saw nurse and she said see you in 6 months ,well what help is that rea

15. Lazybones

Lazybones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To Fairy108_,
    Firstly Hi and welcome to the Diabetes UK forum. Your inital experience with the NHS is unfortunately for us Type 2's something that has become very common in recent years, but all is not lost, for if you read through the various postings here on this site, in a short time you will know more about your Type 2 dianetes and how best to control it from real people's actual diabetic experiences and not what the NHS proclaims and openly preaches.
    Diet and sencible exercise is the key to mastering Type 2 diabetes and following the LCHF diet is always a better start than the WRONG information on diet that the NHS preach.
    Regretfully and with poor forward thinking, the NHS have decided to withdraw supplying FREE blood/glucose meters and strips to us Type 2's, but the test meter is the ideal indicatior for eash INDIVIDUAL.who can then ammend their own personal choice of items within their diet as some things will give a high reading in some individuals but not necessciarly so in another individual. Most Type 2's will take an initial blood/glucose reading just before a main meal and then repeat the blood/glucose test either 1 hour later, but it's more commonly taken again 2 hours later to see what efferc (if any) the meal that they had just eaten as had on their blood/glucose levels.

Please ask any question here on this site about diabetes and how best to control it, for you will find more practical information and sensible help here, than any that the NHS currently has to offer us.
    Best wishes for the future now that you have started on the diabetic road.

• Like Like x 1
    #855 Lazybones, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  16. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told I had no need to test (Type 2, metformin) and when I self-funded a Freestyle Libre and asked to be put on the slow release tablets, and asked my GP to sign a certificate to carry the Libre and spares on a flight, he told me I had “wasted my money”.

When I halved my A1C from 111-59 he was grudging and admitted that it had helped, but then followed it up with that it was OBVIOUSLY down to the meds.

I know someone else in the region who was also diagnosed last year, and they have been told the same, and duly take Metformin, complaining about the side effects yet won’t ask to try the slow release, and showed absolutely no interest in any type of testing, despite not bringing their BG down as much as their GP wanted.

At the end of the day it is down to the individual. If you can afford to self-fund to test then do. Friend can more than afford to test, and just won’t .. so that’s the choice.

Edited to add: I personally was not told I “cannot” test... just that there was no need for me to do so. I suspect people here saying the “cannot” test mean they are not being given the means to test as part of their treatment by their GP. I don’t see how they can STOP anyone from testing if they want to. You have to WANT to.

• Like Like x 2
  17. _markwilburn

_markwilburn Type 2 · Member

I was told I didn't need to test but I insisted I needed to and have reaped the rewards. Testing is a must to all you newbies and will help you take control of your condition.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know about the UK but here in Aussie our illustrious leaders have decided in their most infinite holy wisdom that supply of test strips to T2 patients will no longer be subsidised. The new protocol is now 3 monthly HbA1c tests and eat the stuff on the chart that the dietician hands to you. Pretty awful really. I accepted this for a while until I developed neuropathy in my toes and fingers. My GP checked all my HbA1c and they weren't really bad. Mostly between 6 and 6.5 over about 3 readings. I questioned the lack of self testing with the GP and asked if short duration spikes may cause neuropathy but not show up on the HbA1c as it is only an average. He agreed it was possible and referred me to a neurologist. He also agreed that it was possible. I went back to the GP and pretty well demanded that he sign the form saying that I have to self test. He was happy to oblige. Since then I've taken full control of what I eat and analysed the reaction of what I'm eating. Today it is under control and with the help of r-ALA the neuropathy is improving quickly. There is a vast amount of learning to get to this point and I understand why some people find it difficult. I suspect the health system is just too short on resources to correctly fund a decent education for sufferers so they take the easy way out.

Glenn

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Do you take strong anti oxidant food supplement for your neuropathy?

20. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there,

The only anti-oxidant I take is R-ALA. Other than metformin they are the only pills. I hate pills. My diet is not really that radical and I eat what everyone else in the house eats but I just get fussed over the carbs and weigh them first. Top up with extra meat or non carbs so I don't starve.

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook