1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by desidiabulum, Oct 30, 2014.

1. JohhnyHachoo

JohhnyHachoo · Member

I take glicazide and because I drive I was told to test before driving or driving more than 2 hours. Today, when I called about rising blood glucose levels, I was challenged as to why I tested so frequently. I know in the USA patients are encouraged to test regularly.

2. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They are also told this here in Australia as well, your GP and medical staff at the practise need pulling into line over this.

3. SuNuman

SuNuman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep me too. X

4. Dollylolly

Dollylolly Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told don’t test when diet and exercise but only told to eat of the eat well plate now guide snd walking will help me lose the weight. I wasn’t that fat to start with.
    I got to see a dietitian thinking it was an ongoing thing but wasn’t it was a one time thing instead and a complete waste of time

240g of carbs daily
    Eat starchy carbs at every meal
    Eat marg vomiting at the thought of it

I eventually had burn out and my levels spiked to 116 eekkkk as I hadn’t been for 2 years and they didn’t follow it up either
    Meds where spoken about
    Glizazide
    Metaformin
    Insulin
    Dapagliflozin

we eventually decided on the dapagliflozin as I said no to insulin right away as once on it’s hard to come off it.
    I then googled this drug and was gobsmacked it was allowed on the market. Again I was told not to test. I sited the blurb to them this can cause hypos I want test strips, meter the whole thing they reluctantly gave me a months supply.

I self fund the rest. They know this and my nurse (she’s not a diabetic one) says I shouldn’t you’ll worry and it’ll give you sore fingers. I counter it with I rather like my fingers thanks.

I’m also meant to get tested 3 monthly because of these meds to do with kidney function mainly. I had to threaten a complaint to the NHS complaints Body to the practice manager as she said yearly eh no check the NICE guidelines you’ll find it’s 3 monthly if fine it’s 6 monthly not yearly.
    Strangely I’ve now been twice for a review.

Strangely nurse asks for my results and I asked why I’m not meant to test. This same nurse said I could eat bananas without spiking yeah dear how would I know if I didn’t have a monitor to check. She muttered under her breath at me. I’m just a T2.
    I lost my temper and said yes I’m T2D but this condition can kill me if I’m not looked after by the medical profession as I’m meant to be. You my dear have no clues and shouldn’t be parting with advice on said condition.

Oh and I’ve hypod on this med why and how don’t take if fasting ever. I was called a liar so I sent my screen shot of my monitor. Plus If doing hitts and no breakfast you can hypo and again nurse said I was lying. I’ve actually complained about this nurse and rarely see her these days but if I do I just kill her with kindness. Site NICE guidelines to her and an email to low carbing as I quote I’m on a fad diet.

Hoping to be off the meds soon too

5. dcle2021

dcle2021 Type 2 · Active Member

I was told that HBA1C was a valid enough measurement that they would not do fasting glucose tests or other diagnostic tests. I am actively refused such tests and it is only at the second NICE intervention stage (sugar lowering drugs, after metformin) that they will provide a sugar testing monitor/kit (because they have to, or I could have a hypo if I take these drugs).

The reluctance to actually perform tests in the NHS is down to the NICE guidance for practitioners which is here, and is based solely on HBA1C. Its not acceptable, and I believe the scale of misdiagnosis is huge. The NHS is chasing increasingly marginal numbers on HBA1C - and I am not convinced (like in the case of the body-mass-index, which is based on population samples from as far back as the 1830s, although I think the NHS did some adoption work in the early years of its founding in the 1950s : in both cases, when malnutrition was still a thing) that they have sufficient background research to justify that approach.

6. dcle2021

Apologies forgot to post the link: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28

7. dcle2021

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook