Having Problems with Keto

Conrad74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I’ve been on a keto diet for almost 8 months. At first, my blood sugars were great. I did only loose 15 lbs in all this time. My total carbs per day I keep under 20g. My protein intake is moderate. My total calories around 1500 a day. My diet hasn’t changed much at all in the almost 8 months, but my blood sugars are getting out off control. My fasting blood sugars are constantly in the mid teens now, and I have to take 12 units of novorapid to get them under control. Before I started the keto diet, 12 units of novorapid would have been enough to cover 90g of carbs for me. I don’t understand what’s going on.

Conrad74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I should also mention that I’m type 2. My A1C after 4 months (September) was 6%. Have to do another one soon. It’s been about 2 months now with horrible blood readings.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
What exactly are you eating in a day
Have you tried IF

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should also mention that I’m type 2. My A1C after 4 months (September) was 6%. Have to do another one soon. It’s been about 2 months now with horrible blood readings.
How long ago were you diagnosed and what tests were done to confirm the diagnosis?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd check the T2 diagnosis... Might be late onset T1, with that tiny amount of carbs, still needing insulin and numbers going up.... Or something's going wrong somewhere with the diet, but you sound like you know exactly what's going in... Could you share what a day looks like, meal-wise, and whether you were tested for late onset T1?

M

Member496333

Very peculiar. As others have alluded to, it seems like perhaps your endogenous insulin levels are waning, thus increasing the amount of exogenous required to counter. Perhaps you may have been in what I often see T1s refer to as the “honeymoon period”? I have been reading recently on lesser known phenomenon such as hyperglucagonemia which can cause excessive gluconeogenesis but that’s probably complicating things unnecessarily for the purposes of this discussion.

Personally I feel that you should seek medical advice as a first priority.

Last edited by a moderator:

Conrad74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in July 2017. At that time my A1C was 13.8%. I saw and endocrinologist who diagnosed me with type 2. I was put straight on metformin and insulin. I’m 44 years old. I only eat once a day at supper time. Usually have some kind of meat, dark green vegetables with butter and salt on it. Abseloutly no grains, sugars of any kind. I’ve also been going through laser eye surgery and eye injections since October because of many many years of eye damage caused by diabetes before I was diagnosed.

Conrad74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My BS always start off very high in the day. At bedtime (5-6 hours after eating) they are usually in the 6-7 range.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried eating in the morning. I find having a mini baby bel as soon as I get up helps keep it even. Also eating too late can have a knock on effect the following day.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For 2hrs post prandial it would be normal under 7.8
5 or 6 hours later I personally would like a 6 in ideal world. Not quite long enough after food to be classed as fasting where normal is under 5.5

By the time Conrad is getting these numbers he’s had a fair bit of insulin to get him there though, much more than he used to need.

M

Member496333

For 2hrs post prandial it would be normal under 7.8
5 or 6 hours later I personally would like a 6 in ideal world. Not quite long enough after food to be classed as fasting where normal is under 5.5

By the time Conrad is getting these numbers he’s had a fair bit of insulin to get him there though, much more than he used to need.

Without wishing to cause offence to anyone, I’m inclined to agree. Whilst ~7mmol/L can’t really be classed as a toxic glucose concentration, it almost certainly implies that there’s quite a lot of insulin still sloshing about. Not dangerous necessarily but suboptimal for reducing insulin resistance in the longer term, and not a good place to be in if you’re trying to burn stored body fat. Having said all that, there was a period when I’d never see numbers like that at any time of day or night, so I’m most definitely not judging or imposing my own goals on anyone else! :D

Reactions: HSSS