Having trouble getting blood!

J-Bee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They say you can't get blood out of a stone well I am struggling to get blood from my finger. I was only diagnosed on 20th Dec and was given tablets and a blood monitoring device on 29th. I only have to get blood twice a day first thing and 2 hours after dinner but I cannot get anything other than sore fingers and red marks or bruises. Finger tips bruise and side of fingers won't yield blood. I am getting so stressed with it and usually give up after 20 to 30 minutes. Evenings are far harder than mornings. Does anyone have any sensible ideas please? I don't want to injure my fingers as I am a crafter and need my fingers!
Thank you

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@J-Bee
Welcome to the forum

Have you tried, when washing your hands immediately before testing, to use warm/hot water? If you try this, and then a vigorous rub with the towel to dry them, your circulation to your fingers should be improved and will make the blood flow more freely.

Hope it works for you, as it does for me!!! Also, another perk of washing in hot'ish water, is that you may be able to turn down the setting on your lancet, hence not being so sore.

Having said that, what setting/what lancet do you use?

J-Bee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@J-Bee
Welcome to the forum

Have you tried, when washing your hands immediately before testing, to use warm/hot water? If you try this, and then a vigorous rub with the towel to dry them, your circulation to your fingers should be improved and will make the blood flow more freely.

Hope it works for you, as it does for me!!! Also, another perk of washing in hot'ish water, is that you may be able to turn down the setting on your lancet, hence not being so sore.

Having said that, what setting/what lancet do you use?
Thanks for the reply - I do use warm water and tonight I even went out for a brisk walk to try and get blood circulating more. My monitor is an Aga Matrix and I had it set on 4 but have turned it up to 6 as I keep failing. This morning I did it snuggled under the duvet with more success, but tonight nothing other than red patches.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply - I do use warm water and tonight I even went out for a brisk walk to try and get blood circulating more. My monitor is an Aga Matrix and I had it set on 4 but have turned it up to 6 as I keep failing. This morning I did it snuggled under the duvet with more success, but tonight nothing other than red patches.
I like the idea of staying snuggled under the duvet ;) That does suggest it's to do with how warm you are when testing.

Two things spring to mind -
1) Try soaking your hand in hot water for a while before using the lancet
2) Try a different lancing device - maybe some members on here can suggest ones that are likely to help?

Another option, but it's an expensive option, would be to use Abbott Freestyle Libre which has sensors you apply once every two weeks and then just scan the sensor. However, the sensors don't always survive the 14 days (for various reasons) and some people feel they're not as accurate as they'd liked/expected. These don't test blood - they check the glucose level in interstitial fluid and, if the level is changing (particularly if rapidly) the Libre can be up to 15-20 mins behind the 'real' level. I have one and love it but sometimes wonder about justifying the expense. I've found it to be very informative. However, the levels aren't really suitable for calculating insulin doses and, if driving, not accepted as a method of testing prior to testing - finger prick is still required.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure some others will be posting with other/better ideas before long :)

Reactions: J-Bee

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is an old thread, but I found it, and want to comment on getting blood out of a finger. I have sometimes had to try all five fingers on one hand before getting enough blood out. I now use the Canyita blood lancing pen from Amazon, but I press the button 3 or 4 times to be sure to get enough blood. I think - although this is unscientific and anecdotal, that when BG is around 7-8 the blood comes out OK, and when BG is 9-10 it is harder. It just seems to me that when your blood is more treacly, it won't flow as well? That could just be me surmising it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is an old thread, but I found it, and want to comment on getting blood out of a finger. I have sometimes had to try all five fingers on one hand before getting enough blood out. I now use the Canyita blood lancing pen from Amazon, but I press the button 3 or 4 times to be sure to get enough blood. I think - although this is unscientific and anecdotal, that when BG is around 7-8 the blood comes out OK, and when BG is 9-10 it is harder. It just seems to me that when your blood is more treacly, it won't flow as well? That could just be me surmising it.

I think you're spot on actually. When I do a finger prick check and it comes out like water, I know that it's low before the check. When it comes out thicker I know that it's higher.

Reactions: Languagelearner

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I now use the Canyita blood lancing pen from Amazon,
It's a bit overkill for getting a drop of blood onto a strip, it looks like something a vet would use on a horse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancet-Copper-Lancing-Cupping-Lancets/dp/B07ZSFTPR6

I have used both a Accu-Chek multiclix and a fastclix lancing device since I was diagnosed, and I have never had a problem getting a small sample to test on the strip.

https://www.accu-chek.com.au/lancing-devices/fastclix

Reactions: Languagelearner

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a bit overkill for getting a drop of blood onto a strip, it looks like something a vet would use on a horse.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lancet-Copper-Lancing-Cupping-Lancets/dp/B07ZSFTPR6

I have used both a Accu-Chek multiclix and a fastclix lancing device since I was diagnosed, and I have never had a problem getting a small sample to test on the strip.

https://www.accu-chek.com.au/lancing-devices/fastclix
Yes, that's the one. If I ever need a replacement, I'll check out the Accu-Chek. I've got two lancing devices at the moment, as I think a spare is always good.

Help_n_info

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think you're spot on actually. When I do a finger prick check and it comes out like water, I know that it's low before the check. When it comes out thicker I know that it's higher.