hb1ac 5.6%

israr

hi, my hb1ac is 5.6% which is within normal range. am i diabetic? i m not on any medicine at the moment. what other test i should do. 2 months ago i did ogtt and dr. said i m t2. bit confused. an other test will done by end of this month. thanks to all

AMBrennan

Well, since you are on "diet and mild exercise" your HbA1c will naturally be unreliable for diagnosing diabetes since the treatment aim is to have glucose levels as close to those found in the healthy population as possible.

So I am afraid that you are indeed diabetic, but evidently you are able to manage it extremely well without medication.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think the view here is that if, after testing, the doc says you are T2, then you are.

.....However, if you HbA1c is 5.6, you are doing really well in controlling it and should continue doing what you're doing.

Your doc will keep an eye on you (maybe only every 6 months) but probably little else if you continue at this level.

NHS opinion seems to be that once diagnosed, you are never really "cured" in that your body has shown that under one set of conditions, it has been unable to maintain a normal BG level.

I would suggest that you should be pleased that it's been picked up early and you seem to be able to control it relatively easily.

israr

thanks for your comments, i will have another test in two weeks time which is three months after first. i will post my result then. i have totaly cut on white sugars. walking for 30 minutes everyday. no medication. i do check my bg few times a day which show within normal range. i think it is good control.