Type 2 Hb1Ac Date Question

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning all my friends,my last Hb1Ac fasting test was on April 6th please could anyone tell me when should I book my next test,is it 3 months or 90 days ,the receptionist at the surgery has said that it is on July 28th(that seems wrong to me) ,I have tried to work it out but keep getting a different answer's each time,my surgery will only book blood tests 6 weeks prior to the actual test,thank you:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mine every 6 months.. I doubt the 90 day or 3 month date would be much different.. 28th July does sound odd unless it is 6 months after your Jan test?

Reactions: wiseowl_123
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see what's wrong with it. There is no point having Hba1c tests more often than every three months and April 6th to July 28 is nearly four months.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I was saying its 4 months not 3 months,The receptionist got it wrong:)
You are missing my point a little. It has to be more than three months. It is not necessary for it to be three months to the day. Reception just gave you a suitable appointment more than three months since the last one.

D

Deleted Account

Personally, I don't give too much sway to my HbA1c. It is a useful indicator for doctors to see how well you are doing. However, as it is an average, it does not show whether your BG has been level or up and down. The only way to see this is regular testing at home with a finger prick or with a Libre if you can afford one.
With this in mind, I would not worry about waiting a month longer than you expect for your next HbA1C test.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what your rules are there... although here they tend to only do hbA1c once a year... sometimes every 6 months if they think you aren't doing too well. I'm due mine again and have the pathology form to get it done. I'm not holding my breath on much improvement with all the rubbish I've been dealing with as my BGL's have been going up and down like a yo-yo with the pain, etc. But if I have any improvement at all I'll be happy. I'm usually always under 7% but I'd like to be a lot lower... docs tell me I'm doing well considering what I'm having to deal with.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what your rules are there... although here they tend to only do hbA1c once a year... sometimes every 6 months if they think you aren't doing too well.

It's flexible and whether the DN wants to keep a close eye on you or not. Initially, for me, it was every three months, then every six months and this time I did not get an appointment letter at all. It's either gone to annually or I've got the sack but I don't know which.

Reactions: Mep

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, the HbA1c is considered to average the blood numbers over the last 2-3 months. It's understanding that that's important. It's more important not to have them done too close together, although that would still be the last 2-3 month average.

Mine had been quite erratic; usually die to circumstances. My first after diagnosis was almost 4 months out, because I had been overseas, then followed by 3 month, then it was to go to an annual test, but circumstances got in the way, and I had a "bonus" test, per-surgery.

Try not to get too wrapped up in it. The HbA1c is the NHS "gold standard" for assessment of T2s, but it is only one part of the equation, in my opinion.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Thank you all my friends for all your valuable and friends replies they are much appreciated,I am not wrapped up on the Hb1Ac assessments,its just that when for diagnosed they were something to aim and important to your truly,for,as you know I do test regularly but the Fasting test every 3/4 months gives me also my BP//Cholesterol etc and is still important to me.perhaps to important but that may change in time;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, 3 months is the minimum. If your last HBa1C was OK, then the next one is often 6 or 12 months. BTW the HBA1c doesn't itself need to be fasting but a cholesterol test is better if fasting.

Reactions: wiseowl_123