HBA1C 10 months on.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So as you might know or see from my signature I was diagnosed about 10months ago with a HBA1c of 95. No symptoms that I was aware of or recognised. After some good work with LCHF diet I got my HBA1C down to 44 in 8 weeks - boy was I strict. But then over the following weeks my numbers came up broadly the same and my morning liver dump became a bigger issue.

I am a great fan of the Newcastle diet to - and highly recommend it particularly if your ALT is high. You can follow my ND thread here:- https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newcastle-diet.126691/

I had my HBA1C done but wanted to get some other blood work done on my liver which is not part of my GPs standard 6monthly check. My HBA1C is now 30 after completing the ND and getting through Christmas. This is with an unwelcome morning liver dump! So pretty pleased with that - but there is more....

My ALT was 40. Not NAFLD but one point away from it and this continued even when I lost a lot of weight and got my HBA1C down; I didn't seem to able to shift it. Today I received the news that my ALT score is now 18. And this I put firmly down to the ND which I think many people have posted is why it is similar to the bariatric pre surgery diet.

My ND finished in November - so I am not just out of it - I am trying to maintain a good if slightly less strict LCHF diet but my numbers are almost exactly the same as when I finished the ND. With the exception of morning liver dumps which are back as they were when last on the LCHF. That change to my liver is dramatic and I am really pleased with that. The FBG and 2 hour readings for food fell through the floor after that ND - they really did. Every carb counts for me unfortunately but now I don't get an 8 2 hours after a 7g carb meal. Sometimes just a little blip. All other bloods good - well very good - except cholesterol for those that worry about that and I don't - at the moment. It isn't a rise I am to worry about - my aim was to get Blood Sugar down and that is where I am.

During my 10months, early on I did a 5 day 600 calorie diet and that bought my numbers down a big notch. I also did a 5 day fast which was interesting and not something I will be doing too often. Thanks to Dr Fung for his very insightful fasting book.

Thanks for all the help from everyone here - and Prof Taylor for his research and everyone who is a LC fan. From those that read my posts you will know I value LC and ND equally - I think for some they might make the biggest difference when chosen together and I hope that others will be brave enough to try both as I did.

As well as many posters - there was one person who helped me out big time with great advice and support in those early days and she knows who she is I cannot thank everyone enough for responding to my stupid questions.

Reactions: Prem51

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done an amazing job and I have only admiration for you. Well done indeed.
Thank you very much. One of many posters I read who share so much good information so thank you.
Once you try the ND you will become my super hero :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done an amazing job and I have only admiration for you. Well done indeed.
I am kidding on the ND - you are a super hero anyway and I know you have very considered view on ND which I value to as you know.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much. One of many posters I read who share so much good information so thank you.
Once you try the ND you will become my super hero :)
I might just accept that challenge...or then again.. I'm not a fan of calorie restriction as you know.......

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That is a smashing improvement, well done. You have certainly come at this condition from all angles and found the way that has seen best results for you. I admire your determination (and your numbers). Keep up the great work!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Fleegle

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Total admiration and respect. I'll look into ND:happy:

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's amazing @Fleegle - huge congratulations on your latest result, testament to all the hard work you put in.
I'm interested as to the improvement due to calorie restriction as opposed to just low carb - why do you reckon this helped so much more? Asking as I'm struggling with liver dumping that improves, then worsens, then improves, then worsens - my progress isn't linear, not sure what's going on. For around 2 months I was on 1000 calories a day (couldn't manage less) and am in a dilemma to whether continue at that level for much longer or not.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow @Fleegle that's great. I followed your fast and ND with a lot of interest and admiration - not sure I could complete either.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's amazing @Fleegle - huge congratulations on your latest result, testament to all the hard work you put in.
I'm interested as to the improvement due to calorie restriction as opposed to just low carb - why do you reckon this helped so much more? Asking as I'm struggling with liver dumping that improves, then worsens, then improves, then worsens - my progress isn't linear, not sure what's going on. For around 2 months I was on 1000 calories a day (couldn't manage less) and am in a dilemma to whether continue at that level for much longer or not.

It is a good if quite emotive question @eggs11. I noticed a big step down when I did the first 5 day calorie restrictive diet and that was on the back of a thread on here about regenerating beta cells. And I thought, after reading everything I could - that why wouldn't I just try an 8 week experiment. The theory is, as you know, that the liver and then the pancreas clear out of fat and Beta cells start working again. I am unable to comment on whether that is true but here is what I do know;-
Weight loss helped but stalled the numbers.
I never got the pre-post meal numbers everyone was getting before ND.
Isnt there a theory that the liver creates more space as you drain it - perhaps ND just does the same more violently?

But here - and I am not giving anyone advice, why wouldn't you just invest 8weeks into finding out The hardest thing I have done in my life was giving up Mr Kipplings cherry bakewalls - the ND was a walk in the park!!!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow @Fleegle that's great. I followed your fast and ND with a lot of interest and admiration - not sure I could complete either.
I bet you could - but I don't think you need to your number are awesome and have been an inspiration to me.
BTW - your support and others during my experiments have kept me going so thank you.

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a good if quite emotive question @eggs11. I noticed a big step down when I did the first 5 day calorie restrictive diet and that was on the back of a thread on here about regenerating beta cells. And I thought, after reading everything I could - that why wouldn't I just try an 8 week experiment. The theory is, as you know, that the liver and then the pancreas clear out of fat and Beta cells start working again. I am unable to comment on whether that is true but here is what I do know;-
Weight loss helped but stalled the numbers.
I never got the pre-post meal numbers everyone was getting before ND.
Isnt there a theory that the liver creates more space as you drain it - perhaps ND just does the same more violently?

But here - and I am not giving anyone advice, why wouldn't you just invest 8weeks into finding out The hardest thing I have done in my life was giving up Mr Kipplings cherry bakewalls - the ND was a walk in the park!!!
Thanks @Fleegle all valuable insight and well done again!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice one Fleegie
Congratulations on the excellant results you have achieved and for having the strength of purpose to have carried on with your chosen path, despite the chorus of nay sayers

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Total admiration and respect. I'll look into ND:happy:

Sue the Newcastle Diet is a very low calorie diet, designed for those with T2. It isn't recommended for T1s.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Fleegle
You started with the same HbA1c as me (95) but have so quickly overtaken me, or should I say under taken me. Well done.