Hba1c 38!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you. I go for mine too week. Hopes down a bit from 60!

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you. I go for mine too week. Hope it is down a bit from 60!

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, as you know generally its only other diabetics who will understand why I'm so pleased

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
I'm waiting on my results had the 6 month HbA1c test yesterday (Thursday),not sure how long they will take:)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations thats great.

I also just received back my lowest ever HbA1c too, 31 or 5% in old money :)

Richram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow well done everyone!!! Hope to follow in your foot steps... what's the secret to your success? Are you all type 2? I'm trying the Low carb diet with probability a switch to the meditate Dan diet. I'm not high fat as trying to loose weight

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that trying to eat low fat will result in protein breakdown - fat in the diet doesn't equate to fat on the body. Dietary fat results in excess energy and weightloss.
When my second test result was down to 47 from 91 I didn't know if I should laugh or cry, so I did both.
Great feeling.

Richram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks I'm not doing low fat, just not high fat if that makes sense? So total calorie intake is deficit for now

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Wow well done everyone!!! Hope to follow in your foot steps... what's the secret to your success? Are you all type 2? I'm trying the Low carb diet with probability a switch to the meditate Dan diet. I'm not high fat as trying to loose weight

@Richram The weight I lost was 7 years ago after being first diagnosed I was put straight on insulin and it terrified me so I was determined to lose weight.

I ate 60g of carbs a day but did not add any extra fat as like you I understood that fat has twice the calories of carbs and protein and whenever I did add extra fat ie cheese every day my weight loss stalled.

It is quite possible to eat low carb and normal fat and dietary fat definitely can and will cause body fat as any extra calories that are not burned will be laid down as fat. The dietary fat not causing body fat was a fallacy first written in a book by Gary Taubes or Barry Groves who later edited the paragraph out of his book as it was proven to have been total rubbish. Unfortunately it was often repeated and many people seem to still think it is fact but it is not. Many members here have found what I found that adding extra fat stalled their weight loss or caused weight gain.
http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/big-fat-fake

I also gave up alcohol for about 5 months and as my weight started to fall off I was using less and less insulin and weaned myself off it completely after 12 months and then I started to eat a few more carbs daily, probably upped them to around 100 or so although I stopped counting them when I stopped using insulin.

I lost 4 stone (56lb) in the first year and another stone (14lb) in the second year and have managed to maintain that weight loss as well, I still eat low carb and normal fat and would estimate my daily fat intake at around 100 to 130 grams a day on average.

I now generally eat a lot less food than I did before my T2 diagnosis and I guess my stomach has now shrank as I used to eat like an Olympic athlete but without the training ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: noblehead

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Richram dietary fat does not make you fat if it isn't eaten along with lots of carbs. If you gain weight when you are eating extra fat then your carb (and maybe also protein) intake is still too high. For instance 60g carbs is still too high for some of us here.

I got tired of hearing that you shouldn't eat fat so I did an experiment to test if fat makes you fat.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-5-day-dairy-fat-fast.81433/

What I would suggest is to drop your carb intake until your BG readings are all in the normal range. ( It might take a while for the fasting one to become in the normal range) Eat protein at a level of 0.75-0.8 % per kg of lean body mass ( in other words your target weight) then eat fat until you are satiated. Don't use artificial low fat products or spreads. Use natural ones only.

Last edited: