Hba1c 42 to 35

gowest12

Hi there I don’t know what’s going on with me and I’ve posted a few times and I went to the doctor as I was freaking out at some of my readings I was seeing 7 and 8 even if I hadn’t eaten anything. I suffer with anxiety and depression so my doctor agreed to do a hba1c even though he said it’s usually yearly. And last October it was my first ever hba1c which came back at 42 and the one he repeated on Friday has come back today at 35! Yet this morning. Again I’m seeing higher numbers! I don’t get it and it’s making me feel I can’t trust the hba1c and want to get another done privately! I can’t help feeling it’s wrong! Is it possible that I get spikes due to anxiety and then they drop back to normal??? Please help as I don’t think I can live like this anymore. He has upped my dose of antidepressants but I’m just not convinced with the hba1c should I get another one done private to compare???

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi gowest - you do see this is good news? The A1c is clearly showing that your BG is low. I think you've put your finger on it when you associate it with your anxiety. I know you've been told this before, but you can't equate a one-off fingerprick test with a three month average A1c test. Nor can you predict an A1c from the single fingerprick.

For anyone doing fingerprick morning readings these often tend to be the highest of the day. Mine are often around 6. This isn't anything to do with what you ate, but it's your liver pumping stored glucose into your bloodstream to get you going. I would guess if you're anxious around testing, then the adrenaline will drive your stress and the liver may pump a little bit more.

As for getting another A1c done - it's your money but I don't recall anyone on the forums ever having a run of "wrong" A1c results. It is entirely possible that a private test would be processed by the same lab that did your NHS test.

My advice would be to try and relax a little. There is absolutely no indication from the results you have posted that you are diabetic.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you tested your blood every 5 minutes for 3 months, and divided the total by the number of tests done that would be your Hba1C. Among those figures would be many lowish readings, and many very high readings but what counts is the average. If you tested whilst high it would frighten you, if low you'd feel very pleased. BUT you would not be seeing the wood for the trees. 35 is excellent, stop worrying, you're only raising your levels by worrying, and that figure is NON diabetic.

• Agree
Reactions: saky and catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
feel I can’t trust the hba1c and want to get another done privately!
Why do you think a test you have to pay for will be any more reliable than the one your Dr organised? There is every chance it could be done in the same lab.
If your private HbA1c happened to be different, which one would you trust then? Could it be that the 1st one was right after all and the 2nd one wrong, or maybe you were correct to doubt the result and it's the 2nd one that's more accurate. How would you know? Would you need a 3rd test to check the other two?
To me the problem doesn't seem to be your HbA1c results or your sugar levels, it's your anxiety and over thinking things that's causing you to suffer so much

Reactions: Redshank

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A hba1c of 35 means you had an average blood glucose of around 6.
So the occasional BG of 7 or 8 is easily possible, especially if your fasing numbers are your highest.

Reactions: ravensmitten

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, stress and anxiety can raise bg, but as your hba1c results show, a low carb way of eating helps by lowering the average.

If tests, results, numbers and data are stressful for you (as they are for many) then stop testing. You've learned enough by now to realise what certain foods do for you, you know what to avoid and what you can freely eat. So give testing a break and start relaxing and enjoying life a little more, your thehealthiest you've been for quite a while. Do try to enjoy it.

gowest12

Yes, stress and anxiety can raise bg, but as your hba1c results show, a low carb way of eating helps by lowering the average.

If tests, results, numbers and data are stressful for you (as they are for many) then stop testing. You've learned enough by now to realise what certain foods do for you, you know what to avoid and what you can freely eat. So give testing a break and start relaxing and enjoying life a little more, your thehealthiest you've been for quite a while. Do try to enjoy it.
I think I better stop testing as the thought just sends me into a panic!!! Thank you I will just stick to what I’ve been eating and hope all will be ok. When you say enjoy life I assume I should still stick to low carb otherwise I will be raising my numbers?

Reactions: Redshank

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@gowest12, it is great news about you getting a normal, and healthy even, HBA1c.

I'm pleased you are going to focus on getting better from your anxiety and panic attacks? Now that lowering your carbs has got you out of the prediabetes zone.

Reactions: hankjam

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there I don’t know what’s going on with me and I’ve posted a few times and I went to the doctor as I was freaking out at some of my readings I was seeing 7 and 8 even if I hadn’t eaten anything. I suffer with anxiety and depression so my doctor agreed to do a hba1c even though he said it’s usually yearly. And last October it was my first ever hba1c which came back at 42 and the one he repeated on Friday has come back today at 35! Yet this morning. Again I’m seeing higher numbers! I don’t get it and it’s making me feel I can’t trust the hba1c and want to get another done privately! I can’t help feeling it’s wrong! Is it possible that I get spikes due to anxiety and then they drop back to normal??? Please help as I don’t think I can live like this anymore. He has upped my dose of antidepressants but I’m just not convinced with the hba1c should I get another one done private to compare???
Your HbA1c is beautiful, and makes sense considering the changes you've made in your diet. So yay, that's working! And yes, your blood sugars can go up due to anxiety, stress and a multitude of other reasons, but you obviously have things well under control in the diet area: which'll mitigate whatever goes on due to stress. Basically, it comes down to you knocking it out of the park, so please give yourself some credit. Stick with the diet, and contrary to what I'd usually say, ditch the testing for now. It's just making you anxious, while you should be chuffed with yourself for how well you've been doing. Because you have been. Exceedingly well.

gowest12

Thank you. So I guess eating low carb helps to bring the average down anyway if we get some anxiety spikes? My doctor now said we won’t test for another year does this sound ok? I think it should be every 6 months! As it could go up a lot in one year??
Hi gowest - you do see this is good news? The A1c is clearly showing that your BG is low. I think you've put your finger on it when you associate it with your anxiety. I know you've been told this before, but you can't equate a one-off fingerprick test with a three month average A1c test. Nor can you predict an A1c from the single fingerprick.

For anyone doing fingerprick morning readings these often tend to be the highest of the day. Mine are often around 6. This isn't anything to do with what you ate, but it's your liver pumping stored glucose into your bloodstream to get you going. I would guess if you're anxious around testing, then the adrenaline will drive your stress and the liver may pump a little bit more.

As for getting another A1c done - it's your money but I don't recall anyone on the forums ever having a run of "wrong" A1c results. It is entirely possible that a private test would be processed by the same lab that did your NHS test.

My advice would be to try and relax a little. There is absolutely no indication from the results you have posted that you are diabetic.
ok so now I’m just concerned that with my anxiety it’s going to go up and even if I eat low carb I’m fighting a losing battle. I’m trying to get on top of the anxiety but I’ve suffered all my life. Maybe I will do one more HBa1C to see if it comes out the same as I think these last few days are the days I’ve seen scary numbers like 6.9 even today.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. So I guess eating low carb helps to bring the average down anyway if we get some anxiety spikes? My doctor now said we won’t test for another year does this sound ok? I think it should be every 6 months! As it could go up a lot in one year??

ok so now I’m just concerned that with my anxiety it’s going to go up and even if I eat low carb I’m fighting a losing battle. I’m trying to get on top of the anxiety but I’ve suffered all my life. Maybe I will do one more HBa1C to see if it comes out the same as I think these last few days are the days I’ve seen scary numbers like 6.9 even today.
Stress will not raise your BG anything like food does. I have no idea what "anxiety spikes" are. If you are low-carbing that will have a much greater impact than stress. And 6.9 mmol/l on a fingerprick test is in no way a "scary number". Rises and falls in blood glucose levels are perfectly normal and is the body's way of ensuring your muscles are well fuelled.

You seem determined that you will have diabetes/high blood glucose, in the teeth of all the evidence, why? You say you are fighting a losing battle when your A1c is low normal. That's not losing.

You say you are going to control your anxiety by stopping testing, but you are clearly still testing and intending to get another A1c. lt is feeding your anxiety. Another A1c test will simply show you what the last one did - an estimated average of the past three months.

In your shoes I would be more concerned about dealing with the anxiety rather than fixating on a problem you do not have.
You are not diabetic. You are eating a low carb diet. You can IMO easily leave it a year before another A1c.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you woke every morning with a reading of 10 which dropped to normal 5s and 4s throughout the day, you would not even notice a difference on the Hba1c. Most of us here have no option we ARE diabetic. Why are you in such a rush to join us when you ARE NOT diabetic. Eat sensibly low carb as you are and diabetes will probably never be problem you have to deal with.

gowest12

Stress will not raise your BG anything like food does. I have no idea what "anxiety spikes" are. If you are low-carbing that will have a much greater impact than stress. And 6.9 mmol/l on a fingerprick test is in no way a "scary number". Rises and falls in blood glucose levels are perfectly normal and is the body's way of ensuring your muscles are well fuelled.

You seem determined that you will have diabetes/high blood glucose, in the teeth of all the evidence, why? You say you are fighting a losing battle when your A1c is low normal. That's not losing.

You say you are going to control your anxiety by stopping testing, but you are clearly still testing and intending to get another A1c. lt is feeding your anxiety. Another A1c test will simply show you what the last one did - an estimated average of the past three months.

In your shoes I would be more concerned about dealing with the anxiety rather than fixating on a problem you do not have.
You are not diabetic. You are eating a low carb diet. You can IMO easily leave it a year before another A1c.
Ok thank you I’ve just spoken to my doctor and he said the same! We are going to try and deal with the anxiety now and i shoudnt have tested it today but now I’ve run out of strips I won’t buy anymore I will just keep going low carb like I have been doing. Thank you I know I need to sort this. Otherwise I will be testing non stop!!!

andromache

What HbA1c result would have reassured you? Standing back for a minute and thinking about this might give you another perspective on the anxiety that seems to be making life difficult for you.

Reactions: gowest12

GerryBolger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
try not focus too
much in the HbA1C is a measure over time (3 months). Keeping your levels in range and proper dieting and exercise is what’s needed.

You have anxiety fo a change is numbers will possibly make you more anxious but good news is you HbA1C is going the right way. Well done.

gowest12

Sorry for being a pain but this weekend i haven’t tested my blood sugar levels as I’m trying my best to not check but I’m finding it hard. Can I ask I know people say stress and anxiety can raise blood sugar but does it raise it so that it stays up for long that’s why im not convinced about my average being hba1c 35. Then I posted on some forums and I’m being told to be get another test done. Like the times I saw 8! That was well after a very low carb breakfast. And I don’t know how to progress now as I’m almost underweight I believe my lack of eating lowered the hba1c. I’m scared to snack as many sites say don’t snack the pancreas has to heal and was still eating a few lentils and beans as a side with my dinner. This diagnosis has me confused because it’s now going to be difficult keep the hba1c that low. And I’m thinking of those one off finger pricks that were 8 or 7 I’m sure they are diabetic numbers. I don’t know whether I should have another hba1c or will I just be making things worse? I’m so confused and with many people telling me that those numbers are diabetic !!! If anxiety raises it does it last long or do the spikes come down. My doctor has already told me next hba1c test in one year as there’s no need any earlier so I would have to go private test

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for being a pain but this weekend i haven’t tested my blood sugar levels as I’m trying my best to not check but I’m finding it hard. Can I ask I know people say stress and anxiety can raise blood sugar but does it raise it so that it stays up for long that’s why im not convinced about my average being hba1c 35. Then I posted on some forums and I’m being told to be get another test done. Like the times I saw 8! That was well after a very low carb breakfast. And I don’t know how to progress now as I’m almost underweight I believe my lack of eating lowered the hba1c. I’m scared to snack as many sites say don’t snack the pancreas has to heal and was still eating a few lentils and beans as a side with my dinner. This diagnosis has me confused because it’s now going to be difficult keep the hba1c that low. And I’m thinking of those one off finger pricks that were 8 or 7 I’m sure they are diabetic numbers. I don’t know whether I should have another hba1c or will I just be making things worse? I’m so confused and with many people telling me that those numbers are diabetic !!! If anxiety raises it does it last long or do the spikes come down. My doctor has already told me next hba1c test in one year as there’s no need any earlier so I would have to go private test
Hi. I would strongly recommend you follow your doctor's advice. I hope no-one on these forums has told you that readings of 7 or 8 mmol/l is a diabetic reading: it definitely is not, and is within the NICE guideline ranges. See here:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

If you have been getting "advice" from US sources it's possible they are confused. Unfortunately many people in the US don't realise that other countries don't follow their system. UK readings for fingerpricks are given in in millimoles per litre (mmol/l). However other countries may use a percentage HbA1c, which doesn't translate directly to the readings used in the UK. So if you tell someone you had a reading of 8, they might assume it's a percentage A1c and therefore give you misleading advice. I'm attaching a chart that converts one to the other.

Attachments

• HbA1c-chart.jpg
    HbA1c-chart.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 131

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At any given time, due to Stress, fatigue, illness, temperature and humidity changes, and god knows however many other foibles our bodies react which raises our blood sugar levels. NO single test on it's own can diagnose diabetes, it might be a pointer, but not an accurate one.
My car averages approx' 50 mpg,( your hba1c) but thanks to the display showing current consumption when i really give it some, that figure drops into the 5s mpg. (finger prick). By careful driving (lower carb consumption) the display mostly shows 99.9mpg. (the highest figure Ford use) again finger prick. But i know from pump to pump tests that the average is pretty close to reality.
You cannot easily refute the hba1c. Trust it. If you worry your system releases hormones etc preparing you to react to the perceived danger, thus the Liver releases sugar for the energy needed to outrun the Sabre tooth tiger or whatever else wants to eat you.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I realise I didn't reply to your point about stress. I have done a stressful two hour drive in very bad weather and seen a rise from high fours to six, if I recall correctly. Nothing eaten in that time. That's just my system ensuring I have enough fuel to cope with what I'm doing. I see similar small rises after an hour's football, again my system responding naturally and normally to "stress" - raised adrenaline and physical activity. In both cases once the "stress" stops the need to have additional fuel stops, and the liver stops adding glucose.

In no way are these "spikes", and it is misleading to call them that. They are all perfectly natural ups and downs. As you're not diabetic your system probably responds better than mine and might be much quicker at adding fuel and using it up. That is a good thing.

BTW, I don't think your pancreas "has to heal" because you've zero evidence of it being injured/damaged.