HbA1c after Xmas

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my results from a blood test I had on the 19th January which is about 3 weeks after Xmas. This time my HbA1c was 40, it was 37 six months ago, so I was disappointed but it wasn't disastrous considering. I don't have any medication and I normally stick to a fairly low carb diet, about 70g per day. However, I am a 70 year old man who is fussy about things so rather than buy me clothes that I wouldn't wear, I get food and drink for presents and it would be impolite not to enjoy them!. My relatives know about my LC diet but they have seen me have the odd square of dark chocolate and they know I drink red wine so obviously loads of chocolate and bottles of port would be ok. There seems to be a misconception about T2D that there are some foods we can have and some we can't and the quantity doesn't come into it. My next test will be in July, just after a holiday in Italy with it's tempting carbs! I suppose at least I don't get a false sense of security as my tests should be the worst case.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got my results from a blood test I had on the 19th January which is about 3 weeks after Xmas. This time my HbA1c was 40, it was 37 six months ago, so I was disappointed but it wasn't disastrous considering. I don't have any medication and I normally stick to a fairly low carb diet, about 70g per day. However, I am a 70 year old man who is fussy about things so rather than buy me clothes that I wouldn't wear, I get food and drink for presents and it would be impolite not to enjoy them!. My relatives know about my LC diet but they have seen me have the odd square of dark chocolate and they know I drink red wine so obviously loads of chocolate and bottles of port would be ok. There seems to be a misconception about T2D that there are some foods we can have and some we can't and the quantity doesn't come into it. My next test will be in July, just after a holiday in Italy with it's tempting carbs! I suppose at least I don't get a false sense of security as my tests should be the worst case.

Why do you think your HBA1C went up?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's still a good result. Yes it went up, but sometimes life just gets in the way. Get back on the horse......

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’re still ‘non diabetic’. It’s that psychological 4 at the front instead of a 3 isn’t it? I have my next HbA1c next month so I’m hoping mine will still be in the 30s after my troublesome December, chest infection, steroid injection and operation!

Reactions: imperp

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly, the difference between 37 and 40 is fairly insignificant. They both mean an excellent result!
Congratulations on your great control. :D

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re still ‘non diabetic’. It’s that psychological 4 at the front instead of a 3 isn’t it? I have my next HbA1c next month so I’m hoping mine will still be in the 30s after my troublesome December, chest infection, steroid injection and operation!
I think you a right, if it had been 39, I would have been relieved, which is illogical!

Reactions: Rachox

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

When first starting a low carb diet, it is prudent to reduce your plate size as well as the amount of reducing your carb intake.
Portion control is relevant and related to how much your levels rise and how fast.
Eating one potato instead of two, will have a lower spike. And the rise to that spike will be slower depending on how much fat, you have with that potato.
It's all relative!

A great result, @Mr_Pot!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is still a great result, but I do understand your disappointment. My next to last HbA1c went up 3 points and I was devastated because I had no excuse - nowhere near Christmas, and no changes in diet or routine. 6 months later it dropped back, again no change in anything. It is a mystery why these things happen, but most people on here know my feelings about the reliability of the test and my disappointment was momentary ...... Well done Mr. Potts. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

MrPot - after my first, post-diagnosis HbA1c, I gave myself a decent talking to because I realised that going down and down, time on time, was unrealistic and furthermore life doesn't play fair, in terms of having a consistent amount of head space to be "always on" in terms of diabetes management. I don't mean it should be having a decent ignoring, but sometimes life means we have to shift our focus sometimes. I decided to allow myself a window of =/- a figure.

In more recent times,my HbA1c has literally toggled 31/33/31/33 a so on. Why? I have no idea, although the elevated times have been linked with times when my life has had more stress in it, but provided I stay within my +/- tolerance I'm fine.

If the trend starts to shift, or if other markers suggest my health might be slipping, then clearly I would have to rrefocus my efforts.

Don't be too hard on yourself. As well as having decent control, we do have a duty to ourselves to enjoy our lives and enjoy those we love. Diabetes is important, but over the longer term it can't be all consuming. We can only give it our best efforts on the day, bearing in mind any other factors (ill-health, poor sleep, exercise, stress, holidays, or even the weather) in play.

Reactions: Rachox