HBA1C and Freestyle Libre

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone
I'm wondering what difference Freestyle Libre users find between the estimated HBA1C on the app and actual blood test results?

Thanks

Gill

TypeZero.

Hi everyone
I'm wondering what difference Freestyle Libre users find between the estimated HBA1C on the app and actual blood test results?

Thanks

Gill

Well I’ve heard from people that the Libre HbA1C is a bit higher than the actual HbA1C but for me it’s the other way round.

You can sort of guess, if Libre BG is usually higher than your actual blood glucose then your HbA1C on Libre will be higher

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre estimated HBa1c has been close to the actual number number for me. I have only only used sensors occasionally, so differences have been expected. May be different for people with volatile blood glucose, because of the 10-15 minute delay between blood glucose and interstitial fluid glucose.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends how close the libre is your blood test results, for some its a lot more accurate than for others, mine tends to show lower than I actually am, therefore the HbA1C is estimate is lower than I actually am.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me the libre estimated hba1c has consistently been 8 mmol/mol lower than lab hba1c's over 3 years.
This also fits the difference I see between fingerprick tests and Libre scans perfectly, Libre usually reads between 0.8 and 2.0 mmol/l lower than a finger prick for me.

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me the libre estimated hba1c has consistently been 8 mmol/mol lower than lab hba1c's over 3 years.
This also fits the difference I see between fingerprick tests and Libre scans perfectly, Libre usually reads between 0.8 and 2.0 mmol/l lower than a finger prick for me.

Thanks for that folks, mine run 0.6 to 0.8 lower than my actual BG so I guess I should expect a similar difference on the HBA1C done at the Clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Antje77

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think we all like to know our up to date HBA1C, but This year I didn’t have a blood test done before my phone consult meeting and my monitor is not set up for it either. The consultant was interested in time in range and the above and below. Though I apparently I have mine set tighter than they generally look between. Interesting!

Reactions: oldgreymare

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My last blood HbA1c was 41, and the Libre estimate was 37 (5.5), a difference of 4mml, Libre being lower. This was in September 2020. I only had the blood test done because I could combine it with the flu jab. I’ve been reluctant to visit the surgery recently, in fact since early March.
I find sensors are much better, more accurate, than they used to be but even so some still read consistently up to 5 - 6 mml higher or lower than bloods.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My actual hba1c was 50 and my libre was saying it was 50.

Not bad.

Reactions: Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

Thanks

Gill
Hi, I recently had my hba1c blood result and it was 30 (4.9? equivalent) yet on my libre it was 40 (5.8%) - I queried the blood test result as it seems so low relative to all my readings (which I have been following closely, as well as what levels in went to during my sleep) and his response was something about there being an inaccurate reading that could be out by 10 at either end of the scale (really low (like me) or really high). Has anyone else experienced this?