HbA1c associated with cancer risk, independent of diabetes

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Even more reason to keep your BG under tight control:
The data reveal that chronic hyperglycaemia correlates with increased cancer risk for a number of cancers, except prostate cancer. Evidence is also provided that risk is already increased in the pre-diabetic and normal ranges for several cancers.

These results merit urgent investigation into the risks and advantages of updating recommendations for stricter glycaemic control in diabetic and non-diabetic subjects, as this could help reduce the risk of cancer incidence and mortality.

http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/bjc2014150a.html

The paper is behind a pay wall, so it's difficult to tell much about the size of the risk, and the influence of HbA1c on it. The fact that they mention "non-diabetic" subjects means that there is probably in increased risk even bellow HbA1c of 7%.

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Interesting but you'd be hard pressed to find anything that isn't linked with cancer nowadays !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I find the whole 'Starve the cancer cells' by running your body on Ketones instead of glucose theory very positive indeed.
I remember reading a Dr Mercola article a while back on the matter and thinking to myself that maybe my ketogenic diet might save more than just my limbs and eyesight after all.:)

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember reading a Dr Mercola article a while back on the matter and thinking to myself that maybe my ketogenic diet might save more than just my limbs and eyesight after all.:)

What is the current thinking about ketones affecting kidney function? I vaguely remember that this was an argument used by the anti-Atkins brigade, but I'm afraid I haven't kept track since then.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
What is the current thinking about ketones affecting kidney function? I vaguely remember that this was an argument used by the anti-Atkins brigade, but I'm afraid I haven't kept track since then.

I guess there are a multitude of studies out there on the matter which may conflict with each other and for a while this matter did concern me as I do have reduced kidney function but my anecdotal evidence and that of a few others I've seen on various forums have seen an improvement in eGFR numbers since following LCHF or a ketogenic dietary regime.

Reactions: 2 people

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only cancer but also dementia and heart problems are linked to high "normal" bg. So, if the "normal" range makes you ill, is the range really normal?

Reactions: 2 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

After five years low carb it's had no detrimental effect on my kidney function last GFR >90

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone read Thomas Seyfried's book, "Cancer as a metabolic disease"? I've heard good things about it, but haven't had chance to read it yet.