Hba1C at 38 6 months after diagnosis

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:happy::happy::happy: I've just had my first Hba1c after being diagnosed in March, and the results came back at 38 |(5.6%). Been on LCHF for most of that time, but in the process of switching to a ketogenic diet to help with my energy levels.

Previous Hba1c results 30th Jan 2023 123 (13.4%) and 16th March 2023 109 (12.1%)

As you can imagine I am very happy with this state of affairs. next step to to book an appointment with my DN to see if I can chop my metformin dose (200mg daily) in half. :joyful::cool:

Last edited:

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations and well done.
I too dropped to 38 and my DNurse stopped my Metformin completely.
I’m doing fine without it, my tummy is a lot happier. Have another bloods test in 3 months to see how I’m doing, hoping for another 38 without any meds.
Keep doing what you’re doing

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my latest set of blood results back. Latest Hba1c at 35 :) :cool:, all other results with range except my cholesterol which was slightly raised at 5.2.

Had an appointment with my Diabetic Nurse who was amazed at my progress, asked me how I was doing it. I explained that I was operating on less than 40g carbs per day but didn't mention the dreaded "keto" word because I didn't want to spook her. She asked if I was taking the statins they'd prescribed, and when I said no, she removed them from my standing prescription and I got the standard warning about watching my fat intake ;).

The upshot of all this is that she's reduced my metformin dose to 1 500mg tablet a day, asked me to schedule another Hba1c for mid April with a view to coming off metformin altogether.

I was a little disappointed, as I was hoping to come off the metformin after a 2nd consecutive normal range Hba1c result, but I'll take what I can get :)

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Latest Hba1c at 35 (5.4%) from last week, which is the same as that from Dec 23. It looks like I have achieved stability. Now to persuade my DN to take me off my minimal metformin dose, so I can be diet controlled :) :cool:

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have patient control so if you want to come off metformin you can tell the DN that’s what you’re going to do and you’d like her support in giving it a trial run? Obviously this is not medical advice but like the statins you have a choice To take them or not.
You are doing brilliantly well and an inspiration.

• Friendly
Reactions: Impy

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's so good to hear - very well done. Allow yourself to feel really proud of what you have achieved.

Reactions: Impy