HBA1C. Elevated Trying To Work Out Why

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello just trying to fathom why my HBA1C has elevated from 52 to13.6 . Is there a clue in other blood tests, I also have under active
thyroid. Not on meds for diabetes so have been reasonably good
HBA1C wise usually. 53, 52 not great but only diet controlled.

Have had an infection recently, bit of stress, trying to figure out
if it could be worth trying to get an all day/night monitors or should I just wait and request further test.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening @Tiz.

What was your most recent HbA1c result, please? (The 13.6 figure quoted doesn't look right).
Do you test your blood glucose at home with a meter and strips or rely on HbA1c tests at present?

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I do not test regularly which I should do. Recent years HBA1C has been 53,52. But recently had blood test I may have got this wrong but given figure 125 which I converted to 13.6 may have got this wrong. Waiting for further blood tests which may suggest a reason. Considering getting a all day/night monitor but just thought
I would ask. Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello just trying to fathom why my HBA1C has elevated from 52 to13.6 . Is there a clue in other blood tests, I also have under active
thyroid. Not on meds for diabetes so have been reasonably good
HBA1C wise usually. 53, 52 not great but only diet controlled.

Have had an infection recently, bit of stress, trying to figure out
if it could be worth trying to get an all day/night monitors or should I just wait and request further test.
Going to a HbA1C of 125 is quite the difference... I don't know how long you've been battling infection and/or stress, but those can make numbers go up.... But since a HbA1c is an average of 3 months, weighing more heavily on the most recent weeks, it's... It's high. (And the conversion to 13.6 made little sense, so thanks for adding the 125 in later in the thread!).

You could get a CGM while adjusting your diet for the time being. Dunno if you can go for long walks -well aware they're not an option for everyone- but if you could fit one in here and there, that'd be good too. Not just to lower blood glucose after a meal, but it should reduce stress a little as well.

I don't know if this is a temporary thing due to the infection and recent stresses, or whether your diabetes has just plain gotten worse, but in either scenario, information is helpful, and a CGM would provide you with it. Take note of your meals, drinks and meds, match them with numbers that spike or dip.... If it's a temporary thing you could just go very low carb for a while until things normalise some. If it's a long-term thing, it's time to adjust your diet for the duration, if you're up for that. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help some.

In any case, here's a vote for a CGM. And you might want to check whether your thyroid hormone needs adjusting, the need for it doesn't always stay the same. (I used to be on 175micrograms, now on 100, and being off-kilter there can affect blood glucose.).

Good luck!
Jo

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Tiz - are you UK based? If so, then the 125 figure is not great (I was 123 when initially diagnosed). I would recommend getting a glucose monitor and starting to test your blood glucose level regularly (ideally before you eat and then 2 hours after you take the first bite of your meal). Although a CGM as Jo has suggested is a good idea too.

If you're not following a low carb way of eating, I would seriously consider looking at that, as many of us on this forum have used that to get our blood glucose levels down and it may be help you do the same. If you haven't already, please take a look at Jo's blog (linked in her signature above).

Good luck

Impy

• Friendly
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest if I’d had such a big jump in numbers I wouldn’t be waiting I would be getting in touch with my GP ASAP, in fact I’m surprised they haven’t contacted you with such a steep rise. Even with infection, illness & stress you say you’ve been having I wouldn’t have thought it would cause such a big rise a couple of points maybe but more than double doesn’t sound like it’s just down to those reasons

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going to a HbA1C of 125 is quite the difference... I don't know how long you've been battling infection and/or stress, but those can make numbers go up.... But since a HbA1c is an average of 3 months, weighing more heavily on the most recent weeks, it's... It's high. (And the conversion to 13.6 made little sense, so thanks for adding the 125 in later in the thread!).

You could get a CGM while adjusting your diet for the time being. Dunno if you can go for long walks -well aware they're not an option for everyone- but if you could fit one in here and there, that'd be good too. Not just to lower blood glucose after a meal, but it should reduce stress a little as well.

I don't know if this is a temporary thing due to the infection and recent stresses, or whether your diabetes has just plain gotten worse, but in either scenario, information is helpful, and a CGM would provide you with it. Take note of your meals, drinks and meds, match them with numbers that spike or dip.... If it's a temporary thing you could just go very low carb for a while until things normalise some. If it's a long-term thing, it's time to adjust your diet for the duration, if you're up for that. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help some.

In any case, here's a vote for a CGM. And you might want to check whether your thyroid hormone needs adjusting, the need for it doesn't always stay the same. (I used to be on 175micrograms, now on 100, and being off-kilter there can affect blood glucose.).

Good luck!
Jo

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks been put on an antibiotic and Gliclazide 80mg twice a day,with further blood tests taken. My sugars when reasonable we're always a bit high early morning, I struggled with breakfast.

Now as Gliclazide needs to be taken whole with water then food.
Evening meal not a problem. But I cannot work out how much food
breakfast time or up to 10 am should I take. Gone off my food just now anyway. So yogurt,or porridge, half a sandwich. Evening meal not a problem. Not sure how quickly Gliclazide suppose to work, hoping to get an idea next week if something else is causing sugars to be high. The monitor CGM you mention I am type 2 does that work with a mobile phone? Need to think about it using finger pricking monitor currently. Thanks for help

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks been put on an antibiotic and Gliclazide 80mg twice a day,with further blood tests taken. My sugars when reasonable we're always a bit high early morning, I struggled with breakfast.

breakfast time or up to 10 am should I take. Gone off my food just now anyway. So yogurt,or porridge, half a sandwich. Evening meal not a problem. Not sure how quickly Gliclazide suppose to work, hoping to get an idea next week if something else is causing sugars to be high. The monitor CGM you mention I am type 2 does that work with a mobile phone? Need to think about it using finger pricking monitor currently. Thanks for help
Morning @Tiz.

I'm a former gliclazide user (2003-2018). I found it effective, even after my health improved and I'd reduced the daily dose (with advice from my GP) to 40 mg. Unlike some medication, the effects of which are cumulative, gliclazide works within hours. Over some 15 years, I was not aware of side effects, but some patients complain of weight gain.

Many of us here find porridge and breakfast cereals too high in carbohydrates for type 2 diabetics to handle, especially at breakfast when insulin resistance tends to be highest. You'll find lots of breakfast suggestions in the Food and Nutrition neighbourhood of the forum.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You'd be better off with a breakfast of eggs, bacon that sort of thing, or full fat greek yoghurt... Porridge and bread are rather high I carbs, and most people are at their most insulin resistant in the morning. At the same time, if you low carb with glic, your blood sugars could drop like a stone, so... Do keep an eye on things. And yes, a CGM often can be read out with a phone. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier