HbA1c - good result........but

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The colour of the urine, or the colour of the urine test strip?

LOL I thought urine testing using a test tube is very old method of testing for blood glucose. I don't think this method is used anymore, maybe in third world countries. I could be wrong so correct me if I am.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many years ago, when I was at school, the then ancient school lab technician told me that she had been trained to test urine specimens for diabetes by tasting the sample. (Probably would have been over 100 years since she was a young lass learning her skills). If the urine tasted sweet then she would know that the sample came from someone with diabetes. Not sure how reliable that would be, but today there are much more reliable testing methods. I think colour of pee is useful to see if one is hydrated, drinking enough fluids, but how does colour of pee determine blood glucose level?

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you use any detergents in your toilet? These may tamper with your results..

No need as picture shows the results of the book and my GP's advice
Many years ago, when I was at school, the then ancient school lab technician told me that she had been trained to test urine specimens for diabetes by tasting the sample. (Probably would have been over 100 years since she was a young lass learning her skills). If the urine tasted sweet then she would know that the sample came from someone with diabetes. Not sure how reliable that would be, but today there are much more reliable testing methods. I think colour of pee is useful to see if one is hydrated, drinking enough fluids, but how does colour of pee determine blood glucose level?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Colour of the urine
Don't have test strips

OK, thank you for the information.

Firstly, you seem to have some major misunderstandings about urine and blood glucose. I don't know whether this information came from the book you like, your doctor or another source, but if you rely on the colour of your urine as a guide to blood glucose control, then you will never know what your true blood glucose is.

The colour of urine is dependent on your level of hydration/dehydration. It has nothing to do with glucose levels.
Urine colour may be affected by certain foods (I will post some pictures below, to show what I mean).

Glucose diluted in water or urine is invisible. It does NOT affect the colour of the liquid.

If a diabetic has high blood glucose (at levels over 10 or 11 mmol/l, then their kidneys will attempt to flush the excess urine out of the blood and into the urine. Glucose in urine can be measured using urine test strips but it will only show if the blood glucose is HIGH (10+ mmol/l). Because of this, one of the symptoms of high blood glucose is excessive urination and thirst. Absence of these symptoms does NOT mean that your glucose is at healthy levels.

Healthy blood glucose levels are much lower than that (often considered to be below 7.8mmol/l according to wwwbloodsugar101.com ). So you may have blood glucose levels between 7.8mmol/l and 10+mmol/l and it will not show in the urine, yet those levels are shown (see the website I mentioned) to cause long term and progressive harm.

There is only one way for you to know how much glucose is in your blood at any time, and that is to use a blood glucose meter.
Staring into your toilet bowl may tell you that you haven't been drinking enough, or that you have eaten too many beets, or that you have blood in your urine and need to seek medical advice, but it is absolutely useless for 'divining' glucose content.

Please see the images below for what different colours of urine actually DO mean:

13-HHB-1407-The-Color-of-Pee-Infographic_FNL-finalnm.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL I thought urine testing using a test tube is very old method of testing for blood glucose. I don't think this method is used anymore, maybe in third world countries. I could be wrong so correct me if I am.

urine test strips are still used in many parts of the world, and can be purchased in the uk, over the counter.
Since they only change colour if glucose is present in the urine, they are a very basic and insensitive method of testing, although they are cheap and handy for emergencies.

Reactions: Fionaerwin

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
2016-10-19 18.42.01.jpg
No need as picture shows the results of the book and my GP's advice
urine test strips are still used in many parts of the world, and can be purchased in the uk, over the counter.
Since they only change colour if glucose is present in the urine, they are a very basic and insensitive method of testing, although they are cheap and handy for emergencies.
OK, thank you for the information.

Firstly, you seem to have some major misunderstandings about urine and blood glucose. I don't know whether this information came from the book you like, your doctor or another source, but if you rely on the colour of your urine as a guide to blood glucose control, then you will never know what your true blood glucose is.

The colour of urine is dependent on your level of hydration/dehydration. It has nothing to do with glucose levels.
Urine colour may be affected by certain foods (I will post some pictures below, to show what I mean).

Glucose diluted in water or urine is invisible. It does NOT affect the colour of the liquid.

If a diabetic has high blood glucose (at levels over 10 or 11 mmol/l, then their kidneys will attempt to flush the excess urine out of the blood and into the urine. Glucose in urine can be measured using urine test strips but it will only show if the blood glucose is HIGH (10+ mmol/l). Because of this, one of the symptoms of high blood glucose is excessive urination and thirst. Absence of these symptoms does NOT mean that your glucose is at healthy levels.

Healthy blood glucose levels are much lower than that (often considered to be below 7.8mmol/l according to wwwbloodsugar101.com ). So you may have blood glucose levels between 7.8mmol/l and 10+mmol/l and it will not show in the urine, yet those levels are shown (see the website I mentioned) to cause long term and progressive harm.

There is only one way for you to know how much glucose is in your blood at any time, and that is to use a blood glucose meter.
Staring into your toilet bowl may tell you that you haven't been drinking enough, or that you have eaten too many beets, or that you have blood in your urine and need to seek medical advice, but it is absolutely useless for 'divining' glucose content.

Please see the images below for what different colours of urine actually DO mean:

13-HHB-1407-The-Color-of-Pee-Infographic_FNL-finalnm.jpg
Thank you for all the "advice" but you've all missed the pointment
I have no other means or need of testing as my regime adopted from the book and my GP let's me know my situation. That's all I have and the picture will hopefully allow everyone to understand the results of 15 years enjoying being diabetic and the health benefits it has given me and is available to all of those with diabetes.
Rubbish the book if you so wish, but at least read it from cover to cover, then judge me

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Vitamin B complex which turns urine quite yellow if I have beetroot as well it becomes quite interesting!
CAROL

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am sorry but I don't understand the picture ?
CAROL

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are simply very lucky that these methods work for you. They wouldn't work for most of us here and that's the reason we didn't like the fact that you said

"Obtain the GL (not GI) diet book by Nigel Denby
Best book ever and not a diet just a way of life
Forget and ignore all the other suggestions

Enjoy"

I am glad it works for you :)

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am sorry but I don't understand the picture ?
CAROL

This target shows the results of my most recent blood and urine samples as held at mydiabetesmyway.co.uk at NHS SCOTLAND
The benefits of living under a Scottish parliament and continued by Ninewells hospital in Dundee
Thanks

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you are simply very lucky that these methods work for you. They wouldn't work for most of us here and that's the reason we didn't like the fact that you said

"Obtain the GL (not GI) diet book by Nigel Denby
Best book ever and not a diet just a way of life
Forget and ignore all the other suggestions

Enjoy"

I am glad it works for you :)

Thank you zand much appreciated but I do genuinely believe most people could benefit from it
It's no easy and yes I stray, but then who doesn't
Enjoy your life and I hope you always successful
It's not in the book "you never know what you can't do until you try"

Jo123

@Carina, well done on your improved hba1c.
I low carb and am currently reading about cholesterol, if I were you I would be concerned about your triglycerides.
I would try and lower them by strictly low carbing and eating extra Virgin Olive oil, oily fish, nuts the so called 'healthy' fats, and cutting drastically down on my saturated fat.
I am no expert this is just my opinion and what I would do.

Reactions: hankjam

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so looking at the 'target' graph, I see an HbA1c of 43. BP, Cholesterol & BMI. The HbA1c is of most interest to me, and I have to say I would not be satisfied with that figure. My last was 44 and I am aiming for something in the 30's. Purely subjective and personal, i know, but I don't think peering into my wee is accurate enough to push my numbers down further. Having said that quite happy to get the book from the library, and have a read

Reactions: GrannyAnnie

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 20758

Thank you for all the "advice" but you've all missed the pointment
I have no other means or need of testing as my regime adopted from the book and my GP let's me know my situation. That's all I have and the picture will hopefully allow everyone to understand the results of 15 years enjoying being diabetic and the health benefits it has given me and is available to all of those with diabetes.
Rubbish the book if you so wish, but at least read it from cover to cover, then judge me

Hi,

I can see your results from June & July are portrayed in a "traffic light" graphics style with the "Goldie Locks zone" being the green centre..

I have no wish to "diss" your book.

My genuine interest is the "pee whispering". "Live streaming." "Wet nursing".? I really don't know what this practice is called..
Do you have any literature or links to the technique?
Thanks!

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I can see your results from June & July are portrayed in a "traffic light" graphics style with the "Goldie Locks zone" being the green centre..

I have no wish to "diss" your book.

My genuine interest is the "pee whispering". "Live streaming." "Wet nursing".? I really don't know what this practice is called..
Do you have any literature or links to the technique?
Thanks!

The target graph is to encourage all registered with NHS Scotland to achieve the "golden locks standard"
Your disdain for those professionals does you no credit
The literature for all of this is in the GL book by Nigel Denby
Your choice my needs have been addressed to my satisfaction

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The target graph is to encourage all registered with NHS Scotland to achieve the "golden locks standard"
Your disdain for those professionals does you no credit
The literature for all of this is in the GL book by Nigel Denby
Your choice my needs have been addressed to my satisfaction

Brilliant. Thanks for getting back to me..
The "pee technique thing" is in the book... That's all I wanna know! Cheers for the clarification..
Your shockingly bad appraisal of my charactor and intentions indubitably drops your score too, Sir.
Though I can let this go. You have honed a keen eye for BS on the targets, judging by the format of your last test results.. :cool:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I now have my glasses on !!and I see that the picture is not what I am supposed to see when I peer into the toilet :greedy:
CAROL

janiceMT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have managed to lower my Hbaic from 8.1% to 6.9% (due to low carbing) and my GP was very pleased...........but my cholesterol has gone up to 5.6 despite the fact that I am on 40mg of Atorvastatin. He said ideally he would like to see it at 4, any suggestions how I can lower it? I am going to start eating porridge for breakfast now and see if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions on how to lower it please? thanks
loose weight try a behavioural change method.

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
loose weight try a behavioural change method.

Porridge is a great start
Also look at your portion size, amazing what 23grms of rice/pasta reduction can help reduce your cholesterol
One of the items in the "book" is that mashed potatoes are not as good as boiled potatoes