I was diagnosed type2 in july2001, still type 2 but now glucose intorerant
Cholesterol 3.5 in 2001 now 3.4
Still diet only
Why
Obtain the GL (not GI) diet book by Nigel Denby
Best book ever and not a diet just a way of life
Forget and ignore all the other suggestions

Enjoy

I would say your lack of numbers is really not selling the "best book ever"...
It might be me though.....

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Still diet only
Why

Enjoy
Thats a very bold statement for someone who has just joined the forum and not a single"in my humble opinion" to be seen..
Or are you Nigel Denby and should I claim my £5?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bold indeed and when was a type 2 diabetic not glucose intolerant? That would seem to be the very definition of the disease.

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would say your lack of numbers is really not selling the "best book ever"...
It might be me though.....

Dear hank jam
The situation is I don't have any numbers as I don't have to test
I look in the toilet every time I go and the colour (usually clear) tells me where I am
I get numbers every 6 months when my bloods are tested
My GP gave me the book 11 years ago and have used the book since
All I'm saying is have a look and see
If having used the understanding of Denby's guidance to bring me to having combatted my condition them I am entitled so suggest people have a read

Reactions: Speedbird

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dear hank jam
I look in the toilet every time I go and the colour (usually clear) tells me where I am
If having used the understanding of Denby's guidance to bring me to having combatted my condition them I am entitled so suggest people have a read
Yes you are indeed entitled to suggest people have a read. What you said was "forget and ignore all the other suggestions" and that is what has put peoples backs up. You are entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else and just because something works for you does not mean it will work for everyone.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Still diet only
Why

Enjoy
It didn't work for me, so I had to move onwards and find my own answers. Do you ask your GP for the results of all of your blood tests? What he/she says are OK may not be what many of us on this forum accept as OK.

Personally I would be unhappy with a cholesterol level as low as yours since the level which gives the lowest all cause mortality rate for women is said to be around 5.7.

Reactions: Freema

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm looking at the LCD screen of an SD Codefree, or staring into the murky waters of the WC................:D

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It didn't work for me, so I had to move onwards and find my own answers. Do you ask your GP for the results of all of your blood tests? What he/she says are OK may not be what many of us on this forum accept as OK.

Personally I would be unhappy with a cholesterol level as low as yours since the level which gives the lowest all cause mortality rate for women is said to be around 5.7.

All my results are listed on my account with : mydiabetesmyway.co. uk for NHS Scotland
My GP sends them and they have recorded all of my tests since 1991 for all treatments. MI and other heart conditions
Thank you

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, I do have the breakdown, it's as follows:-

serum triglyceride = 2.14 mml (range should be 0.0-2.0)
serum HDL cholesterol = 1.7 (range should be 0.9-2.2)
serum LDL = 2.9 (range wasn't specified on form)
total cholesterol: HDL ratio = 3.3
Your figures sound good to me. The ratios are more important than the total figure. @Brunneria posted this converter on my thread where I was asking about cholesterol, which is useful in giving you the ratios and whether they are good or not:
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi
Still diet only
Why

Enjoy
I had a quick look at a short youtube video of some of his advice and it was terrible. A bowl of whole grain high fibre cereal and a glass of orange juice for breakfast? He really has no clue about nutrition, just the usual whole grains, high fibre, 5 fruit/veg a day, fat/salt are bad for you failed advice. He thinks orange juice is healthy!! Granted, he recognizes that pastries for breakfast, a sandwich/crisps/pop for lunch, and a ready meal for dinner are not the healthiest choices, but that's the end of the positives. Here's a couple of gems from the short video: "an apple a day really does keep the doctor away" (seriously? this is the kind of advice he gives??) and "there's no such thing as good and bad food..." (really? you just told us that salty food is bad, that food with saturated fat is bad, that crisps are bad, that white bread is bad, that orange juice is good, that high fibre food is good, that low fat mayo is good, that an apple is good, etc.)

Anyway, welcome to the forum. You really don't need to be afraid of fat. Check out this site if you want to really improve your diet and insulin resistance:

www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes
www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Also, if you would like to learn about diabetes (pretty much everything you need to know), check this site out:

www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

(Yes, this is off topic of the thread. Sorry).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear hank jam

Genuine question: what is it that you think you see in the toilet that tells you 'where you are' regarding your blood glucose control?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I know exactly what you mean. I have a dear friend suffering from Arachnophobia. He checks the bath too?!

No scream. It's clean! :cool:

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Genuine question: what is it that you think you see in the toilet that tells you 'where you are' regarding your blood glucose control?
I see my urine and that is all the testing I do
No blood testing, no urine strips and no meter no pills and because of the continued advice followed from my GP and the book, I have remained on diet control since 2001. I am in the words of Michael Moseley "cured" NO I'm well controlled not cured
Thank you

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see my urine and that is all the testing I do
No blood testing, no urine strips and no meter no pills and because of the continued advice followed from my GP and the book, I have remained on diet control since 2001. I am in the words of Michael Moseley "cured" NO I'm well controlled not cured
Thank you

Sorry, but I still don't understand. What is it about your urine that makes you think your blood glucose is under control?

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know exactly what you mean. I have a dear friend suffering from Arachnophobia. He checks the bath too?!

No scream. It's clean! :cool:
It is a serious and genuine measure of my urine and that is all I need to inform me of my sugar levels

Thank you

Fionaerwin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, but I still don't understand. What is it about your urine that makes you think your blood glucose is under control?
It colour and is shown in diabetics who test their strips Easy really my GP stopped my testing 8 yrars ago because I was well controlled with his advice and the book

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The colour of the urine, or the colour of the urine test strip?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a serious and genuine measure of my urine and that is all I need to inform me of my sugar levels

Thank you

Do you use any detergents in your toilet? These may tamper with your results..