HBA1C is 8.6 is this bad?

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
My HBA1C is 8.5 how bad is this reading and how can I reduce it keeping my energy levels high.
I work long hours in Saudi and preparing foods is sometimes hard and I seem to go for quick fixes like Alpen bars, peanut butter and jam sandwichs at night biscuits with my cuppa!
I have other health issues which effect my sugar so how do I know if the Metformin is working along with the glicicide?
I keep reading cut out all my current carbs keep with fats and protein how true is this?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dadio carbs convert in our bodies to sugar, and as a T2D it is this sugar our bodies can no longer deal with efficiently. So, yes, if you and less fuel (sugar) to the fire, the fire (Blood Sugars) will die down a bit

Reactions: zand

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say the 8.9 is on the high end of the scale of "room for improvement".....

cutting carbs is the first line of defense until you build up a knowledge of your own personal carb tolerances...

the metformin only compliments you own insulin response I think....so getting the carb down will help and then you can begin testing the foods you like to eat before deciding yay or nay..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c of 8.9 is equivalent to an average of 11.6mmol/l . This means your blood glucose is running high much of the time and may be causing you damage. The UK guidelines say we shouldn't go above 8.5mmol/l at any time, so you are well above that. You are also on Gliclazide, so your levels should be a lot lower than they are.

It's your choice, but if you don't reduce your snacking and cut those carbs your levels won't come down. Instead of sandwiches for snacks, try cheese, boiled eggs, tomatoes, cold meats, nuts, salads.

Do you test your own levels with a meter. If so, the meter will tell you which foods you should cut back on.

Reactions: Prem51

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
Much appreciated, thank you

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was 10.3% to begin with, but I've brought it down by diet alone. So can you probably!

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
Just had result of latest HBA1C and very please now 53 and down to 13/3 from 14/7.
Low carbs and exercise all the way.

Reactions: Alison Campbell