Hba1c levels are they elevated

banderbear

If you've just had a fasting blood check and your hba1c levels are elevated. Tell you nurse, Doctor or Enocrinalagist that it is due to the period of cold weather that we have just had. It's true not a joke it's not bad control it's just that they a thick.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have heard that cold weather can raise blood glucose levels a little, but I doubt whether a 10-day cold snap would have much effect on a three-month-average blood test.

Can you tell us anything more about it?

Viv 8)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
viviennem said:
I have heard that cold weather can raise blood glucose levels a little, but I doubt whether a 10-day cold snap would have much effect on a three-month-average blood test.

Can you tell us anything more about it?

Viv 8)

Yes for example why everyone who has reported their HbA1c's on the forum over the past few weeks isn't saying the same thing. It's been cold for everyone.

Sounds like you got a bad result?

banderbear

Further to what i posted yesterday. If you go to: www.diabeteslibrary.org . Then look down the left hand green list you will find Hemoglobin a1c click on that then scroll down to Type 1 / Type 2 Cold Weather Increases A1C's. Read and enjoy. To those doubters it happened in 2010 also. Our cold snap didnt last Ten Days it lasted nearly five weeks. I'm not making this up and some of us who normally have excellant control as i usually do averaging 7 to 7.3 which in my case is perfectly acceptable
i do suffer from these blips as will many others.
Thanks to those who have shown an interest.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
banderbear said:
Further to what i posted yesterday. If you go to: www.diabeteslibrary.org . Then look down the left hand green list you will find Hemoglobin a1c click on that then scroll down to Type 1 / Type 2 Cold Weather Increases A1C's. Read and enjoy. To those doubters it happened in 2010 also. Our cold snap didnt last Ten Days it lasted nearly five weeks. I'm not making this up and some of us who normally have excellant control as i usually do averaging 7 to 7.3 which in my case is perfectly acceptable
i do suffer from these blips as will many others.
Thanks to those who have shown an interest.

Interesting thanks. Would point out its only one study as far as I can see and the difference it makes looks really small but an interesting effect none the less.