HBa1c result came back - totally deflated

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Needing to drop below 7.0 for my operation..

Was 7.8

Have fasted, eaten very low carb, exercised, lost 18lb in weight..

Result...7.4!

Absolutely devastated. Gutted, fed up, disillusioned....seems like I’ve worked so hard for nothing!

BloodThirsty

Was 7.8

Result...7.4!

Absolutely devastated. Gutted, fed up, disillusioned....seems like I’ve worked so hard for nothing!
Sorry to hear this, but I'm sure they will exercise a little latitude as you are only a few points out... 57.4 vs 53.0 mmol/mol.

Strange that they're stating your HbA1c in percentages when standard practice is mmol/mol to avoid confusion with mmol/l fasting blood sugar.

Anyhow, good luck and stay positive.

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally sympathise with your frustration but it’s not for nothing. Even if they delay the op again (which they might not recognising the improvement you have made in overall health) your well being is improving. Your body is healing, not as fast as you’d like, but it is happening. Try and keep going and push past this disappointment. The alternative is most like deterioration which will make you feel worse, be at higher risk of complications, lose the gains you’ve made and push the op back further.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 sorry you didnt get the number you needed but you were closer than previously. Just keep going in the right direction, you know it makes sense. Well done on making the effort and dont be deflated. Rome wasnt built in a day!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear this, but I'm sure they will exercise a little latitude as you are only a few points out... 57.4 vs 53.0 mmol/mol.

Strange that they're stating your HbA1c in percentages when standard practice is mmol/mol to avoid confusion with mmol/l fasting blood sugar.

Anyhow, good luck and stay positive.
I had to research my result, it was 57mmol/l...which is 7.4 in old money...

And no, there's no latitude where my surgeon is concerned..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 sorry you didnt get the number you needed but you were closer than previously. Just keep going in the right direction, you know it makes sense. Well done on making the effort and dont be deflated. Rome wasnt built in a day!
I hate what I eat, I fee almost permanently sick, I don't enjoy anything and I face months more of this to reach my target. I just feel as though I've sacrificed so many things for nothing

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Totally sympathise with your frustration but it’s not for nothing. Even if they delay the op again (which they might not recognising the improvement you have made in overall health) your well being is improving. Your body is healing, not as fast as you’d like, but it is happening. Try and keep going and push past this disappointment. The alternative is most like deterioration which will make you feel worse, be at higher risk of complications, lose the gains you’ve made and push the op back further.
It was below 7.0 or no op. There is no wriggle room here and, being Autistic, every little setback sets us back to square one..and I really couldn't feel much worse.

M

Member496333

7.8 on December 6th
7.4 on January 22nd - about 6 weeks..

That’s quite a short timeframe in which to expect a significant drop in HbA1c. Very much depends on the intensity of the intervention. How low is low-carb for you, and what has been the duration of your fasts?

Reactions: Ponchu

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That’s quite a short timeframe in which to expect a significant drop in HbA1c. Very much depends on the intensity of the intervention. How low is low-carb for you, and what has been the duration of your fasts?
Well there's none of the obvious carbs like bread and pasta, rice etc.

Yogurt and a couple of strawberries for breakfast (If I have one)

Salad of lettuce, watercress, cheddar cheese, a tomato, cooked meats and a pickled onion for lunch

Evening meal consisting of meat and two veg, usually broccoli and cauliflower..

2-3 cups of tea

Water..

I'd say that's pretty low carb. Fasts anything from 12-24 hours.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Was 7.8

Result...7.4!

Patrick - Oh dear. Not quite got there yet. YET.

What is the next step? Do you have an appointment at the hospital? How does that bit work?

Now is the time for calm, although I appreciate that is easy for me to say.

Reactions: knoxy55

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was below 7.0 or no op. There is no wriggle room here and, being Autistic, every little setback sets us back to square one..and I really couldn't feel much worse.
I have autistic people in my family and have some understanding of their difficulties and thought patterns. Did the surgeon specifically say absolutely no wriggle room? Even if he did, NT’s will often not be as literal in their speech, saying what sounds like absolutes when in reality it’s not that clear cut or are later prepared to change what they previously said in the light of different circumstances ie a noticeable drop in a very short space of time with significant weight loss too. I would get it confirmed from the surgeon now before diving into despair. Well actually try not to do that regardless but try and hold back reaction til then.

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate what I eat, I fee almost permanently sick, I don't enjoy anything and I face months more of this to reach my target. I just feel as though I've sacrificed so many things for nothing
What do you hate specifically ? What do you miss most? Could you try new and different low carb options? Do you think the sickness is physical or physiological in reaction to the stress and anxiety ? Are you on metformin? That makes some people feel sick

Reactions: Prem51 and knoxy55
M

Member496333

Well there's none of the obvious carbs like bread and pasta, rice etc.

Yogurt and a couple of strawberries for breakfast (If I have one)

Salad of lettuce, watercress, cheddar cheese, a tomato, cooked meats and a pickled onion for lunch

Evening meal consisting of meat and two veg, usually broccoli and cauliflower..

2-3 cups of tea

Water..

I'd say that's pretty low carb. Fasts anything from 12-24 hours.

Seems like you’re doing all the right things. It can take a long time. Try to stay positive. Despondency is likely to breed a pattern of destructive behaviour that will only make things worse.

I haven’t been following (or remembering) all your posts so apologies if it’s been discussed already elsewhere, but consider buying a set of dumbbells and doing some mild weight training. Most people find it beneficial. Personally I feel it’s the single most effective exercise method for reducing glucose concentration. Remember - as well as not putting sugar into your body - you have to use up what’s already in it. Resistance training will measurably speed this along :)

Reactions: Prem51 and knoxy55

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry @Patrick66 but in only 6 weeks you have dropped by 11mmol/mol (from 68 to 57) which is an excellent drop. 6 weeks between tests is simply not long enough and your surgeon or whoever ordered this latest blood test should have been aware of this. . The HbA1c test looks at a period of about 3 months, so there will have been a lot of glucose attached to your red blood cells from a period prior to your original test. You could have done nothing about that at all. A Fructosamine test was far more appropriate for you than an HbA1c as this test only looks at the previous 4 weeks.

Reactions: Robbity and rab5

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick - Oh dear. Not quite got there yet. YET.

What is the next step? Do you have an appointment at the hospital? How does that bit work?

Now is the time for calm, although I appreciate that is easy for me to say.
Diabetic clinic next week, then two weeks until I see the doctor.

I will drop out of time for my current pre-op to still be valid on 6th March so, in the unlikely event I ever hit 7.0 it will be a re-referral and start the process again.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Seems like you’re doing all the right things. It can take a long time. Try to stay positive. Despondency is likely to breed a pattern of destructive behaviour that will only make things worse.

I haven’t been following (or remembering) all your posts so apologies if it’s been discussed already elsewhere, but consider buying a set of dumbbells and doing some mild weight training. Most people find it beneficial. Personally I feel it’s the single most effective exercise method for reducing glucose concentration. Remember - as well as not putting sugar into your body - you have to use up what’s already in it. Resistance training will measurably speed this along :)
They will have to be very light. I have fibromyalgia and even lifting my arms can be painful and problematic at times. But thank you for the suggestion.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm so sorry @Patrick66 but in only 6 weeks you have dropped by 11mmol/mol (from 68 to 57) which is an excellent drop. 6 weeks between tests is simply not long enough and your surgeon or whoever ordered this latest blood test should have been aware of this. . The HbA1c test looks at a period of about 3 months, so there will have been a lot of glucose attached to your red blood cells from a period prior to your original test. You could have done nothing about that at all. A Fructosamine test was far more appropriate for you than an HbA1c as this test only looks at the previous 4 weeks.
It doesn't feel excellent but I appreciate your kindness.

It had to be HbA1c as that's the reading the hospital needed for my operation.