HBa1c result came back - totally deflated

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may have missed something but if it is important to reduce your BG in order to have an operation why weren't drugs prescribed in the short term?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate what I eat, I fee almost permanently sick, I don't enjoy anything and I face months more of this to reach my target. I just feel as though I've sacrificed so many things for nothing
Six weeks is really short to get a lower HbA1c, and you did get results. It'll get there! Hang on!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't feel excellent but I appreciate your kindness.

It had to be HbA1c as that's the reading the hospital needed for my operation.

I wasn't being kind, I was being honest. If you carry on keeping those carbs right down your next HbA1c will be under the required 7% I am sure. It just has to be 3 months approximately after your original one in order not to show any of your old glucose from before you started your diet. Keep going. We are all behind you.

Reactions: knoxy55

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
With your diet and fasting regimen you should cruise past 7% with one hand on the wheel. It may take time, but have faith.
Jim, do I need dumbells ?..what about those weights you can wear around your ankles and wrists ?..I'm just thinking about my fibro and issues with lifting things..

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Needing to drop below 7.0 for my operation..

Was 7.8

Have fasted, eaten very low carb, exercised, lost 18lb in weight..

Result...7.4!

Absolutely devastated. Gutted, fed up, disillusioned....seems like I’ve worked so hard for nothing!
I would not think they would worry about such a tiny difference and hopefully will go ahead with your op

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wasn't being kind, I was being honest. If you carry on keeping those carbs right down your next HbA1c will be under the required 7% I am sure. It just has to be 3 months approximately after your original one in order not to show any of your old glucose from before you started your diet. Keep going. We are all behind you.
Well its three weeks till I see the doctor...so I hope she will agree to test again three weeks after that..which will take me to the three months, or thereabouts..
I will miss the hospital deadline though...

M

Member496333

Jim, do I need dumbells ?..what about those weights you can wear around your ankles and wrists ?..I'm just thinking about my fibro and issues with lifting things..

Sorry but I have no knowledge of that condition and wouldn’t like to make any recommendations. I guess only you’ll know what’s comfortable for you. Whatever you’re happy with and doesn’t cause any damage will most certainly help reduce your HbA1c. Muscle tissue loves to drink glucose, and it doesn’t need insulin in order to do so, so your current level of insulin sensitivity is somewhat moot as far as your biceps are concerned. Additionally, muscle just burns more fuel all the time even when not exercising, so any small gains in mass will help.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry but I have no knowledge of that condition and wouldn’t like to make any recommendations. I guess only you’ll know what’s comfortable for you. Whatever you’re happy with and doesn’t cause any damage will most certainly help reduce your HbA1c. Muscle tissue loves to drink glucose, and it doesn’t need insulin in order to do so, so your current level of insulin sensitivity is somewhat moot as far as your biceps are concerned. Additionally, muscle just burns more fuel all the time even when not exercising, so any small gains in mass will help.
Basically its chronic pain and fatigue, all over and constantly.

Varies from throbbing dull pain to horrendous, cant move for a day due to pain and stiffness, episodes.

Its delightful.

M

Member496333

Basically its chronic pain and fatigue, all over and constantly.

Varies from throbbing dull pain to horrendous, cant move for a day due to pain and stiffness, episodes.

Its delightful.

Really sorry to hear that. If I may make light of your predicament for a moment with regards to the dumbbell suggestion, it’s perhaps probably not best to start training for Mr. Olympia just yet then ;)

Anyway, besides all that, you seem to have your head screwed on with the diet. Maybe consider longer fasts if you’re comfortable with that idea. Really the body needs several 16+ hour fasting sessions before any major benefit is seen.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I may have missed something but if it is important to reduce your BG in order to have an operation why weren't drugs prescribed in the short term?
What drugs ?.

I'm on the max dose of Metformin as it is. I'm also on a load of other drugs...some of which raise blood sugar...as does stress and anxiety..which I suffer badly from..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic clinic next week, then two weeks until I see the doctor.

I will drop out of time for my current pre-op to still be valid on 6th March so, in the unlikely event I ever hit 7.0 it will be a re-referral and start the process again.

Patrick - Don't be so hasty. 6th March is still several weeks away.

To be honest, in your shoes, wanting the op, badly, I would force myself to go ninja on it. By ninja, I mean, I would personally go very low carb, or even consider a few weeks of carnivore eating.

Those wouldn't be my preferred way to live, but I would view the next month as making it my job of work. I would also ask for a retest of the A1c in a month.

We have had several people go right to the wire for their proposed ops.

I know you're not me, and you have a few challenges around aspect of your life, but only you can decide how you move forward, but that's what I would do.

Reactions: knoxy55

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
7.8 on December 6th
7.4 on January 22nd - about 6 weeks..
Please don't be so hard on yourself, and please don't give up. I'm no math genius, and others are more than welcome to correct me, but you've dropped from 7.8 to 7.4 in 6 weeks. 'They' say that the blood cells take 12 weeks to regenerate, but you did this in 6 weeks. This means that some of your old higher glucose blood cells were carried over from your old Hba1C to your new - as far as I can see. This is meant as encourament, because if you'd had the usual 3 months we get between tests, you might have been just under.
If my logic is flawed, please let me know.

Reactions: Patrick66

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What drugs ?.

I'm on the max dose of Metformin as it is. I'm also on a load of other drugs...some of which raise blood sugar...as does stress and anxiety..which I suffer badly from..

I have known of people in your situation who were given a short course in insulin injections to bring the levels down until they had fully recovered from the operation. Has this been discussed at all?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have known of people in your situation who were given a short course in insulin injections to bring the levels down until they had fully recovered from the operation. Has this been discussed at all?
No it hasn't and as I am needle phobic, probably not a good idea.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Please don't be so hard on yourself, and please don't give up. I'm no math genius, and others are more than welcome to correct me, but you've dropped from 7.8 to 7.4 in 6 weeks. 'They' say that the blood cells take 12 weeks to regenerate, but you did this in 6 weeks. This means that some of your old higher glucose blood cells were carried over from your old Hba1C to your new - as far as I can see. This is meant as encourament, because if you'd had the usual 3 months we get between tests, you might have been just under.
If my logic is flawed, please let me know.

I don't know how it works. I have seen different periods quoted but my doctor said it counted cells over a three month period.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Patrick that you didn't get the result you wanted but as others have said you have only been doing this a short time and you are heading in the right direction.

You have to just hang in there and keep doing what you're doing.

I have to say that given your problems I have the greatest admiration for you. You have tackled things head on and you are makinging progress. I believe the time you were given to reduce your levels by the hospital was unrealistic.

Next time, my friend, you will be there as long as you can stick with the programme!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick - Don't be so hasty. 6th March is still several weeks away.

To be honest, in your shoes, wanting the op, badly, I would force myself to go ninja on it. By ninja, I mean, I would personally go very low carb, or even consider a few weeks of carnivore eating.

Those wouldn't be my preferred way to live, but I would view the next month as making it my job of work. I would also ask for a retest of the A1c in a month.

We have had several people go right to the wire for their proposed ops.

I know you're not me, and you have a few challenges around aspect of your life, but only you can decide how you move forward, but that's what I would do.

The trouble is that the diet is making me ill. I have already got a cold and an infection which I have not had in years and I feel dreadful.

I think I am very low carb..or as low as I am comfortable with. I'm just bored with the lack of variety and not eating anything that I enjoy.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry Patrick that you didn't get the result you wanted but as others have said you have only been doing this a short time and you are heading in the right direction.

You have to just hang in there and keep doing what you're doing.

I have to say that given your problems I have the greatest admiration for you. You have tackled things head on and you are makinging progress. I believe the time you were given to reduce your levels by the hospital was unrealistic.

Next time, my friend, you will be there as long as you can stick with the programme!
My views on the hospital are unprintable.

I am trying very hard. Very, very hard. but the struggle is real.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
as I am needle phobic
Does the size of the needle matter? If it's a really thin, and I mean really really thin and short needle? Most of the time I can't feel it going through my skin, and if I feel it before I push it through, I just move it ½ an inch.