HBa1c result came back - totally deflated

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
No you haven't, it happened to me with my knee replacement. Lost lots of weight (helped my knee pain beyond all expectations). But NICE set up guidance as direct correlation between high Hba1c and increased infection and additional complications had been found in various Orthopaedic research projects. The risk is massively higher not just marginal. So you surgeon is really trying to look after you. Interestingly Keyhole and other intrusive procedures have much less risk and surgeons are happy to proceed.
I’m not disputing the safety aspect, it’s how the hospital royally messed up by giving me wrong info, then contradictory info and finally no info. And then seemed amazed at how calmly I took the news...

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 I have said this to you previously but you really are doing well heading in the right direction. I understand your disappointment about your surgery being postponed but if you keep eating carefully it will come. I know you are having a bit of a slump about what you like to eat but it is really important for a happy and healthy future that you get around this. We are all cheering you on. Please take care.
Doing my best. I have Diabetic Clinic on Tuesday and want to see exactly what the surgeon said and see the test result for myself.
Yes I’m just having a very stressful week for work reasons but have started some mild weight training and my fasting bs this morning was 3.9...oh, and I’ve just walked 4 miles..
So I’m putting the work in!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's good to see that dawn phenomena does not seem to be one of your problems. You've done well to achieve what you have, mega impressed and jealous of your weight loss. Keep your eye on the goal, you'll do it.
That’s very kind, thank you.

The weight loss has surprised me and particularly as I do a sedentary job on top of having fibromyalgia so exercise isn’t a big thing in my life.

I guess it just shows how cutting the carbs radically, cutting out sugar, eating less as my appetite and stomach seem to have shrunk lol..and just encouraging...okay..forcing myself to go up and down the stairs at work as often as possible to get the blood flowing, all adds up.

I’m now at my lightest for five years...had to buy trousers with a smaller waist today as my others keep falling down.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Doing my best. I have Diabetic Clinic on Tuesday and want to see exactly what the surgeon said and see the test result for myself.
Yes I’m just having a very stressful week for work reasons but have started some mild weight training and my fasting bs this morning was 3.9...oh, and I’ve just walked 4 miles..
So I’m putting the work in!

Get a print out of the results for your own records. Worth it.... so you can keep track of your progress.

Be careful with those sprouts, having two in one meal is pretty radical. :):)

Reactions: Patrick66

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get a print out of the results for your own records. Worth it.... so you can keep track of your progress.

i agree.... i believe i had two sprouts last year sometime ...or maybe the year before....

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
i agree i believe i hat two sprout s last year sometime ...or maybe the year before....

Please take care, there are people that love you, and here you are just living on the edge.... :)

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Sometimes I think I’m the only person in the world who likes them *sigh*

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
i agree.... i believe i had two sprouts last year sometime ...or maybe the year before....
I seem to recall eating thousands as a child. Grew up with them....and cabbage. Can’t abide cabbage!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you.

That’s interesting and confirms something I was thinking. Did the Nurse mean I was 7.8 and had to be under 7.0 for surgery or was I 78 and had to be under 70 (69) for surgery ?. That decimal point is important and I haven’t seen the letter from the hospital to read what it actually says.
I could be fine for surgery as I write this. Or not. Perhaps. Maybe. Hopefully the nurse can clarify things at the diabetic clinic on Tuesday.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thank you.

That’s interesting and confirms something I was thinking. Did the Nurse mean I was 7.8 and had to be under 7.0 for surgery or was I 78 and had to be under 70 (69) for surgery ?. That decimal point is important and I haven’t seen the letter from the hospital to read what it actually says.
I could be fine for surgery as I write this. Or not. Perhaps. Maybe. Hopefully the nurse can clarify things at the diabetic clinic on Tuesday.

Good luck, hope you get an answer.... pretty sure you won't be leaving without one. :)

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good luck, hope you get an answer.... pretty sure you won't be leaving without one. :)
Thanks. Yeah I’m tired of the saga so want to see what the letter actually says.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Sorry to hear this, but I'm sure they will exercise a little latitude as you are only a few points out... 57.4 vs 53.0 mmol/mol.

Strange that they're stating your HbA1c in percentages when standard practice is mmol/mol to avoid confusion with mmol/l fasting blood sugar.

Anyhow, good luck and stay positive.

Percentages are normally used in the US, but not the UK.