HbA1c Results Back

fit2drop

Dislikes
Not Eating
Hi all,

I have just had my 1st, 3 month results back; well 4+ really.
I called the surgery they said Thyroid was OK & diabetic was fine. I asked if I needed to see anyone or make an appointment and was told No, everything is normal.

I have asked for a printout and have been down to collect them.
Can anyone help me with the result so I'm clear about what is what.

1st Result date: 18/01/13 Hb1Ac 84 mmol/mol
2nd Result date 02/05/13 Hb1Ac 34 mmol/mol

should I be seeing someone, It seems very dismissive to me; just being left get on with thing my way.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, that is a big swing. The first result is far too high but the new one is fine. If I were you I would ask for a repeat HBA1C in 3 months time and also get hold of a meter to test your sugars 2 hours after some typical meals. Your GP should not be abandoning you unless she/she can explain the original high reading,

fit2drop

Dislikes
Not Eating
I have a meter, in fact I got a new one a few weeks ago (Bayer Contour USb - I like it).
Now the thing is I don't have typical meals anymore and stay well away from most carbs, bread etc. I will eat oats now as I have managed to get, what I think is a fast return time i.e 5.3 -> 8.8 -> 5.5 or less in 2 hours or less. I don't take sugar's, processed foods, pastry or dairy; black tea coffee or water, no smokes or booze. (I did have my 1st apple last week, almost to sweet).

So yea not very exciting, but can I let up a bit? do I need the 2x500 metformin and what's the average of 34, should I be aiming lower, this could only be done through more exercise.

Back @ Christmas I had Crazy vision problems and a repeated infection hence the 1st blood test.

I am sitting here none the wiser about the past say 5 months :eh:

fit2drop

Dislikes
Not Eating
Hi Mickey, the infection was only for about 3 weeks although I'd agree as my fasting BG on the very 1st test was 19; 2nd confirmation test was 6.1 but I'd already made massive changes between the two 1st tests.

I had a look at a conversion chart now and it reports 5.3, that look smack in the middle of a normal range or do I need to get it lower?

They said nothing about any follow up, nothing.

Should I phone tomorrow and arrange a doctor appointment or what

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am only learning at the moment done first part of my Desmond course and the DN said any infections would considerably raise readings which feeds the infection which again raises glucose vicious circle

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, infections are a known cause of BS rise. An HBA1c of 5.3% in old money is excellent and there is no need to go further down and moving back up to 6% would even be fine. At a level of 5.3 there is no need to go overboard with a low-carb diet; just be sensible. The Metformin won't be doing and harm and will help most if you are overweight. If you are unhappy with taking it suggest to the GP that you stop it. Anyway, well done as your new level is fine.