HBA1C risen sharply over a year

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a shock today to find my HBA1C had risen to 80 from 43! Doc referring me for a pancreatic ultrasound which has put the wind up me. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Liz and welcome to the forum.
Although you have been type 2 for a while, I’ll tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post.
If you’re comfortable to, can you give us a little more info about your diet and medications and we may be able to help you a bit more. Have there been any changes to these things or have you had more illness or stress, all factors that can affect blood sugar levels? Do you test you bloods at home?

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I don’t test my blood - diabetic nurse always said no need! In the last year, I’ve retired, had a hysterectomy and started to overhaul my health and fitness. I have slowly lost weight, but got a way to go. I have had an exhausting year with being the child care for our youngest grandson, being dropped sharply in to menopause etc. My diet is mostly pretty good, but I think too high in refined carbs. I do eat a lot of fruit and veg and just read on the forum I shouldn’t really be eating grapes and melon! I eat a fair amount of chicken and fish. Weetabix etc for breakfast. Keep things low salt and never add salt etc. My worst habit is skipping meals sometimes. Not good. I was taking 2 metformin in the morning and 2 in the evening. Today diabetic nurse has added in 1 of Alogliptin daily. Obviously being sent for a pancreatic ultrasound has raised unpleasant questions in my mind. All advice more than welcome

Reactions: kitedoc

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quote deleted.

That’s what the doc suggested today. To see if it’s a blip. Hoping it is, but being sent for a scan is worrying!

Last edited by a moderator:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
That’s what the doc suggested today. To see if it’s a blip. Hoping it is, but being sent for a scan is worrying!
You Don't worry much about you I Was on 120 in 2017 Now I'm Now in 48 Not Very Good but Not To bad Just Be CareFul
Navjx4m.png

Reactions: Prem51 and LizH1962

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I don’t test my blood - diabetic nurse always said no need! In the last year, I’ve retired, had a hysterectomy and started to overhaul my health and fitness. I have slowly lost weight, but got a way to go. I have had an exhausting year with being the child care for our youngest grandson, being dropped sharply in to menopause etc. My diet is mostly pretty good, but I think too high in refined carbs. I do eat a lot of fruit and veg and just read on the forum I shouldn’t really be eating grapes and melon! I eat a fair amount of chicken and fish. Weetabix etc for breakfast. Keep things low salt and never add salt etc. My worst habit is skipping meals sometimes. Not good. I was taking 2 metformin in the morning and 2 in the evening. Today diabetic nurse has added in 1 of Alogliptin daily. Obviously being sent for a pancreatic ultrasound has raised unpleasant questions in my mind. All advice more than welcome
I think it looks like your DN may have been a bit misguided in her suggestion not to test?
A lot of what you are currently eating would send my blood sugar through the roof so it my well be worth taking a long look at what your body reacts to. Unfortunately the only way to do that is to self test before and a couple of hours after eating to see what the impact of specific foods are on your blood sugar levels then adjusting what you eat accordingly.
Eating to your meter as we call it has been of major benefits to many here as has been cutting down the carbohydrate content of our meals drastically.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, definitely get a meter. @Rachox will point you in the right direction.

Tell us everything you ate yesterday.

Fruit not good for us except for berries and double cream.

Cereals for breakfast definitely a no no. Skipping meals, no problem, lots of us do this.

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My diet is mostly pretty good, but I think too high in refined carbs. I do eat a lot of fruit and veg and just read on the forum I shouldn’t really be eating grapes and melon! I eat a fair amount of chicken and fish. Weetabix etc for breakfast. Keep things low salt and never add salt etc. My worst habit is skipping meals sometimes. Not good.
Could you try to look at food all over again with new eyes? A carb is a carb, whatever the form and will turn into glucose in your body. Meats and cheeses are as low carb as chicken and fish, fatty meats (including bacon) will fill you up without spiking your bg. Have you turned the box of weetabix around to check the carbs? low salt might be important for other health problems but has nothing to do with diabetes. Why would skipping meals be bad? Are you avoiding fats in your diet?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you decide to get a meter, which I find invaluable and would highly recommend here is some info:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all. I feel overwhelmed at the moment to be honest.

Today’s food was Full fat Greek plain yogurt for breakfast with added blueberries. Lunch was home made vegetable soup. Veg was potatoes, leeks, onions, sweet corn,tomatoes (all homegrown). Dinner was grilled back bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms. Have picked on apples, banana and a kiwi through the day.

Yesterday breakfast was 2 weetabix and semi skimmed milk. Added raspberries on top. Lunch was an omelette with peppers and mushrooms and water cress. Dinner was chicken cooked with leeks, onions, squash, peas and sweet potato. Usual fruit through the day.... but a lot of grapes. And.... a handful of haribos. Sorry.

I drink a lot of tea with semi skimmed milk and bottled water. I rarely drink and have never smoked.

The last few days might make me look angelic. Last week we were away so ate out a lot.

So I think I need a complete diet overhaul and a meter for starters. I would dearly love to get my numbers in the 30s. Since I stopped work at end of July 2017, I have managed to drop 20lbs just by moving more and eating 3 meals a day (usually). Got a long way to go though.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds as though you have been following the NHS advice on healthy eating. Sadly, it is not healthy for diabetics. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the body - including the wholemeal varieties. The worst culprits are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals including porridge, corn, and fruit.

Have a look at the dietdoctor website. You will find it easy to read and may have a big shock to find that some of your food choices have not been doing you any favours.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

I strongly urge you to get a meter and start testing before and after meals and use it alongside a food diary. The meter will guide you and enable you to decide which foods your body reacts badly to, and in what portion size. Without it you are working blind.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something to note. The skinnier the milk, the worse it is for T2s. I gave up tea because I couldn't stand the milk substitutes. I have just recently started to have the odd cup now and again. Milk contains lactose (ose = sugar). Double cream is the best of the lot, but don't use elmlea.

If you have a sweet tooth, google keto chocolate mug cake. Yes you do have to invest in sugar alternative and decent unsweetened cocoa. The recipe given will give you enough to fill two ramakins (one each) and 70 seconds in the microwave and serve with lashings of double cream.

I note what you say about a limited budget. The most important thing you need to know is how certain foods affect you. Therefore you need to test before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite. So, 6 times a day, minimum. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2 between before and after. If higher than 2 then the meal was too carby or the quantity was to large.

Testing is not forever. You just need it to educate yourself as to what you can eat and what you can't. Unfortunately every T2 is different. We tolerate foods completely differently. There is no such thing as a diabetic diet.

Don't waste money on diabetic recipe books (or any recipe books for that matter). There are plenty of recipes on the internet. You can invest in books at a later date (and always check ebay for the cheapest option).

Reactions: LizH1962

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Cereals, grapes, potatoes ... give all of those a very wide berth

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something to note. The skinnier the milk, the worse it is for T2s. I gave up tea because I couldn't stand the milk substitutes. I have just recently started to have the odd cup now and again. Milk contains lactose (ose = sugar). Double cream is the best of the lot, but don't use elmlea.

If you have a sweet tooth, google keto chocolate mug cake. Yes you do have to invest in sugar alternative and decent unsweetened cocoa. The recipe given will give you enough to fill two ramakins (one each) and 70 seconds in the microwave and serve with lashings of double cream.

I note what you say about a limited budget. The most important thing you need to know is how certain foods affect you. Therefore you need to test before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite. So, 6 times a day, minimum. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2 between before and after. If higher than 2 then the meal was too carby or the quantity was to large.

Testing is not forever. You just need it to educate yourself as to what you can eat and what you can't. Unfortunately every T2 is different. We tolerate foods completely differently. There is no such thing as a diabetic diet.

Don't waste money on diabetic recipe books (or any recipe books for that matter). There are plenty of recipes on the internet. You can invest in books at a later date (and always check ebay for the cheapest option).

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied with so much info. My GP practice was listed as one of the ten worst in England - with good reason. Not once did I receive advice beyond ‘watch what you eat’. Not even a simple diet sheet! However I’ll go with the ‘Marathon and not a sprint’ advice. I have ordered a meter and a LOT of test strips so I can see what my numbers are before and after eating. I will admit to be astonished to see cream mentioned by so many of you! The dietdoctor site was an eye opener too. I am anxious about this scan I’m being sent for, but trying to keep it in perspective and it looks most important that I sort out a better eating plan and work out what foods work for me and what don’t. It’s great to feel I can ask all the silly questions here .

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

I didn’t know skinnier milkwas bad for type2.

I’ve had skimmed milk all my life and cannot stand taste of creamier stuff now. If I’m out and no choice I’ll have soy or semi but still too creamy.

I also have lacto free milk at home as I haveIBS (although this has improved since diagnosis and reduction in carbs).

So is lactofree skimmed better because the lactose is gone?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied with so much info. My GP practice was listed as one of the ten worst in England - with good reason. Not once did I receive advice beyond ‘watch what you eat’. Not even a simple diet sheet! However I’ll go with the ‘Marathon and not a sprint’ advice. I have ordered a meter and a LOT of test strips so I can see what my numbers are before and after eating. I will admit to be astonished to see cream mentioned by so many of you! The dietdoctor site was an eye opener too. I am anxious about this scan I’m being sent for, but trying to keep it in perspective and it looks most important that I sort out a better eating plan and work out what foods work for me and what don’t. It’s great to feel I can ask all the silly questions here .

Cream is a bit of a surprise, isn't it? ;) Fats slow down sugar spikes, so if you're going to have berries, (besides avocado and maybe a few little cherry tomatoes the only fruits that are okay) do add cream or full fat greek yoghurt. Seeing what your diet looks like -seemingly healthy, but not for a T2- I have a little hope that you don't need to worry over-much about the pancreatic check-up... With the carbs you're having my HbA1c would be similar, if not higher, than yours. I'm not a doctor, but I do think you can take a breath and relax a little. With a few tweaks in diet your HbA1c might be in a nice, healthy range soon enough.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@LizH1962

Hello Liz and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.