Hba1c struggles

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Just been for my diabetic review and my Hba1c has gone from 49 to 65 can't point the raise to anything in particular, food intake not changed. Was on Victoza 1.8 dose to suppress appetite hasn't done that diabetic nurse has decided to pull me off that, which I can't disagree with, however she has added in 100mg stigliptin which means I'm now on 1000mg metformin, 40mg astrostavin and 100mg stigliptin. Current weight is 20st height 6'6" I run 10k 3 times a week so exercise isn't a problem. I know the need to go on a lifestyle food change (diet) but am a simple man and get confused with all the different options and information, is there a simple easy to follow low carb diet plan. Pushing 50 yrs old and want to be here to see my daughter continue to grow up and become a beautiful young woman.

Reactions: Shas3

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Huge hugs.
Do you like meat and fish and veg?
What do you love to eat and what do you hate?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You could have a look at dietdoctor.com. It is a popular website for forum members because it provides lists of food to avoid/reduce and lists of foods to eat freely. There are also lots of low carb recipes.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

There is also a low carb programme on our website that you can join.

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/?utm_source=hp&utm_medium=dd&utm_campaign=lcp

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just been for my diabetic review and my Hba1c has gone from 49 to 65 can't point the raise to anything in particular, food intake not changed. Was on Victoza 1.8 dose to suppress appetite hasn't done that diabetic nurse has decided to pull me off that, which I can't disagree with, however she has added in 100mg stigliptin which means I'm now on 1000mg metformin, 40mg astrostavin and 100mg stigliptin. Current weight is 20st height 6'6" I run 10k 3 times a week so exercise isn't a problem. I know the need to go on a lifestyle food change (diet) but am a simple man and get confused with all the different options and information, is there a simple easy to follow low carb diet plan. Pushing 50 yrs old and want to be here to see my daughter continue to grow up and become a beautiful young woman.
Great that you are keeping heart healthy and keeping up muscle mass with running etc. You've had the discipline to stick at that and probably at other things in your life too. Sounds like you realise that exercise and meds alone won't keep your weight and diabetes at bay and want to get started on a food plan. The food will make a buge difference so this makes sense; if you are insulin resistant then your body isn't dealing well with starchy carbohydates and sugars sot hat's the place to start. This means enough
I'd suggest starting with a food habit that if you change it will make a big impact e.g do you snack on biscuits or eat large portions of rice/pasta/bread? Try changing just 1 thing and then doing it consistently for at least a week. If you tell us what you eat we can make suggestions. Good news is that you won't go hungry eating plenty of meat, fish and cheese!

Reactions: cratat and johnme

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One key thing is avoiding the high starch and sugar food.
Don't bother with the traffic light system as it is not geared up for diabetics, you need to check on the back of packets to find the amount of carbohydrate.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to minimise all the carby foods such as bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, cereals and so on. If you have time, cook eggs and bacon for breakfast. Have plenty of meat and fish. Cheese is good.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've had great replies. No amount of exercise can compensate for carbs, I think, though that is not a reason not to exercise. It has other positive effects - morale, insulin sensitivity etc. I cycle quite a lot, but it made no difference. Staying off carbs did, so though I eat as much meat, cheese fish and dairy as I want, my overall cholesterol is under 5, triglycerides are 1.14 and I take no medications. It's more or less the opposite of what we've been taught but it works - though the GP's practice nurse still bangs on about 'balanced diet.' I balance with kale, broccoli, asparagus, green salads - you get the picture. Good luck.

Reactions: cratat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any particular reason for the statin? They have been known to raise blood sugar in some...

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Any particular reason for the statin? They have been known to raise blood sugar in some...
I believe to reduce my cholesterol

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You could have a look at dietdoctor.com. It is a popular website for forum members because it provides lists of food to avoid/reduce and lists of foods to eat freely. There are also lots of low carb recipes.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

There is also a low carb programme on our website that you can join.

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/?utm_source=hp&utm_medium=dd&utm_campaign=lcp
Will look into this thank you

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
So “preventative” rather than for anything specific.. what was your cholesterol when last measured if you don’t mind sharing..?
Last time they told me it was about 6 but last time I enquired was 2016

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time they told me it was about 6 but last time I enquired was 2016

It is important for us all to know what all our blood test results say. Not just blood glucose, but also cholesterol, the full cholesterol breakdown (HDL/LDL and triglycerides), plus liver and kidney functions. You are entitled to print outs of your blood test results (in the UK) and can ask at reception for a copy. If in England, most surgeries now do as asked 3 years ago and put test results on line. You have to register separately for this service.

You could be taking statins without actually needing them. Doctors hand them out like sweeties. So it is best you know what your cholesterol and breakdown is and you can then decide for yourself.

Never rely on health professionals that say "too high" or "normal" or similar. That is only their opinion, and for all you know your levels could be on the brink of being abnormal. You need to know.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our surgery is like that. It's the devil of a job to get results out of them and I've taken to fetching a notebook with me with the questions laid out beforehand, otherwise I get met with 'oh I don't know how to get them onto the printer' or some other waffle. I don't think they like to have their mystique penetrated. Frankly it takes a thick skin to get any info off them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Our surgery is like that. It's the devil of a job to get results out of them and I've taken to fetching a notebook with me with the questions laid out beforehand, otherwise I get met with 'oh I don't know how to get them onto the printer' or some other waffle. I don't think they like to have their mystique penetrated. Frankly it takes a thick skin to get any info off them.

If the nurse can't work the printer, the receptionist will certainly be able to. Ask her! It's what I had to do the first time I asked my nurse. I now just see them all on line, normally within 24 hours of the test

Reactions: johnme