HBA1C versus Cholesterol Control…

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The serum cholesterol is the total cholesterol.

I would just ask what the doctor's concerns are. I can't think that he is bothered by a figure that is only 0.1 above the normal range.

If it were me I would just concentrate on the HbA1c and next time fast before your blood tests even though you aren't told to do so.

My doctor asked me if I wanted statins and I said no, I had enough aches and pains already. I haven't been asked again :)

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
My doctor asked me if I wanted statins and I said no, I had enough aches and pains already. I haven't been asked again :)
O..k… ? So, what are Statins supposed to do, especially as they create more aches and pains? And you’ve been able to reduce your cholesterol levels without them? Sounds like a Win-Win situation and not bowing down to the professionals.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now, back to my request, how do I balance lowering my HBA1C and my Cholesterol whilst adhering to a HFLC diet?

First you have to discover if your cholesterol is a problem (it likely isn't) so you can happily ignore it.

Oh, righto! Shall I also say this to the DR?
Yes I would.. if they haven't bothered to measure properly why would you want to take the medication they will receive cash for getting you on.. maybe ask them if the surgery gets extra funding for prescribing statins.. that could be an interesting conversation..

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
maybe ask them if the surgery gets extra funding for prescribing statins.. that could be an interesting conversation..
No, surely not!? I can't imagine the NHS allowing this, this inefficiency with their Funding?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, surely not!? I can't imagine the NHS allowing this, this inefficiency with their Funding?

So.. most doctors surgeries in England at least are independent businesses and not run by the NHS.
They are partnerships with some doctors being partners and others being salaried.
They are financially incentivised to attain certain targets in treatment of various conditions and are reported on annually.
Surgeries receive payments based on the percentage of patients they have prescribed certain treatments too.

For example at my local surgery we can see
Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 11.52.20.png

This is from the Quality and Outcomes Framework

https://qof.digital.nhs.uk/search/index.asp

Its very hard to find out exactly how much they get for the various "treatments" but it does explain why some doctors are quite keen to reach for the prescription pad when they see a new patient, or "cash cow", depending on your perspective..

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK OK OK…. Stand Down everybody! Just had THAT call from my DR. Paraphrasing here: I don’t know why I’m needing to call you. Your results are very good for both cholesterol and sugars are excellent. No need for Statins. Your curve is going down too. Stay with your diet and do more exercise.

Thanks for all your support. E.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK OK OK…. Stand Down everybody! Just had THAT call from my DR. Paraphrasing here: I don’t know why I’m needing to call you. Your results are very good for both cholesterol and sugars are excellent. No need for Statins. Your curve is going down too. Stay with your diet and do more exercise.

Thanks for all your support. E.
Well done.