boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hello

Been a bit of a strange journey for me. Was told I likely had type one diabetes early may this year with a hbA1c of 104.

I noticed I was gaining weight with insulin, so I have changed my diet gradually to try and reduce my insulin requirement.

I have slowly learnt more and more from this forum and other places (Dr Fung etc) as well as data from the libre 2. I originally started out with a low GI approach to diet and cutting sources of more simple sugars, but this only got me so far. I have been able to come off Insulin thanks to the ketogenic diet (monitoring ketones, plus high fat, very low carb) with some fasting (OMAD/16:8/20:4/24hr typically) and more walking.

Probably around August I found out I have monogenic diabetes. Specifically a loss of function ABCC8 variant. I think this is Mody 12 (was told MODY is really what the Americans call it), which is supposed to be reasonably rare. Monogenic means just one gene causes my diabetes (whereas I think they have recognised around 70 genes that influence type 2 diabetes). I found this out as my daughter was born late may with congenital hyperinsulinism.

Anyway, saw a diabetes doctor for the first time about two weeks ago and had my second hbA1c was 29, was very happy especially as my libre 2 estimated 34. Also cholesterol was all good and ACR. I do have background retinopathy, probably because I have had diabetes for a while without realising.

Downside is I probably won't be able to eat much carbs ever, whereas it seems some t2's can enter remission and eat a bit if they're careful and I guess T1's can inject for it. However mostly enjoy the low carb lifestyle and have lost weight slowly (about 20lb). My body produces enough background insulin, but it seems it does not release enough for an adequate glucose response, but I am still learning about it. There is not a lot of information out there.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks. Lots of helpful people and solid advice on here.

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
That’s brilliant, well done, hope you’re daughter is ok

Hey thanks, my daughter is doing great. Her medication has not gone up since she was discharged from the hospital, indicating that she might be 'transient', so growing out of it essentially. It was found early, so she hasn't had any complications and is otherwise is normal and healthy.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT