Hba1c when you were given the green light?

sophie.w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone :)
I am new to this forum and hoping to get some advice and share experiences along the way!
My partner and I are are desperate to start a family and in the last 6 months I have turned my diabetes around like I never thought I could, following a very bad episode of DKA which led to intensive care and no guarantees that I would pull through... frightening stuff! I have been seen in a pre conception clinic, I have been taking folic acid for about a month and although I am on the right path and doing brilliantly well, my hba1c is 7. Is this low enough yet or do I still have more work to do? I am being tested again next week and expect this to be quite a bit lower. At what hba1c were you all given the green light? I am really hoping they are going to tell me I can "start"! :)
Sophie x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey sophie ,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Well done for changing your diabetes around it sounds as if you have done brilliantly , I got advised before falling pregnant that they would like my hba1c below 7% I got given the go ahead at 6.7% and fell pregnant with a hba1c of 6.5% . I now have a 4 week old little boy . So fingers crossed you get the go a head at your next appointment as being at 7% sounds as if you have done it . Let me know what it comes back as next week , very exciting .
Fingers crossed for you and best wishes . x

sophie.w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply. Huge congratulations on your little boy! I am hoping that they are going to give me the go ahead... keeping everything crossed! Were you advised to have a lower hba1c for any length of time before trying, or is it a case of once it's low enough, off you go?! It's really exciting but it does worry me too. I also have multiple sclerosis so it's just more to think about, it won't be easy but bring it on I say!
x

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. :)

I know my hba1c was in target the year before to get pregnant so when I went they said ok sort of thing , but I'm pretty sure they said ideally they like you to have two hba1cs below the 7% .
Definitely is the hardest journey let alone with added things on top to deal with , but it is very very worth it and rewarding , like you said bring it on !! Is such an exciting time , I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and looking forward to hearing what your next hba1c is.

Good luck. :) x

sophie.w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi was great news from the hospital! My hba1c is now 6.5 and i will continue to be tested monthly so i am expecting to this to be lower again next time as my bloods are pretty much constantly 5.5 with the odd hypo... I got a massive pat on the back and was told that they had never seen anyone turn their diabetes around so quickly. Was really nice to hear that and I'm even more determined now. They want me on folic acid for another 3 weeks then it's all systems go! I've started a healthier diet and lost 5lbs this week so I'll squeeze a cheeky little Caribbean holiday in to celebrate all my hard work, then hopefully I'll be a mummy before I know it!
X

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done! That's great news! You deserve that massive pat on the back!

You mentioned folic acid. I took that as soon as I told my consultant I was trying to get pregnant (my HbA1c was ok) and I continued to take it for the first 14 weeks of pregnancy on my consultant's advice.

sophie.w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, what i meant to say is that I've been on folic acid for just over 2 months already and they would like me to be on it for at least 3 before trying
X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, I understand now :)

I was actually on folic acid for months before getting pregnant as we had some issues, but a minimum of three months sounds sensible. I think that's similar to what they advise women without diabetes who take a smaller dose of folic acid.

I also took some pre-conception vitamins, including vitamin D, and also an omega 3 supplement. I checked with my consultant first, of course, but I reckoned that being as healthy as possible would help along with the folic acid. I made a point of trying to eat well and I cut down my alcohol,and caffeine (not that I drank a lot). The bonus with that was I felt really good in myself :)

It can't be easy with the MS either, but rest assured that all the hard work you put in will be totally worth it. My top tip, apart from great BS control, is to look after yourself and relax.

Good luck X

sophie.w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks azure :)
Yeah MS isn't easy but nothings going to change it, the relaxing and plenty of "me" time definitely helps! I'll look into taking other vitamins, it can only make things better. It's really surprising though, how just a change of diet and making a few healthy choices can make you feel so good!
x

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi was great news from the hospital! My hba1c is now 6.5 and i will continue to be tested monthly so i am expecting to this to be lower again next time as my bloods are pretty much constantly 5.5 with the odd hypo... I got a massive pat on the back and was told that they had never seen anyone turn their diabetes around so quickly. Was really nice to hear that and I'm even more determined now. They want me on folic acid for another 3 weeks then it's all systems go! I've started a healthier diet and lost 5lbs this week so I'll squeeze a cheeky little Caribbean holiday in to celebrate all my hard work, then hopefully I'll be a mummy before I know it!
X

Wow a massive congratulations to you 6.5 is amazing and loosing the weight too, definitely deserve a big pat on the back .
How exciting for you , to be on your way to becoming a mummy , hope you enjoy your little holiday to celebrate .
Good luck with it all , keep us updated .
Take care. :)

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
in the last 6 months I have turned my diabetes around like I never thought I could,
Sophie x

Hello Sophie,

Please could you share with us what you did differently to achieve this big improvement .. thank you?

JontyW