HBA1C

rolyburkinqc

Hi, I was diagnosed in Sept WHEN i WAS RUSHED INTO HOSPITAL WITH A BLOOD LEVEL OF BM 31. Anyway my HBA1C result never made it to my DR so I have had another one last week after i have been on metformin for 8 weeks 4 a day it was 10.5% which i was told was bad and i might need to addd to my medication, Other than that I haven,t got a clue.Help

Reactions: 2 people

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You really need to get an appointment with a diabetes nurse and dietition to get all the info to help you start getting your diabetes under control.Do you know what type of diabetes it is? type one or two? Good luck,we're here if you need to ask more questions.

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rolyburkinqc</i>
<br />Hi, I was diagnosed in Sept WHEN i WAS RUSHED INTO HOSPITAL WITH A BLOOD LEVEL OF BM 31. Anyway my HBA1C result never made it to my DR so I have had another one last week after i have been on metformin for 8 weeks 4 a day it was 10.5% which i was told was bad and i might need to addd to my medication, Other than that I haven,t got a clue.Help
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Martin

What involvment does your GP have in all this? 31 is certainly a high a glucose level and HbA1c of 10.5% isn't good at all (mine was 8.8% before starting medication) it needs to be <6.5% to be considered okay.

By four metformin a day I presume you mean 500mg tabs which would be the maximum dose of 2000mg/day. I doubt that metformin alone would be enough to bring your condition under control starting from such a high level. You really need to discuss all this with doctor though.

Im presently taking metformin for six months before having a second HbA1c.

Rob

rolyburkinqc

Hi, Thanks for the response, yes I am on 4x500 a day, the problem is that my oringal HBA1C results did not make it to my G.P. Anyway my G.P does not see me everthing since my diagnosis has been through the diabetic nurse.

What I am worried about though is if they change my tablets or add to them THEY HAVE HAD NOTHNG TO COMPARE MY RESULTS TO AS I HAD BEEN ON MEDICATION FOR A WHILE HOW DO THEY KNOW IF THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING.

Type 2, I will try to speak to my G.P.

BECAUSE THIS 10.5 MEANS NOTHING TO ME.

Martin.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Martin, Rob is right, 10.5 is a fairly high HBA1C, but you need to bear in mind that your diabetic support team will also be in the dark as they don't have the earlier HBA1C to compare against. They won't know any more than you do whether your BSs are going up or down.

You really do need to insist that you speak to your GP about this. Your diabetic nurse is not qualified to make either a medical diagnosis or to prescribe. The GP may well want to just keep you on the metformin for a few more weeks so that there is a benchmark to measure against. Although 10.5 is high, it is not life-threateningly so and a few weeks more shouldn't harm you but, with no disrespect to nurses intended, that is not a decision that a nurse should make.

You seem to be in the dark, so I suspect you are not doing your own glucose tests with a glucose meter. You need to start doing this as soon as possible because that will firstly tell you which direction your medication is taking you, without needing to wait for an 'official' verdict from the GP, but it will also guide you as to which foods you eat have the biggest influence on your sugar levels. You may not get a tester on the NHS but you can get one from pretty much any chemists. They are not particularly expensive - around £10 to £15 for the tester, plus extra for the test strips the tester uses. The test strips are usually available on prescription even if the test meters are not.