Hba1c

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I was diagnosed in June this year as a t2 diabetic with a hba1c of 73. 2 weeks later re tested and i was 67. I have now done another test for a review and now i am 34. Although i am ecstatic with this result i am dubious that it could be false. I have cut down on carbs alot but still on occasions have half a dozen potatoes or a few chips etc. On my codefree meter I normally read between 7-9 and never drop below 6. My morning results are usually around 7.7. Any thoughts as if this could be a false hba1c result or do meters read high.
Thank you.

Reactions: phdiabetic

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
34 is brilliant! Well done. Request another test if you want but I'd certainly settle for that (little chance).
Meters, as far as I understand it, are more for measuring the increase (or decrease) in glucose levels after eating. Do you measure for example any increase a couple of hours after eating your chips? If you don't spike after a plateful of chips, well, I'm beginning to dislike you! :)
The HbA1c tests your average levels over the period between tests (3-monthly for example) and indicates your glucose trend - and yours looks pretty **** good.

Reactions: Serena51

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
34 is brilliant! Well done. Request another test if you want but I'd certainly settle for that (little chance).
Meters, as far as I understand it, are more for measuring the increase (or decrease) in glucose levels after eating. Do you measure for example any increase a couple of hours after eating your chips? If you don't spike after a plateful of chips, well, I'm beginning to dislike you! :)
The HbA1c tests your average levels over the period between tests (3-monthly for example) and indicates your glucose trend - and yours looks pretty **** good.

Hi jo cheers
I do test about 10 times a day. Some meals go up to 14 or so but only very occasionally. I have cut out cider for vodka( i know none are good) only 90% chocolate diet drinks low carb pitas no carb rice so i have been trying but 34 seems low but I will take it and be smiling all week.

Reactions: Guzzler and TIANDB

Philb69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh, you test about 9 times a day more than me then!
I'd trust the HbA1c for your overall.
Just out of interest, no carb rice? Is it this one by any chance?
https://www.totalwellbeingsolutions...MI-OPY_rSf1wIV6rDtCh1zmgLnEAQYASABEgLI1_D_BwE
If so, what's it like? If not, what are you trying? I'd like to get back into curries.

Hi jo
No mate i got mine from holland and barrett £2.59 for 200g but buy one get one free. I have tried that one though and they all stink of fish when you open them but not too bad once you have rinsed it out. The Josephs low carb pitas are good and go with curries and eveything else really instead of bread.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. In fact plain boiled rice doesn't taste of much anyway so seasoning is the way to go.
It'll be nice to get back to that psychological point in time when I'd had 15 pints and an Indian on the way home!

Reactions: Billy7764

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I went from 98 to 43 in four months. It can be done and you are now officially allowed to pat yourself on the back. Superb numbers, well done.

Reactions: Philb69

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I was diagnosed in June this year as a t2 diabetic with a hba1c of 73. 2 weeks later re tested and i was 67. I have now done another test for a review and now i am 34. Although i am ecstatic with this result i am dubious that it could be false. I have cut down on carbs alot but still on occasions have half a dozen potatoes or a few chips etc. On my codefree meter I normally read between 7-9 and never drop below 6. My morning results are usually around 7.7. Any thoughts as if this could be a false hba1c result or do meters read high.
Thank you.

Personally I would not worry about it being a false test result. Your experience is similar to mine and with broadly similar test numbers. When my results came back, showing full control achieved within months of diagnosis, I was so shocked (in a good way) that I contacted the doctor to ask, politely, about the reliability of the test. He set my mind at rest.

The HbA1C measures the average glucose levels over the previous 8 to 12 weeks. Eating the occasional half a dozen taters will only make an infinitesimal difference. Cheating constantly will raise the number considerably however. That is why I really like this blood test, and so does my doctor.

If you want to be really naughty, binge now! If your next test is (say) at least three months from now, there is a good chance that the illegal carbs will drop out of your hemoglobin by the time the next test is done. Disclaimer: Following my advice will spike your glucose and is, of course, a Bad Idea.

I had my A1C test yesterday and am waiting for the results. After having my blood drawn, I headed for the liquor store to buy a pint of just about the highest-carb beer on the planet, and downed it that evening.

Well done. It is stories like yours that keep me honest on the low-carb path (well, most of the time).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Phil, I went from HbA1c of 70 down to 36 in four months so your results are perfectly believable. I had a test at two months as well which was 45 so I didn’t question my results at all. Well done on your drop!

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to get back into curries.

I had a chicken curry last night with cauliflower rice. Perfectly nice and very cheap! I assume you have tried this? (I've also tried the preprepared beetroot rice from Sainburys, but didn't find that so good)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have now done another test for a review and now i am 34.

That's amazing and well done. Maybe part of the problem is it's difficult to give credit to lowering carbs for improving our BG levels so easily.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same way - HbA1c of 29 and yet my day to day numbers look like a rollercoaster! I often wonder the same thing - are meters correct, is the HbA1c off for some reason, is the CGM correct? It's hard to know, but it's certainly better to have a lower HbA1c than a higher one, and I give my best effort regardless of results. Keep it up and don't worry about your results too much - you're putting in the effort and that's what matters.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have cut down on carbs alot but still on occasions have half a dozen potatoes or a few chips etc.
Chips!!! I think i remember what those taste like - they were goood!! :hungry: Maybe it's time for me to fall off the wagon a little ..... brilliant results, well done :)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chips!!! I think i remember what those taste like - they were goood!! :hungry: Maybe it's time for me to fall off the wagon a little ..... brilliant results, well done :)

Prior to diagnosis I was eating a whole bag of crisps every evening, with my two or three pints of beer. Those would be American-size bags of crisps, not the little ones you get in the pubs in the UK.

No crisps since then. I noticed that some people on this forum swear by "pork scratchings" but those look to be a UK thing. I will try them out on my next visit to UK!