1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HbA1c

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by wiseowl_123, Apr 12, 2018.

1. wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all my friends I have just received my HbA1c first 6 month review,a little disappointing but maybe I am being a little to hard on myself do you think this is satisfactory,thank you,it is 43 :)

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What was it to begin with? 43 is not bad at all. Give yourself a pay on the back, your next will be even better.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think it's a lovely normal number, well done.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Just look at how far you have come since diagnosis. Your HbA1c was really high at 114 according to your signature. I would consider you are stable, and you should be proud of yourself. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would be thrilled to bits with a 43.
    Well done you and whatever you are doing keep doing it............

Good luck

Tony

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. wiseowl_123

Good morning @xfieldok @SueJB @Bluetit1802 @Tony337 you are all diamonds my friends,this forum and you have helped me so much since my initial diagnosis for that I say a big thank you:)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ah! I can't see signatures on my phone. That is a phenomenal result. I would be dancing!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Very well done! Keep up the good work!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. wiseowl_123

Once again thank you my friends,if I could get rid off this GAD that would be the icing on the cake,enjoy your days every on:)

BG Result.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    #9 wiseowl_123, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @wiseowl_123
    I think what you don't like is the slight rise which I think brings it just into the pre-diabetic range. You have done amazingly well over the last 18 months. Probably just a gentle warning that you still need to take care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. wiseowl_123

Good morning @Hiitsme my friend ,yes that's it ,when I look at a couple of my past results I had a reading of 39 amd 40,thank you for your kind and friendly reply:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your results raise the question of error range for HbA1c results. That 42 could be natural variation given your previous results of 39 and 40. Given your initial reading you are doing really well!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@wiseowl_123 I am with you, I had the same kind of result first time and remember thinking 'so close and yet so far' Why couldn't it have been 41 or 40? But it wasn't. You are in a far better place than you were before, and you have proven that you are able to control your blood sugars.

Before you beat yourself up next time round just remember the law of diminishing returns applies

WELL DONE!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

Certainly too hard on yourself! Well done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. wiseowl_123

Good afternoon @Dr Snoddy and @walnut_face @JoKalsbeek my friends many thanks for kind and friendly replies,very much appreciated :)

ps.thank you everyone for all your kind friendly and positive replies,they really are very much appreciated:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@wiseowl_123 - My advice to you would be to have a bit of a ponder over things and start to look towards the much longer term.

When I had had a couple of normal HbA1cs I realised that no matter how hard I might try, my HbA1cs were never going to go downwards every time they were taken. We have lives to live, and things happen in our lives that we can't always control, like illness, stress and so on.

The conclusion I came to, for me, was that I would set myself an HbA1c range I find acceptable for me. I won't say what that range is because it's only relevant to me. Using that strategy, for me, reduces the emotional rollercoaster.

It's a long life to live if we're going to be stressed every time we have some bloods done. If I have looked after myself fairly well, live a full life and done the things I've wanted to do, I will accept my HbA1c will vary a bit. Should I find myself at the top of my range, or if I breach it, I might have to swap a few things around, but I'm not going to put myself through the mental self-flagellation for a minor variation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. wiseowl_123

Good afternoon @DCUKMod and thank you for your reply,I don't remember saying I get stressed every time I have my bloods done,I never do:)

I never stress over my blood tests,I was just asking a question of more experienced members than myself,of which all kindly replied in a kind and friendly way.

And for self -flagellation its a thing I never suffer from, the question I asked , was to gain valuable information from more experienced lovely people than myself,so that I can in the future experiment with my diet,hopefully to my advantage,enjoy the rest of your day my friend:)

18. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's a great result, Wiseowl_123! Well done!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. wiseowl_123

Good afternoon @Tabbyjoolz and a big thank you for your lovely reply,always appreciated:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook