1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HBA1C

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by 7-3-19wilson1, Apr 15, 2019.

1. 7-3-19wilson1

7-3-19wilson1 · Member

Recently had a meeting with the consultant about a month after I was first diagnosed with T1. I was told that I was ‘164’ at this was quite high, just wondering what this means and what my number is in comparison to others?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Before all the people who know what they are talking about arrive with their good advice can I ask you a couple of questions. The answers will be helpful.

Can you confirm the 164 is in mg/dl.

Was this a fasting test or had you eaten anything before. If you had eaten, what did you eat.

3. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello @7-3-19wilson1 and Welcome to the forum.

There is a page on the front of this place that has a whole load of info this link might be interesting to you:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

It gives some insight as to what HB1aC is all about.

As for "comparison" to others is well a really difficult one because some will be diagnosed as T1 with a lower number some with really really high numbers. You really need to get in contact with your medical team who are the best to give you advice on what to do next.

However as your now a part of the forum you can always pick some information up from here as well :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

There are guidelines for the diagnosis and management of diabetes in children and young people which are produced by NICE (National Institute for Care and Health Excellence). Regarding HbA1c, they say:-

• Explain to children and young people with type 1 diabetes and their family members or carers (as appropriate) that an HbA1c target level of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) or lower is ideal to minimise the risk of long‑term complications. [new 2015]
    Where possible, it's a good idea to include units with any figures you quote - blood glucose and HbA1c have different units and different target ranges. Also, the units for both can differ outside outside the UK. By quoting the units we can understand exactly which measurement you are talking about.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook