HbA1C....

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
Sorry to be stupid but how do I estimate my HbA1C? I've looked at the formulas on here but am a little confused!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test lots of times a day? Do you keep records? Then all you have to do is average them all and use the calculator here

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

However, you really do need to test a lot, and some night time readings if you wake up for a loo visit would be useful to include.

The Mysugr app will estinmate for you, but again you need masses of tests.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you test lots of times a day? Do you keep records? Then all you have to do is average them all and use the calculator here

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

However, you really do need to test a lot, and some night time readings if you wake up for a loo visit would be useful to include.

The Mysugr app will estinmate for you, but again you need masses of tests.
I do and I have - but it's cme out a lot lower than anticipated (32.1). I'm sure that's wrong - based on 3 readings per day for 31 days. I guess I'll find out next time the blood test is done... I tried Mysugr - it was not working for me

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do and I have - but it's cme out a lot lower than anticipated (32.1). I'm sure that's wrong - based on 3 readings per day for 31 days. I guess I'll find out next time the blood test is done... I tried Mysugr - it was not working for me

Testing 3 times a day will never give you an accurate result. You need some "low" numbers such as pre-meal, and some "high" numbers such as 1 hour and also 90 minutes after eating (to try to catch peaks) as well as 2 or 3 hours, plus a bedtime and a fasting, making sure you have a fair mix of the peak times and the low times. Even then, it is not an exact science.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Testing 3 times a day will never give you an accurate result. You need some "low" numbers such as pre-meal, and some "high" numbers such as 1 hour and also 90 minutes after eating (to try to catch peaks) as well as 2 or 3 hours, plus a bedtime and a fasting, making sure you have a fair mix of the peak times and the low times. Even then, it is not an exact science.
Ah well - I think I'll just be patient then. Not sure I can afford more than three test stips per day! Thank you for replying - have a lovely day x x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.... I tried Mysugr - it was not working for me

I wonder what the lower limit is for MySugr, I test five times/day and it still produces an estimated an estimated HbA1c for me. This will be the first time I have tested less (I used to test 7 or 8 times a day) leading up to an HbA1c at the Drs. The estimate has never been exact, so I just keep an eye on if it’s trending up or down.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
based on 3 readings per day for 31 days.

Even 24 readings a day might not be able to give you the same result as a HbA1c.

Personally I don't think it is possible to accurately guesstimate a HbA1c from a few random finger prick tests. I know some people can and have managed to get a similar result, but it cannot be guaranteed and is probably a waste of strips if the tests are only being done for that reason.

M

Member496333

Estimating HbA1c is an expensive business. It would probably work out cheaper to pay for a private lab report from somewhere like Medichecks once in a while. Or even buy a home testing kit.

If you have very good gluco-stability 24-7 then the finger prick tests are likely to be reasonably accurate, but otherwise it’s a loose estimate at best.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've decided to wait - no point estimating if it's not going to be an accurate thing. I'll end up getting over anxious or over confident and I don't want either. I'll just let the doctor give me a surprise. Thank you again everyone for your responses x

Reactions: Member496333