Type 2 HbA1c....

Lord_Lien

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if this sounds like a skool boy asking questions, but due to being recently told I was Type 2 I still seem to have loads of questions. I am so sorry if I am asking questions that have been answered before......

My last check up I was told my HbA1c was 90 & I need to get this down. I was not told what I'm doing wrong that makes it so high.

Got my blood sugar down to 10.6, from 20.8, after making diet changes over the last few weeks. Just wondering if my HbA1c will now start dropping or is this something thing different I need to look at.

vivchar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps you need medication, your diabetic nurse should help you sort all that out

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.
I was diagnosed in February with HbA1c of 95 and fasting blood reading of 18 so not that different to yours. I've worked on diet, weight loss and exercise.
Diet - lots of people here cut right down on carbs. Each of us is different so it's a question of testing before a meal and 2 hours after to see how much that meal put up your blood sugars. It should be less than 2. In this way you can see how a meal reacts for you. There is lots of advice on this forum. Have a look round and come back with questions. I think you've had the advice from Daisy which should be a good starting point.
Do you need to lose weight?
Can you exercise. I only do walking but that has helped a lot.
I chose to try without medication and got my HbA1c down to 50 in 3 months so yes as your readings come down so will your HbA1c but that is an average of the last 3 months so will take time to come down.

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Perhaps you need medication, your diabetic nurse should help you sort all that out
Welcome to the forum. Changing the way we eat is usually more helpful than medication, and most DNs seem to give inaccurate advice about eating.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes your HbA1c should start dropping as it's an average of your glucose levels over the last three months, so depending on how long it will be until you get your next test, you'll see at least some improvements, and hopefully a fairly big drop as your daily tests levels decrease over time. Have a look here on the main Diabetes UK site for more information.

Robbity

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome, I will tag @daisy1 who shall be able to give you some thorough info that seems to have been lacking from your GP Surgery.

You can also have a read of my 3 month journey (link in my signature) and she how I got on from levels like yours. To drop from 20 to 10 is pretty good btw so just a little further to go.

Reactions: 2 people