HBA1C's

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
pollyr said:
.......Think now that I need to reduce the carbs. I note on this thread that some people count carbs & calories, but I dont know how to do that. Can someone give me some advice on this please. It is all very new to me and am finding it a bit of a minefield.

Hi Polly :)

Collins gem Carb Counter is a useful little pocket sized book and is just under £4. There are others of course and the library will have many books you can delve into to give you ideas for meals etc.

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Snodger said:
I was reading the National Diabetes Audit (I know! the things I do for fun!) and found this interesting statistic:
In 2008-2009 only 28.6% of type 1s got their HbA1c equal to or below 7.5
The equivalent figure for type 2s was 66.6%.

Please, nobody post here saying that that is because type 1s are all lazy or stupid, because I will have to seek you down and kill you. :wink:
Type 1 is a tough gig.

My first thought was, wondered if the stats had anything to do with whether meds are oral or insulin as my hba1c,s were much lower before I started on insulin, although I have been ill for 18months since my pancreatitis attack, ergo the insulin now. I never had hypos on oral meds but I do now and they are awful and make me feel really weak. Dont think I have good control at the moment.

Thanks synonym, will look for the calorie counter. Have never had to watch my weight or been on a diet before so know little about carbs/calories.

polly

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Synonym said:

Collins gem Carb Counter is a useful little pocket sized book and is just under £4. There are others of course and the library will have many books you can delve into to give you ideas for meals etc.

And for just under a fiver the Collins Gem G.I. book gives the same info plus a traffic light system to identify the glycemic index of all the foods listed :D

gi.jpg

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Sid Bonkers said:
Synonym said:

And for just under a fiver the Collins Gem G.I. book gives the same info plus a traffic light system to identify the glycemic index of all the foods listed :D

Will look on line for the book, thanks everyone.

polly

Andy A

Hi all, its been a while since I've been on the forum (new addition to the family keeping me and Mrs A extremely busy :) ), after I was first diagnosed type 2 at the end of 2008 (first HBA1C 8.1) I worked really hard at my whole lifestyle and diet and was getting A1C's of 5.3- 5.5 with reduced carbs and 3 x 500 metformin a day, then I more than slipped off the bandwagon, eating pretty much what I wanted when I wanted, not taking my meds and let work take over again meaning little structured exercise, pretty silly really but I just got fed up of watching every carb, needless to say I was dreading my last HBA1C, had it done last week and got the results back today, and managed a 6.0, how I dont know, but it shows that with a bit of work I can do much better without the meds, so now its back to reducing the carbs and being sensible, regular exercise and the metformin can stay in the cupboard...

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Sid Bonkers said:
Synonym said:

Thanks for that Sid, wife bought it from WH Smiths for me yesterday. Had a bit of a read last night, looks pretty good so far.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Andy A said:
Hi all, its been a while since I've been on the forum (new addition to the family keeping me and Mrs A extremely busy :) ), after I was first diagnosed type 2 at the end of 2008 (first HBA1C 8.1) I worked really hard at my whole lifestyle and diet and was getting A1C's of 5.3- 5.5 with reduced carbs and 3 x 500 metformin a day, then I more than slipped off the bandwagon, eating pretty much what I wanted when I wanted, not taking my meds and let work take over again meaning little structured exercise, pretty silly really but I just got fed up of watching every carb, needless to say I was dreading my last HBA1C, had it done last week and got the results back today, and managed a 6.0, how I dont know, but it shows that with a bit of work I can do much better without the meds, so now its back to reducing the carbs and being sensible, regular exercise and the metformin can stay in the cupboard...

Hey,

Alot of people fall off the wagon sometimes, but what matters is that you get back on track which is what you've done, especially without medication too!

6% is good without meds so well done! really does show that sometimes with the right person alot of effort and determination you can get there!! :D

Make sure if it starts to get higher you get the meds back out the cupboard though (i hope you don't have to though as i bet it's nice not to have to take them!) :)

oh, and congratulations on your new addition!!

GINNYFLY

Lynne C said:
Hi Ebony

I am Type 1 and my recent HBA1C was 6.6 which pleases my GP no end. I am strict with my diet and go running 4 times a week and walk a lot. Exercise is vital in reducing the amount of insulin you need and making you fitter, plus you feel a lot better about yourself. When you've run up a few hills it tends to put everything into perspective! I've been diabetic for 30 years so I'm not a novice.

Regards

Lynne C
Hi Lynne
Thanks so much for your advice - I completely agree about exercise. I like to garden, play table tennis and swim - also I cycle instead of driving. On a pension I really can't afford to drive anymore than necessary.
Since I was diagnosed I have felt so much better - last week I went for my 1st HBA1C and my doctor was delighted with my result which was 5.9.
:?: Quick question is HBA1C a test for average BS levels?
Gill

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
My own Hba1c at 5.5 is pretty good at present and naturally I would prefer it to go down rather than up! :roll: However, since life is not like that and is actually full of ups and downs I just hope to stay well enough, and stress-free enough, to keep it under control. You just don't know what is around the corner! :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
GINNYFLY said:
Synonym said:
GINNYFLY said:
:?: Quick question is HBA1C a test for average BS levels?
Gill

Hi Gill :)

It is the average. This page will give you a good outline: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
Hi There
Thanks for the link. I thought I was doing so well at 5.9 - now I am confused :? - should my HBA1C be higher or lower :?:
All the best to everyone
Gill

Hi,

I see from another one of your posts that you are on hypo-inducing medication. taking this into account i would say in my opinion that your Hba1c is excellent!

Many T2's that are just controlled by diet and exercise are likely to be able to keep their Hba1c lower than yours. this doesn't mean that you are doing bad or should improve your HBa1c at all.

everybody is different and if your happy and your diabetes team is happy with your result (i also noticed you havent been diagnosed long either) then i see no need to worry so much about your hba1c when you do seem to me to be doing very well.

By all means after some time you may want to reduce your hba1c maybe 0.1 at a time over a few months, it's totally up to you :)

Everywhere you read about BG's and hba1c's will have a different reccomendation and different people aim for different things it doesn't mean you aren;t doing well!! even though i'm T1 i've read into T2 diabetes too and read things on here.

Someone may argue with me but it's all about difference in opinion and i just thought i'd give you mine :)

Curleous

Dislikes
bad manners and rudeness
Hi all
have just read an article on the bbc website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8481770.stm that said people with and hb1ac lower than 7.5 ran the lowest risk of any complications. Any higher then problems and also any lower then problems. I have always been told that they look for 6.5 and i currently am 5.9 after two levels of 5.7 after the previos 6 months. Is it damaging having a hb1ac of below 6 or slightly above and what are the complications of low hb1ac apart from the obvious loss of hypo awareness.

Cheers

Curly

louiseb

was diagnosed type 2 about april time 2010.
my HBA1C in april was 5.7 had another taken the end of may as was seeing doctor for something unrealated to diabetes and he wanted to check HBA1C it came back as 5.9. had another taken mid july in preperation for my appointment at diabetic clinic in the start of august it came back as 6.2.
there seems be a pattern here mine is increasing by about .2 or .3 every month dont know if I should be worried about this but doc thinks it ok.
also HBA1C can hide alot of things I have been having alot og very high bg readings in very high teens for a few weeks but doctor has put that down to an infection and gave me antibiotics which I have taken and it has helped abit although I still cant get my bg below 10!
im aneamic and I know this can have affect on HBA1C making it appear lower than what it really is.
my HBA1C i feel does ot reflect my current state of diabetes.
I am currently diet and excercise controlled.

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Just got my results and have a hba1c of 6.9. Told it was still in pre diabetes range and to come back in 12 months. Must confess to being a bit naughty lately, grankids birthday cake and icecreams in the park :oops: . Good job they are going on holiday so I can get back to normal. :lol:

k9kitty

HA1c blood test

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

How do forum users prepare for and break the fast for HA1c blood test?

As a migraine sufferer and now diabetic, who has to eat small amounts of food regularly, the 12 hours without food causes problems headache wise. keeping hydrated helps but what to eat once I've had the needle without having a too big a rise in bg. :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: HA1c blood test

The West Berkshire Community Hospital has a lovely cafeteria, where they serve an excellent fried breakfast. That's where i usually go.
Hana

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi k9kitty

Has your surgery said you have to fast? - my GP's surgery doesn't do fasting tests for HA1c. I have fasted and not fasted for tests and the results weren't very different (6.3 non fast and 6.1 fasting)

Fasting is needed for a cholesterol test if you want split results (my lab doesn't do this either only if my GP requests it but there has to be a real concern about the level :roll: )

For the fasting test I go first thing in the morning (8.30 am) as I don't normally eat after 8.30 pm anyway it doesn't affect me too much - as to what I eat after - just what I always have for my breakfast really - or if my hubby is with me we treat ourselves to a cooked brekkie at the local witherspoons - minus the white toast of course :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I don't fast for the HbA1c test. It's just done when I go for my 3-monthly appointment at
any time of day. There are other tests you have to fast for though.