Headaches and tiredness hours after hypos

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hello everyone I had quite a bad hypo this morning 3.0 I treated it with skittles and coke and my sugars have been normal for hours now but I have a terrible headache and I’m very tired. Can hypos affect you hours later?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Ziggy2017 Yes they can.. If you think that your brain has been starved of glucose then it can take a while to feel right again, i've had hypo's where i've literally fallen sleep immediately afterwards and woken feeling groggy. Just take care because very often hypos can come later on in the day too as the liver is replenishing it's glucose stores.

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, this is a common post-hypo symptom.
I would often describe it as feeling as if I have a hangover but without the fun memories from the night before.

A doctor once described the impact of low blood sugars causing my brain to swell. I am sure more happens but it was enough information for me to think about how that would cause headaches.

Take care of yourself with plenty of water and BG testing for the rest of the day.
The headache should subside in a few yours.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also get a headache after a hypo and if it's been a bad one then I'm exhausted. Water and nurofen for me.

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone I had quite a bad hypo this morning 3.0 I treated it with skittles and coke and my sugars have been normal for hours now but I have a terrible headache and I’m very tired. Can hypos affect you hours later?

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That definitely happens to me too. I feel sooooo tired and sleepy and unable to do anything for several hours after a hypo. A headache always follows. But that doesn't last as long just as helensaramay said

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Ziggy2017, I have suffered after hypos from mild to severe headaches, very much like the way a common migraine is described.
I call it a brain bruise or brain re-boot. It still does not get me out of the washing up (of unbreakable items) but do not let me near electrical equipment or anything sharp !!:hungover::hungover::hungover:

Reactions: Ziggy2017

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Sadly yes. I am a 50 50 on whether they do but it is always a possibility.

Bobbb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a bit late replying to your question but once (1990) I had a very severe hypo one morning and was taken to A&E. The nurse said to my Mum, who had gone with me, that I would suffer from a severe headache for the rest of the day due to the brain swell caused by the severity of the hypo. I couldn’t recall this but having a rather severe hypo yesterday (no A&E trip necessary) and subsequent almost migraine feeling the entire day my Mum mentioned the incident back in 1990. There’s gotta be truth in this as you have experienced it too. Perhaps many others have also. I’ve had type1 diabetes for 44 years but the headaches can be quite severe after a hypo; I hadn’t put 2&2 together, stupidly.