Health checks

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How often is everyone being sent to have a check up at their clinic? Hba1c etc. My last check up was aug and wondered should I be seen again soon!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It varies depending on your level of control. I am 6 monthly at the mo' , and I think that others are seen less frequently whilst people who are struggling, are possibly seen more often.

JamHam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have appointments every 3 months. My hospital is fantastic with regular appointments.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
By default it's 12 months but can 6 or 3 if control is poor or medication has changed. I agree a next appointment month at my current appointment and then set it all up myself; I don't wait to be called.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It depends on your healthcare trust and your own ability to manage your type 1, so everyone will have a different scenario. I personally have my HbA1c done every 4-5 months at my GP surgery as I have an underactive thyroid and see my consultant once a year, but I have contact via email with my DSN if I need it.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies! I manage my bgs very well and have no other complications. I know the diabetes teams are swamped so i hate bothering them for no good reason but might try and get my hba1c done by the GP

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Once a year on MDI but have been seeing the consultant 6 monthly since changing to my insulin pump, generally if your well controlled, have no issues or concerns then 12 monthly seems to be the average time.

Reactions: 2 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No been for one for 13 months, phoned them up and was told that they haven't forgotten about me and should get one soon. Still waiting........