Healthy Fat, or not?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the whole planet.

Moreover, according to some accounts, Keys didn’t even follow his own advice, and was often seen scoffing down bacon and eggs. No wonder he lived to be over a hundred. I sometimes wonder if he was aware of his deed and the impact it would have on humanity, or if he was such a narcissist that he truly believed the fictional advice he didn’t follow :shifty:

In any case it’s a bit of a miracle, and even more so since, for the most part, the majority still believes him despite everyone dropping dead around us. Cognitive dissonance. A wise man once said “It’s easier to fool people than it is to convince them they’ve been fooled.” No one likes to admit they’ve been eating a disasterous diet for their entire adult life, because to do so would be admitting failure and ignorance. Mostly, only those of us who have reaped the true consequences have been fortunate enough to see the truth for what it is - money makes the world tick.

C’est la vie :cool:
I wonder what they have been teaching our GPs at medical school. You would have thought they would have got it right in those great institutions of research and learning.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what they have been teaching our GPs at medical school. You would have thought they would have got it right in those great institutions of research and learning.
Not sure they get to cover much in their 4 hours of nutrition training.. or however brief it its...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see. It’s as little as that.....
I'm guessing it will vary from college to college but it's not very much from what I have read... and of course it will usually be dismissed as likely irrelevant because we have "medication"...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm guessing it will vary from college to college but it's not very much from what I have read... and of course it will usually be dismissed as likely irrelevant because we have "medication"...
As in if we can’t give a medicine for it then it’s not relevant?

M

Member496333

As in if we can’t give a medicine for it then it’s not relevant?

I believe it’s more just a general all round failure to recognise that all these “diseases” that require pharmaceutical interventions, are actually ailments that require dietary ones.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe it’s more just a general all round failure to recognise that all these “diseases” that require pharmaceutical interventions, are actually ailments that require dietary ones.
Which is what I said to the nurse in our last conversation, worded only slightly differently.

Reactions: Member496333

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we will shortly be living on one pension between two people, so simply cannot afford to be eating half a pack of cheese/nuts/ham as a snack, or dousing everything in cream. Esp as even this has failed to halt the weight loss.
We all have to eat according to our budget and if you will not be able to afford those things it is fine do not feel you have to have them . Despite what some here say low carb eating all the things recommended can be expensive and beyond those on a fixed budget and I am sure that is true for a lot of members here. I also am not convinced yet on the "fat is good for us" there is not enough long term evidence out there to say it is.. I can't see it ever being recommended now as we are all being encouraged to help the planet by eating less animal products

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all have to eat according to our budget and if you will not be able to afford those things it is fine do not feel you have to have them . Despite what some here say low carb eating all the things recommended can be expensive and beyond those on a fixed budget and I am sure that is true for a lot of members here. I also am not convinced yet on the "fat is good for us" there is not enough long term evidence out there to say it is.. I can't see it ever being recommended now as we are all being encouraged to help the planet by eating less animal products
I do agree with you on the budget side of things. It is more expensive or so it seems to me. My only reservation is that I seem to have a tendency to eat less on a LCHF diet so (without costing it out) it might not be so much more than it would first seem.

How do you find things? Presumably a lot more expensive?

M

Member496333

It’s certainly more expensive eating low carbohydrate, but in my opinion not by much. I do dispute the doubt over long term evidence of the safety and efficacy of higher fat consumption, though. Three millions years of testing ought to be enough. The real question that should have been asked, and answered, in 1977 was - is it safe to reduce intake of a critical macronutrient and replace it with vast quantities of glucose? In my view, we now have the answer to that question ;)

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Because we have been lied to thanks to that Ancel Keys fella...
It is interesting how thinking on the balance of fat, carbs and proteins have developed isn't it. The scientific world identified that fat was the cause of heart disease, but then suppressed the fact that there are good and bad fats for over 20 years. The backdrop to all this was of course the rise of processed foods. The food industry could make so much more profit from processed foods which don't go off and which can be produced and distributed on an industrial scale. Real food went out of favour because it cost more and it was difficult to store and preserve. I can still remember white bread that was so badly made that you could take a piece and roll it into a sticky ball. The food industry benefited from the demonisation of fat, by replacing fat with carbohydrates. I live in Norfolk. It depresses me when I drive past huge mounds of sugar beet which is waiting to be collected and processed into white sugar which does us nothing but harm.

Reactions: Chook

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been advised against eating a lot of fat in the past. But as a kid I hated fat on meat anyway. My wife eats fat well cooked though and so I know that I like it on bacon as long as it’s crispy for example.

Eating lard is just an alien concept for me and cannot at the moment bring myself to eat it. I know in bygone years lard and dripping etc was consumed more readily but I grew up in a later era where we cut the fat off our bacon, ate it lean and did the same with other meats, avoided frying where grilling could be applied instead.

I am eating more fat now in an attempt to comply with the needs of a LCHF diet but eating lard is another thing entirely :D

Also I have no gall bladder now so I am not sure how far I can go eating fat.
I grew up when frying in fat was a big part of cooking a meal lots of sugar stuff was eaten and fatty meat was the normal...I always cut the fat off bacon and meat ... Gradually as more food products became available from abroad so peoples shopping changed and they started to use oils for cooking instead of lard they wanted meat with the fat taken off and chicken became one of the favourites as it became more affordable and much lower fat than red meat. Pasta arrived people and children just loved it it was such an easy meal so we were already moving away from saturated fat without even being told to and as time went on there were more and more low fat foods available and it became the normal way to eat and I do not think most people want to go back to eating high fat anymore and I am certainly one of those

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I grew up when frying in fat was a big part of cooking a meal lots of sugar stuff was eaten and fatty meat was the normal...I always cut the fat off bacon and meat ... Gradually as more food products became available from abroad so peoples shopping changed and they started to use oils for cooking instead of lard they wanted meat with the fat taken off and chicken became one of the favourites as it became more affordable and much lower fat than red meat. Pasta arrived people and children just loved it it was such an easy meal so we were already moving away from saturated fat without even being told to and as time went on there were more and more low fat foods available and it became the normal way to eat and I do not think most people want to go back to eating high fat anymore and I am certainly one of those
And ooo look people started to get fat and develop T2 diabetes...no connection?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite what some here say low carb eating all the things recommended can be expensive and beyond those on a fixed budget and I am sure that is true for a lot of members here.
I have to disagree.. we now have no food waste whatsoever and our food bills have gone down. Beef mince at £3 per kilo, ox liver at £1.60 per kilo.. eggs are cheap as eggs.. it doesn't have to be expensive to eat low carb you just need to be a savvy shopper.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And ooo look people started to get fat and develop T2 diabetes...no connection?
I am not saying if that is the cause of T2 or not we still do not know what causes it. I am just talking about how we have changed our eating habits over the years as different varieties of foods became available..Anyway being obese is not the cause in itself of diabetes as slim people get T2 as well Weight may just be a factor with some people along with other things that causes it that we do not yet know about like why slim people get it and many overweight people never will

M

Member496333

Inappropriate carbohydrate ingestion is the root cause of insulin resistant diabetes. Both in thin or obese people.