Healthy fats?

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
Any advice on "healthy fats" as part of a low carb, high fat diet? My doctor at diagnosis told me to avoid saturated fat and cut down on carbs. Or if you don't worry about "healthy fats" at all as part of LCHF, please also contribute.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I avoid grain oils, high omg 6 and trans fats including marge, olive oil is unlimited and I balance the other fats and oils to it. high fasting saturated fats in your bloods are bad, there is enough evidence that it doesn't come from eating saturated fats

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/How-To-Overcome-Fat-Phobia.htm

Every large-scale study intended to be "definitive" on the subject showed that dietary fat did not have a negative impact on health (examples here and here). Even withsaturated fats, long been thought to contribute to heart disease, the link has been shown to be weak at best, and may not be present at all.

Are some fats bad? Many experts are now saying we should not eat too much soy and seed oil (e.g. corn and safflower), which are rich in omega-6 fats and may contribute to chronic inflammation in our bodies. Artificial trans-fats (partially hydrogenated fats) are definitely bad news. By and large, sticking to natural fats in whole foods is a good guide to follow.

history of fats
Dr. Miller is professor of surgery, cardiothoracic division, Univ. Washington

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
If worried about fats, Have a read of The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz. A very interesting read. Free sample On kindle and full download for just a few pounds.

In my opinion, If looking to loose weight don't overdo fats, if your weight is stable eat as much as you like, but avoid the hydrogenated and other man made as Jack says.

Reactions: 2 people