Heart failure

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, still being told by DN that my hba1c is fine. Testing and rarely get a reading under 9 so dont know how this can be, but hey ho, what do i know?
Now having major fluid retention in legs and feet, been having breathlessness for years (window open, fan blowing in face 365/24/7 for about 2 years, but getting worse. Heart murmaur and enlarged heart so being investigated for heart failure. Taking diuretics apparently speeds up kidney damage so havent been allowed to take those (although if HF is confirmed it will be heart vs kidney and I will have to take them)
Anyone else out there suffering?

Michelle :)

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Not in any way suffering as you are - I just wanted to post to say "hello" and wish you all the best really.

Hope you get some results soon - once you have those, perhaps you will be able to work on feeling better in yourself - must be annoying/tiresome having breathlessness and all your other ailments on top of diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i also have heart failure .. But no heart murmur.... Could I ask if you are following the low carb high fat way of eating ? It has reduced my heart problems to the point of having to be able to stop taking some of my heart medication

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shelly,

Really sorry to hear this. Must be miserable. And worse on the hot days.

Here is a chart showing the conversion of hba1c units into prick test mmol/l units.

I hope someone comes along who can post about improvements to similar circumstances, like @Enclave

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now having major fluid retention in legs and feet
When I had the fluid retention I was advised by my heart failure nurse to measure what I drank and also measure the amount of urine I produced .. then I had to reduce my fluid intake until they balanced ... Other things I was advised was epsom salt baths .. my poor legs looked like they would explode and when pressed the dent made took days to fill back out again..
As I said in an earlier posting .. my LCHF diet sorted it all out !!! I was on 20g of carbs a day and swapped all my low fat foods for full fat ones ... My heart failure nurse is amazed with the improvement to my health .. took back her offer of end of life care and said hello to our new dog as the old one cannot keep up with all my walking.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. WAS doing lchf but slipped off a while back and struggling to cut the carbs again ( I work for warburtons bread, theres no hope lol) I know its the way forward to just going to have to suck it up and crack on......tests on Friday, results I dunno when but crossing fingers :)

DoctorDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shelly,

Here is a chart showing the conversion of hba1c units into prick test mmol/l units.

I hope someone comes along who can post about improvements to similar circumstances, like @Enclave
Thanks so much for posting this chart, Brunneria, it's a really helpful ready-reckoner to keep me motivated!!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi shelly , Do you have your blood results? Your potassium needs to be well up to stop heart irregularity nearer to 5 than 4. The normal diuretic for heart failure is a potassium sparing one like Spironolactone or Eplerenone. I take the latter and it doesn't affect my kidneys although I do have some kidney disease. One has to be blood tested regularly to check potassium doesn't go too high.

regards D.

So, still being told by DN that my hba1c is fine. Testing and rarely get a reading under 9 so dont know how this can be, but hey ho, what do i know?
Now having major fluid retention in legs and feet, been having breathlessness for years (window open, fan blowing in face 365/24/7 for about 2 years, but getting worse. Heart murmaur and enlarged heart so being investigated for heart failure. Taking diuretics apparently speeds up kidney damage so havent been allowed to take those (although if HF is confirmed it will be heart vs kidney and I will have to take them)
Anyone else out there suffering?

Michelle :)

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for posting that HB1ac chart. I have made a huge color copy of it and posted it on my wall. Thanks Brunneria!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi shelly , Do you have your blood results? Your potassium needs to be well up to stop heart irregularity nearer to 5 than 4. The normal diuretic for heart failure is a potassium sparing one like Spironolactone or Eplerenone. I take the latter and it doesn't affect my kidneys although I do have some kidney disease. One has to be blood tested regularly to check potassium doesn't go too high.

regards D.

Having full bloods done tomorrow. My DN is neither use nor ornament tbh, have to nag and fight to get her to tell me the HBA1C results!! All tests tomorrow but dont suppose I will get to know any results for ages after lol xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having full bloods done tomorrow. My DN is neither use nor ornament tbh, have to nag and fight to get her to tell me the HBA1C results!! All tests tomorrow but dont suppose I will get to know any results for ages after lol xx

Are you registered for your practice appointment booking system? If so, you may have already access to your patient record. If not, you should apply for it.

I can look back at my test results, and I believe they are added as soon as they are back from the lab, although that might actually be when a Doc has reviewed them. I'll be able to clarify that bit when I have my next round of tests. To me, that feels a lot better than grovelling for information about myself.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks everyone. WAS doing lchf but slipped off a while back and struggling to cut the carbs again ( I work for warburtons bread, theres no hope lol) I know its the way forward to just going to have to suck it up and crack on......tests on Friday, results I dunno when but crossing fingers :)
If you ever get the opportunity ask warburtons to produce protein baps and sliced bread. Please.
Any opportunity.

lindisfel

Expert
I am afraid this rainbow looks over-optimistic to me. Apparently one can still get neuropathy in the prediabetic range! D.
Hi Shelly,

Last edited by a moderator:

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you ever get the opportunity ask warburtons to produce protein baps and sliced bread. Please.
Any opportunity.
Its top secret but us staff are currently trialing a sliced protein loaf! Dont tell anyone or I will have to kill you hehe ;)

lindisfel

Expert
After looking at Professor Sakaris video on YouTube one realises that damage to the heart starts at 5.5 or an hba1c of 37! At which level patients are beginning to show signs of prediabetes.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the ECG was normal. Awaiting the results from the blood tests now. What else would cause breathlessness, cough, swollen ankles/feet/palpitations and rapid heart beat?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news on the ECG! That must be a weight off your mind. :)

Um, in answer to your question,
What else would cause breathlessness, cough, swollen ankles/feet/palpitations and rapid heart beat?

off the top of my head:

asthma
chest infection
heat (swollen ankles)
humidity (swollen ankles)
inactivity (swollen ankles)
too much coffee (this can also raise blood pressure, and does so for me)
contraindications LOTS of diff medications, especially if taken in combination

I should think there are many more, too.

I think my first step would be to look online at the contraindications listed for any medication you are on, and see if any of them list any of your symptoms...

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news on the ECG! That must be a weight off your mind. :)

Um, in answer to your question,

off the top of my head:

asthma
chest infection
heat (swollen ankles)
humidity (swollen ankles)
inactivity (swollen ankles)
too much coffee (this can also raise blood pressure, and does so for me)
contraindications LOTS of diff medications, especially if taken in combination

I should think there are many more, too.

I think my first step would be to look online at the contraindications listed for any medication you are on, and see if any of them list any of your symptoms...

Thats useful. I have asthma, its been warm (ish) and I am overweight which I know does not help. Only 2 cups of coffee per day and not on any medication except anti-histamines for the numerous allergies I have. I SUSPECT I am menopausal and think some of the symptoms could be down to this too. Keeping a stiff upper lip till I get told any different lol xx

Edit for the bloody typos lol

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Oh you poor thing "Warburtons"... How can we expect you to stay on the wagon:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum