Hello and ?Advice re Carbs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm new here. 54 yr old female, was told two days ago I am prediabetic with fasting blood glucose of 5.8. The advice from the nurse was to try to lose weight, reduce free sugars and white bread/ pasta/ rice and to come back to be re-tested in 6 months.
After the excesses of Christmas I was sick of the sweet stuff anyway, it's no hardship to continue avoiding it, I don't like pasta or rice. I'd already made a half hearted attempt to lose some weight but more focused on that now (2 and a half stone to a healthy weight) Ive a couple of questions I didn't think to ask at the appointment
1. The nurse didn't mention exercise but this website does, I go to one Pilates class and two Aqua fit classes per week, done this for nearly two years and will continue indefinitely as it's keeping a back problem at bay, also I walk my dog daily. Is this enough?
2. I do like potatoes and wholemeal bread and would find it difficult to give them up entirely, is the glycaemic load of a meal still a thing? Would the impact of those carbs be less if I ate a small amount with fat and protein?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me advice

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Greyhoundwalker. Well done on taking pre-emptive action now to avoid becoming fully diabetic.
It sounds as if you are aware of what you need to do.
Regarding exercise, well what you eat is more important. The saying is you can't exercise out of a bad diet. But exercise will help too. Pilates and swimming sound excellent. I used to walk a lot when I was first diagnosed, but just try to do 10,000 steps a day now.
As to the potatoes and wholemeal bread, I have found it hard to give them up completely too, and still eat them, though not so often and in smaller quantities when I do.
There are low carb alternatives. You could use celeriac in place of potatoes. Some love it, I'm not too keen on the slightly 'celery' taste, but that can be disguised with lots of butter or melted cheese.
I still eat usually two slices of wholemeal bread most days, about 30gms of carbs, which would be to many carbs for some. The lowest carb widely available bread is Burgen Soya & Linseed, which is available in most supermarkets.

The only way to find out which how different foods affect you is to test your blood glucose before eating, then 2 hours after to see how much it has spiked your bg level.

Have a read round the forum and ask any questions you want. The people on here are friendly and supportive, and you will get a lot of good advice.

Reactions: Fo
M

Member496333

Exercise is not particularly effective as a means for losing weight in the context of burning calories (your body will make you eat them back), but it does help burn glucose/glycogen and will have a positive effect on insulin sensitivity. Improved insulin sensitivity will help to keep blood glucose concentration from being too elevated too often, which in turn will help you lose weight.

Focus on minimal insulin secretion through diet & exercise, and weight loss should follow in time. Additionally, weight loss will improve insulin sensitivity. The virtuous cycle continues. One hand washes the other.

Reactions: keefidee and Prem51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Greyhoundwalker @daisy1 will soon be along to provide you with great information. For most people exercise is forgive the pun the icing on the cake, as most are not prepared to train for 4 to 5 hours a day to get as big an impact as dietary change. Diet is around 85% of the whole picture (for some 100%). In my case I do train at a high amateur level so I perhaps have a different ratio. Your exercise choices are great, along with the walking (a tip is to do the walking where possible after any meal, as this drops blood glucose).

A large baked potato has 18 teaspoons of sugar so is not the best choice (in my view for anyone). You might consider swapping potato for cauliflower or celeriac, there are many recipes online. I make flax meal mug bread which if you like cream cheese, cheese on toast or marmite is a great low carb replacement (in a cup - quarter of a cup of flax meal, half a teaspoon of baking soda, an egg. Stir and microwave for between 1 minute and a minute 30 (depends on the strength of your microwave). If my oven has been on I put this in there for a few moments, as it can be a bit moist, or I let it totally cool. Both glycaemic load and value matter, but even a lower load, which will reduce the spike, still requires the hit of insulin, just over a longer time period; this is still bad for someone glucose intolerant. Fat will blunt the hit of higher glycaemic food, but a simpler way to use alternatives.

Pancakes are a good alternative to bread. I make mine using coconut flour (quarter cup of coconut flour, quarter cup of cream cheese, 2 eggs, a teaspoon of baking soda - blend until consistency is smooth. I use butter or MCT oil in pan (lowish heat) and turn the pancakes when bubbles appear. If you have a waffle maker this works well also.

Some ideas (the chips are butternut squash):
upload_2019-1-23_10-22-16.png

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm new here. 54 yr old female, was told two days ago I am prediabetic with fasting blood glucose of 5.8. The advice from the nurse was to try to lose weight, reduce free sugars and white bread/ pasta/ rice and to come back to be re-tested in 6 months.
After the excesses of Christmas I was sick of the sweet stuff anyway, it's no hardship to continue avoiding it, I don't like pasta or rice. I'd already made a half hearted attempt to lose some weight but more focused on that now (2 and a half stone to a healthy weight) Ive a couple of questions I didn't think to ask at the appointment
1. The nurse didn't mention exercise but this website does, I go to one Pilates class and two Aqua fit classes per week, done this for nearly two years and will continue indefinitely as it's keeping a back problem at bay, also I walk my dog daily. Is this enough?
2. I do like potatoes and wholemeal bread and would find it difficult to give them up entirely, is the glycaemic load of a meal still a thing? Would the impact of those carbs be less if I ate a small amount with fat and protein?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me advice

Hi @Greyhoundwalker ,
I'll start off by tagging @daisy1 for her excellent info-sheet. And then I'll tell you, you excersize a lot more than I do! (I just walk on the weekends). So you're doing good there. ;) But like @Prem51 said, food is what's REALLY important. Glycemic index isn't really a thing, not for T2's and prediabetics, as a carb is a carb is a carb, and they'll need to be processed out, no matter whether they're white brown, wholemeal or whatever. Dietdoctor.com had loads of low carb recepies you might be interested in, and it's an excellent way to stave of developing T2, avoid complications and to stay off medication. There are bread recepies on there too, and personally, I replaced spuds with cauliflower rice with bacon and cheese. Nice and filling, and versatile; just add herbs/spices and it's never the same meal twice. :)

Any questions, throw them out there!
jo

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @Greyhoundwalker. Well done on taking pre-emptive action now to avoid becoming fully diabetic.
It sounds as if you are aware of what you need to do.
Regarding exercise, well what you eat is more important. The saying is you can't exercise out of a bad diet. But exercise will help too. Pilates and swimming sound excellent. I used to walk a lot when I was first diagnosed, but just try to do 10,000 steps a day now.
As to the potatoes and wholemeal bread, I have found it hard to give them up completely too, and still eat them, though not so often and in smaller quantities when I do.
There are low carb alternatives. You could use celeriac in place of potatoes. Some love it, I'm not too keen on the slightly 'celery' taste, but that can be disguised with lots of butter or melted cheese.
I still eat usually two slices of wholemeal bread most days, about 30gms of carbs, which would be to many carbs for some. The lowest carb widely available bread is Burgen Soya & Linseed, which is available in most supermarkets.

The only way to find out which how different foods affect you is to test your blood glucose before eating, then 2 hours after to see how much it has spiked your bg level.

Have a read round the forum and ask any questions you want. The people on here are friendly and supportive, and you will get a lot of good advice.

Thank you for the welcome! Sounds like I need to get a testing device, will go to the chemists later. Thanks for the bread suggestion, I have seen the Burgen one in my local COOP seems like that would be a good place to start in cutting down.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise is not particularly effective as a means for losing weight in the context of burning calories (your body will make you eat them back), but it does help burn glucose/glycogen and will have a positive effect on insulin sensitivity. Improved insulin sensitivity will help to keep blood glucose concentration from being too elevated too often, which in turn will help you lose weight.

Focus on minimal insulin secretion through diet & exercise, and weight loss should follow in time. Additionally, weight loss will improve insulin sensitivity. The virtuous cycle continues. One hand washes the other.
Thanks for your reply, I wasn't meaning to exercise for weight loss, it was a revelation when I found the exercise helped my back regardless of weight as it was the first time I'd understood that they were not completely connected. It was the insulin sensitivity element I was interested in and it's really good to know the exercise will help! Thankyou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Greyhoundwalker @daisy1 will soon be along to provide you with great information. For most people exercise is forgive the pun the icing on the cake, as most are not prepared to train for 4 to 5 hours a day to get as big an impact as dietary change. Diet is around 85% of the whole picture (for some 100%). In my case I do train at a high amateur level so I perhaps have a different ratio. Your exercise choices are great, along with the walking (a tip is to do the walking where possible after any meal, as this drops blood glucose).

A large baked potato has 18 teaspoons of sugar so is not the best choice (in my view for anyone). You might consider swapping potato for cauliflower or celeriac, there are many recipes online. I make flax meal mug bread which if you like cream cheese, cheese on toast or marmite is a great low carb replacement (in a cup - quarter of a cup of flax meal, half a teaspoon of baking soda, an egg. Stir and microwave for between 1 minute and a minute 30 (depends on the strength of your microwave). If my oven has been on I put this in there for a few moments, as it can be a bit moist, or I let it totally cool. Both glycaemic load and value matter, but even a lower load, which will reduce the spike, still requires the hit of insulin, just over a longer time period; this is still bad for someone glucose intolerant. Fat will blunt the hit of higher glycaemic food, but a simpler way to use alternatives.

Pancakes are a good alternative to bread. I make mine using coconut flour (quarter cup of coconut flour, quarter cup of cream cheese, 2 eggs, a teaspoon of baking soda - blend until consistency is smooth. I use butter or MCT oil in pan (lowish heat) and turn the pancakes when bubbles appear. If you have a waffle maker this works well also.

Some ideas (the chips are butternut squash):
View attachment 30785
Oh wow those look great! Thanks for the ideas, looks like this might not be as difficult as I thought, do these keep for 24 hours in the fridge so I can pack my lunch for work the night before?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Greyhoundwalker ,
I'll start off by tagging @daisy1 for her excellent info-sheet. And then I'll tell you, you excersize a lot more than I do! (I just walk on the weekends). So you're doing good there. ;) But like @Prem51 said, food is what's REALLY important. Glycemic index isn't really a thing, not for T2's and prediabetics, as a carb is a carb is a carb, and they'll need to be processed out, no matter whether they're white brown, wholemeal or whatever. Dietdoctor.com had loads of low carb recepies you might be interested in, and it's an excellent way to stave of developing T2, avoid complications and to stay off medication. There are bread recepies on there too, and personally, I replaced spuds with cauliflower rice with bacon and cheese. Nice and filling, and versatile; just add herbs/spices and it's never the same meal twice. :)

Any questions, throw them out there!
jo
Hi and thanks for your reply, people here seem very friendly and helpful! I do love cauliflower that should make things easier.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sounds like I need to get a testing device, will go to the chemists later.
Make sure you get one that uses inexpensive strips. Buying a meter is a bit like buying a jet ink printer. The printer is cheap, but you pay through your nose for the ink cartridges.
I'm sure someone can advise you as to which one to get. I'm just a lucky Dane who gets everything sponsored, so I know nothing about prices.
Welcome, and good luck with everything. :)

Reactions: keefidee and Prem51
M

Member496333

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't meaning to exercise for weight loss, it was a revelation when I found the exercise helped my back regardless of weight as it was the first time I'd understood that they were not completely connected. It was the insulin sensitivity element I was interested in and it's really good to know the exercise will help! Thankyou

Try to stick with reasonably comfortable aerobic exercise or mild weight training with some dumbbells if you can. Muscle tissue sucks up glucose like a sponge. My advice is to not overdo anything, though. Shifting toward more stressful anaerobic efforts can increase blood glucose in the short term :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Oh wow those look great! Thanks for the ideas, looks like this might not be as difficult as I thought, do these keep for 24 hours in the fridge so I can pack my lunch for work the night before?
The coconut pancake mix as waffles kept really well overnight at a Premier Inn, just in a food bag, I haven't tried anything else apart from roasted nuts (most apart from cashews) with ginger and cinnamon.

Truthfully, I eat more varied now than ever, if you search my alias in the forum section I have more examples - miniscule in comparison to what's available online such as YouTube.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Make sure you get one that uses inexpensive strips. Buying a meter is a bit like buying a jet ink printer. The printer is cheap, but you pay through your nose for the ink cartridges.
I'm sure someone can advise you as to which one to get. I'm just a lucky Dane who gets everything sponsored, so I know nothing about prices.
Welcome, and good luck with everything. :)
Thanks, that's useful to know, I wouldn't have thought about the on going cost, think I'll do a little research first!

Reactions: Prem51 and briped
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try to stick with reasonably comfortable aerobic exercise or mild weight training with some dumbbells if you can. Muscle tissue sucks up glucose like a sponge. My advice is to not overdo anything, though. Shifting toward more stressful anaerobic efforts can increase blood glucose in the short term :)
Thank you, that's really helpful. My son has a static bike that I can use and build up slowly, and we use weighted handballs in Pilates that I had thought about buying to use at home so that seems like a good starting point :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks, that's useful to know, I wouldn't have thought about the on going cost, think I'll do a little research first!
A lot of the people on here use the TEE2+ (I do), which is available from spirit-healthcare.co.uk. I am abroad so don't have the link, but you can just google TEE2+. The meter costs £9.99, and the testing strips About £7.75 for 50. You can order direct from Spirit Healthcare online, and I think you can buy them from Boots.
The other meter which has cheaper testing strips is the SD Code Free, bu I don't know the details for that.

Reactions: jjraak

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Greyhoundwalker
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of the people on here use the TEE2+ (I do), which is available from spirit-healthcare.co.uk. I am abroad so don't have the link, but you can just google TEE2+. The meter costs £9.99, and the testing strips About £7.75 for 50. You can order direct from Spirit Healthcare online, and I think you can buy them from Boots.
The other meter which has cheaper testing strips is the SD Code Free, bu I don't know the details for that.
Thank you :)

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Greyhoundwalker
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.
Thank you Daisy1, that's a lot of helpful information. I have tried low carb before, (trying to improve satiety while trying to lose weight) but found it left me headachy by late afternoon. Maybe I should cut the carbs down gradually this time to give my body time to adapt as it seems this is something I need to find a way of sticking to!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried low carb before, (trying to improve satiety while trying to lose weight) but found it left me headachy by late afternoon.
Sounds a bit like a lack of salt? often causes headaches and by missing out a lot fo processed foods we can become a bit low on salt intake. I put it in my coffee..

Reactions: Greyhoundwalker

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Greyhoundwalker welcometo the forum. Just a couple of food to buy suggestions that have helped me. Sainsburys do a high protein seeded sliced loaf called HiLo which I have found the closest to real bread at only 5g carbs per slice. You can buy portions of cauli rice (4 per bag) and also green rice (brocollli, kale) at ICELAND very reasonable and handy to have. Hope you like eggs because they will become your best friend cooked any which way. All the best.

Reactions: TrendyD and Fo