Hello everyone

Emz100

Hi.
I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes but I think I have it. I've been to the GP and had blood tests. The hba1c has come back as no diabetes . I have hypos and I'm constantly using the toilet.
Anyone else had this issue, but not been diagnosed?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome, Emz100. I'm sorry you feel unwell. Do you know what your actual results were? Is there another GP you can speak to at your surgery for a second opinion?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, we can’t diagnose you so please get all the tests available done or a second medical opinion. What I will say though, for diabetes we wouldn’t go hypo or have low blood sugars. We actually go in the opposite direction which is constant high blood sugar readings.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum,

In addition to telling us what your HbA1c (diagnosis test) was, can you explain how you know you have hypos?

Emz100

We actually go in the opposite direction which is constant high blood sugar readings.

Oh, so you don't have low blood sugar then?
My hba1c reading was 35mmol. I have spoken to 4 different doctors and they all say the same, because my hba1c reading is fine then I don't have diabetes.
When I explained how I felt to the doctor they said that is low blood sugar.

Reactions: Barrowbakers

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, so you don't have low blood sugar then?
My hba1c reading was 35mmol. I have spoken to 4 different doctors and they all say the same, because my hba1c reading is fine then I don't have diabetes.
When I explained how I felt to the doctor they said that is low blood sugar.
Diabetes means high blood sugars, never low. When I was diagnosed, I was running extremely high and I had to be put on emergency insulin. I only experience low blood sugars after my diagnosis and using insulin to lower my blood sugars. What was your HbA1c?

Edit: if it is 35, then you're fine. but please seek another medical opinion about your other symptoms.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome again.
5.4 % or 35 mmol/mol or (averaging 6.0 mmol/l). So your GP's are following the guidelines below: you don't have diabetes as you HbA1c is below 6.0%.
Here's a unit converter: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

HbA1c in diagnosis
HbA1c can indicate people with prediabetes or diabetes as follows:

HbA1c mmol/mol %
Normal
Below 42 mmol/mol Below 6.0%
Prediabetes
42 to 47 mmol/mol 6.0% to 6.4%
Diabetes
48 mmol/mol or over 6.5% or over

Just a suggestion, when you next visit to your GP, you may just list out the individual symptoms you are experiencing, rather than label it as a hypo as it may be some other health problem. Or if you remain convinced it is a hypo, read up on non-diabetic hypos: https://www.healthline.com/health/hypoglycemia-without-diabetes
At the end of the day, you still need to seek your GP's advice.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My reading was 35 mmol
If anyone could correct me if I'm wrong.

Pre-diabetes ranges from 43-47mmol/l , above 47mmol/l is diabetic level.
A healthy person's hba1c is anything under 42mmol/l
OP do you kind of understand when I said diabetics hba1c will be a lot higher than 47. A diabetic wouldn't be 35mmol/l before diagnosis. I can promise you that.

Last edited:

Emz100

If anyone could correct me if I'm wrong.

Pre-diabetes ranges from 43-47mmol/l , above 47mmol/l is diabetic level.
A healthy person's hba1c is anything under 42mmol/l
OP do you kind of understand when I said diabetics hba1c will be a lot higher then 47. A diabetic wouldn't be 35mmol/l before diagnosis. I can promise you that.
Ok thank you for your help.
I suffer from anxiety also.

Emz100

Welcome again.
5.4 % or 35 mmol/mol or (averaging 6.0 mmol/l). So your GP's are following the guidelines below: you don't have diabetes as you HbA1c is below 6.0%.
Here's a unit converter: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

HbA1c in diagnosis
HbA1c can indicate people with prediabetes or diabetes as follows:

HbA1c mmol/mol %
Normal
Below 42 mmol/mol Below 6.0%
Prediabetes
42 to 47 mmol/mol 6.0% to 6.4%
Diabetes
48 mmol/mol or over 6.5% or over

Just a suggestion, when you next visit to your GP, you may just list out the individual symptoms you are experiencing, rather than label it as a hypo as it may be some other health problem. Or if you remain convinced it is a hypo, read up on non-diabetic hypos: https://www.healthline.com/health/hypoglycemia-without-diabetes
At the end of the day, you still need to seek your GP's advice.
Yes I did explain my symptoms individually and the gp said, you are experiencing low blood sugar, which is then why I was sent for blood tests.

I'm back to the GP next week to talk again about my symptoms and hope they can help me. I've had a lot of blood work done but they couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I did explain my symptoms individually and the gp said, you are experiencing low blood sugar, which is then why I was sent for blood tests.

I'm back to the GP next week to talk again about my symptoms and hope they can help me. I've had a lot of blood work done but they couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

When you have these hypos, how do you know they are hypos? Do you test yourself at the time? They may not be low blood sugar at all. How do you feel?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes but I think I have it. I've been to the GP and had blood tests. The hba1c has come back as no diabetes . I have hypos and I'm constantly using the toilet.
Anyone else had this issue, but not been diagnosed?
Like others said, hypers are usually the problem that'll get a T2 diagnosed, not hypo's. But if you really are suffering from hypo's, (and you can check that by getting yourself a meter, if your doc isn't exploring the possibility as yet and needs some testresults for a nudge), there is a chance you could be experiencing Reactive Hypoglycemia. That happens when you eat a carby meal, and your body overreacts by putting out too much insulin, making your bloodsugars drop after 2 to 3 hours after eating. You could request a MMTT (Mixed Meal Tolerance Test) to make it official, but basically, the solution for reactive hypoglycemia, as I've understood it, is pretty much the same as it is for T2's with high bloodsugars: Cut carbs. If you do, your body won't overreact with too much insulin. Provided reactive hypoglycemia is the problem to begin with eh. It's something to test for and find out.

Good luck!
Jo

Emz100

When you have these hypos, how do you know they are hypos? Do you test yourself at the time? They may not be low blood sugar at all. How do you feel?

The GP said that it was low blood sugar. She didn't actually call it a hypo, but after googling my symptoms it comes back with hypo. Its not after a meal, it's when I need to eat. I have cold sweats, feel anxious, shakey, faint.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The GP said that it was low blood sugar. She didn't actually call it a hypo, but after googling my symptoms it comes back with hypo. Its not after a meal, it's when I need to eat. I have cold sweats, feel anxious, shakey, faint.

Why aren't you testing when you feel like this? It is important. Do you have your own blood glucose meter? If you test your blood sugars at these times it will tell you instantly if your sugars are low or not.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I recommend getting a blood glucose monitor to check when you're feeling low!

Please also consider a check on your Adrenal Gland. If you have an issue with this, similar to Addisons Disease, this could be a reason that your body is allowing you to go hypoglycaemic without diabetes, and not self-correcting using your glycogen.

Always make sure you're eating enough, as this can also be a cause!

Hope you're feeling better soon too! <3

Endydo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Get a second opinion!!! I had a doctor tell me in 2009 that I wasn’t diabetic and did not need medication. By September of 2010 I lost my eye sight (while driving my car). I had to call a cab to take me to the local ER. I was in diabetic ketoacidosis. Plus I had some kidney damage by then. My point is, if you feel like you are a diabetic, you need to be proactive!! This is YOUR LIFE. Be your best advocate for yourself. I just wish I had been.

Emz100

Hi!

I recommend getting a blood glucose monitor to check when you're feeling low!

Please also consider a check on your Adrenal Gland. If you have an issue with this, similar to Addisons Disease, this could be a reason that your body is allowing you to go hypoglycaemic without diabetes, and not self-correcting using your glycogen.

Always make sure you're eating enough, as this can also be a cause!

Hope you're feeling better soon too! <3

I did wonder whether it could be that I’m not eating enough. Can the hba1c ever be wrong?