1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by derivadow, Oct 14, 2019.

1. derivadow

derivadow Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm Tom--I live in London with my wife and two children and work for Wellcome Collection, part of Wellcome (a biomedical charity) doing digital things.

I've recently i.e. last month developed Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 47 (harumph!) following a stomach bug of some sort I picked up from swimming in a river on a camping trip. I ended up in hospital for 4 days with DKA, which fwiw is something to be avoided.

I'm now getting use to my new normal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Wellcome is a great place to work and a warren to explore. They helped me out on some work stuff.
    Your new normal will soon just be normal - and there is some great tech to help when you are ready. In the meantime ask any questions and get the basics sorted.

3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@derivadow . Welcome to the forum and also the wonderful world of T1 diabetes.
    Good to hear that you are getting use to your new normal.
    I have to admit that even after 28 yrs sometimes things are far from normal where T1 is concerned.:)
    Personally I believe that positivity is the best way to live with T1 and you sound a positive guy, things are looking good already.;).

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @derivadow and welcome to the forum :)

Lots of new friends here with many years of experience to help support you on your way.

6. derivadow

derivadow Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Diakat, thanks for the links and good to hear we were able to help with your work :). Getting my hands on some of that tech is on my todo list! At least Freestyle Libre's look like a good idea... before that I also need to work out what to do about my insulin when travelling across time zones (but that's probably another thread).

hi @therower, yeah I'm trying to stay positive--I reckon that I can't do much about being T1 so I might as well get on with what I can control even if that does mean I can't drink orange juice (and coffee) for breakfast :(

hi @Robinredbreast

hi @Juicyj :) it seems like a nice community here.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Lillyse

Lillyse Type 1 · Member

Welcome to the type 1-club! :joyful:
    You can find so much useful info here! I've had type 1 for 11 years now, but am still learning a lot of new things, especially since finding this forum. Hope you'll like it here!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook