Hello from a new(ish) Type 2

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone who's interested..

I've reduced my evening injection tonight after talking with my nurse. Its the first time I've been able to reduce the amount I inject so I am quite pleased to be making some progress. I have managed to massively cut back on the carbs this week and most of the meals were things we normally eat but I just had much less or no pototoes. So yes, I'm hopeful. Its the weekend so I'll have time to go out on my bike and go play with my boys at the park. Genuinely having moments where I'm excited about changes to my lifestyle but then worrying if I can do it forever. It reminds me very much of my initial arthritis diagnosis, it takes time to get it into your head, but I'm starting to think the penny is dropping.

Anyone reading this who feels they have anything to add please do.

Thanks again.
P.
"Aaargh, I have to live with this the rest of my life!!!" is what it starts out with, and then it does indeed become a routine you don't really even think about. Funny how that works, but it does work. ;) It'll get better, you'll be healthier, and you'll be able to hang around for the boys as well, for a long time yet to come.

Reactions: Paulyw74

Daley01

Hi paulyw74. I just signed up on here and was reading your posts and thought I would just say keep it up your doing really well. I am recently diagnosed in February with type 2. Think my hba1c was in the high 80s to start with. I cut out the fizzy pop which i did have to much of. And dont have sugar in my tea now etc. And I've found that like most other people reducing my cards is helping. For me it was wanting to educate myself about food im eating. Il be honest I've probably been ignorant to it over the years and the diagnosis was a big wake up call. I am a truck driver by trade but currently trying to get my licence back as was suspended at the start of my diagnosis. I did start on insulin and meformin but I can now say I'm off the insulin completely and on a slow release metformin and a empaglaflozin tablet. These are keeping me on track as well as trying hard with the diet and exercise. I just recently had an update from the diabetic nurse to say that my hba1c has dropped down to 49 which is just outside the pre diabetic range and the nurse couldn't be happier for me. So im pleased with that i just wanna say keep up your good work and im sure you will get there. My goal is to try to kick this in to remission whether its possible or not I will keep trying. Good luck and stay safe.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Congratulations Paul. It looks like you are on the right track. Keep going.

Paulyw74

Hi.

Just an update. I've been continuing cutting carbs and reducing the amount of insulin but maybe not by enough. Woke this morning with a reading of 2.9 (a few glasses of wine last night may have been a bad idea?) so panicked a bit and ate a couple of biscuits then had my new breakfast of natural Greek yoghurt and some berries. Took another reading a couple of hours later and the reading was up to 8.0. Later the level was down to 6.3 so I did my other (reduced) injection before having Sunday lunch (with a small amount of mash but mainly chicken, cauliflower, cabbage etc). Levels then dropped again to 3.7 so I've had a couple of weetabix and will check again later before bed. Really tough knowing how much to cut while still injecting insulin. Speaking to the nurse again tomorrow and see whats next.

P.

Last edited:

Paulyw74

Another update. So its been a few weeks since my last post. I have continued with the changes to my diet. I generally eat less than 100g of carbs per day. All cereals are gone. Bread gone. Sweets etc long gone. Small amounts of wholmeals rice on occasion, small amounts of potatoes with meals on rare occasion. Ive just had my latest hb1ac blood test done and the result was 44mmol/mol so thats a lot better. Now on 2 metformin 500mg tablets per day and 2 very small humilin injections which will stop soon. Ive also lost over a stone in weight so my bmi is 26.1. Feeling much better than I have for a long time, even went for an early morning walk / light jog the other day and playing plenty of football with my kids at the park. Really hoping the improvement continues....

Paulyw74

Update. Stopped injecting insulin as of yesterday. Now on 2 metformin per day but this may rise to 3 if necessary. Small win I know, but its a start...

Aroundabout

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies. They are really helpful.

I've just done an early morning rest and the mmol/l figure was 5.2. I'm planning to eat a couple of weetabix and some allbran for breakfast, which is what I've recently been having as I dont feel ready to adjust my insulin without speaking to my nurse quite yet. The decision I need is whether I can adjust my diet whilst still on insulin and adjust the amount i inject or whether I should wait until I can come off the insulin.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

P.
Hi Paul,

I was diagnosed T2 in late June with an HbA1c of, gulp, 138 and my BG was 19. I was put on Metformin and Gliclazide and immediately cut out sugar and flour. After a month I went Keto and my BGs moves to between 4-7 but the low 4s happened when I was out walking so that worries me a bit. I haven’t had my clinic appointment yet but decided to stop the Gliclazide for a bit to see what happened as it can cause hypos (BS under 4). So far my BGs are around mid 6s which is encouraging. It’s tough to get it right but there are some great tools. MyFitnessPal has a great food diary log with a massive database and makes it really easy to count your carbs. Once I made the adjustment to a whole new recipe book and a bit more forward planning and shopping it’s been great. Good days and bad days of course but signs of improvement are always motivating.

Reactions: MrsA2

Toby789

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello. My Name is Paul. I'm 45 years old. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in January. My HBa1c was over 100 upon diagnosis but was down to 70 about a month ago. I'm currently injecting insulin twice a day with my daily mmol/L numbers generally staying between 4 & 8. I've had Psoriatic Arthritis for over 20 years, so have been used to taking medication over the long term and on diagnosis I think I probably just assumed this would now be something else I would learn to live with.. I'm not massively unfit or obese (BMI of around 27) but have struggled to do as much proper exercise as I probably should due to the pain it causes and also having a busy life with 2 young kids, work etc. Strangely since starting on the insulin my Psoriasis has really improved as has my overall feeling and ability to do more exercise. I have just had a telephone conversation with a new Rheumatologist who expressed quite an interest in Diabetes, he has told me that I should start on a low carb diet and continue with the extra exercise. I have recently cut bread & pasta from my diet having already stopped drinking any fizzy pop, eating sweets, almost any chocolate etc straight after my initial diagnosis. I have also been talking to my diabetic nurses on a weekly basis and whilst they were aware and encouraging of the changes I was making to my diet habits they were not as upfront as the Rheumatologist on what I really need to do to turn things around. So now I am intending to go as low carb as is realistic in a busy life with kids etc. Any advice from people who have been through similar would be appreciated, especially on eating well whilst not always having a lot of free time. Its a reality I'm just starting to get my (and my wife's) head around but I am hopeful that I might soon be able to get off the insulin injections then on to Metformin tablets with a long term goal of getting off meds all together.

I would add that I have also checked with my healthcare team that I definitely have Type 2 and not type 1.5 (LADA) which we thought might have been possible due to my Psoriatic Arthritis but they have assured me it is something they checked and that the Type 2 diagnosis is correct.

Thanks. P.

Keep a log. I cannot emphasise how important this is. Record your numbers every time you test manually somewhere. I know that most testing devices let you simply download (great for your doctor to scan quickly), but the very act of recording manually makes you think about food in a different way and will introduce the necessary discipline to get every down. Same with a food diary.

Remember, alas, that food is no longer your friend and it is more a duty (to keep your BGLs from getting too low or too high). It sounds harsh but the sooner diabetics accept their frenemy relationship with modern over-carbed food the easier it gets.

Also your legs are your largest muscle. Walk around the block soon after eating and the effect on your insulin efficiency will be remarkable.

Your'e a T2DM so over time these little nudges will have a huge impact fairly quickly.

Paulyw74

Update Oct 2020. Just been talking to my nurse and a recent blood test shows my hba1c now at 41mmol/mol. Currently still taking 2x500g metformin per day but hope to maybe even stop taking them in the not too distant future. I eat fairly low carb (probably around 50-70g per day) but not tracking my intake as much as I used to, as I now have a pretty good idea of what I can and can't eat. Missing out on breakfast also helps, just a couple of coffees with cream instead seems to work for me. Actually enjoying the new lifestyle, plenty of exercise and finding new recipes to try. It's like my body decided to force me to start taking better care of myself. Ive lost 2 stone so far and so had to spend a small fortune on new clothes and getting my wedding ring adjusted! I just want to say to people struggling when first diagnosed to try not to panic. Take your time, find ways to make changes that work for you. I still enjoy a drink (red & dry white wine seem to be fine) but only in moderation. Saturday & Sunday early morning bike rides are now the highlight of my week.

Thanks to everyone in this forum for their input. I still log in and read the posts every now and then. Its good to share how we can all make changes that really do make a big difference and which aren't actually the end of life as we know it.
P.

Reactions: Stephen Lewis