Hello from returning member whose had a serious loss of control over 2015

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lat night (Sunday) I had a good 2 hour reading of 8.1, which I double checked with a second test giving the same result. . All well and good but my 3.25 hour test (which I was hoping would be 7 point something) first came out as 9.5, repeated giving 8.5. Bit disappointing. . Hoping that was a blip, I did a test just before going to bed which gave 9.5. This was 5 hours after I'd eaten anything at all! Fasting test this morning was an excellent (for me this year) 8.8.
Dinner was a home made chicken and bean stew. My total carbs for the day were over my 200 target at 225 or so. I'm guessing the carbs in beans are low GI and its them that were causing these later readings.
If I live to be 100, I'll never fully understand this BG stuff!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep definately the beans, thats the problem with lower GI foods, they take longer to digest so they are around longer to haunt you.

Reactions: 2 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've had a good two weeks and an excellent week this week, ending last night with a new personal best two hour 6.5. This has been achieved by cutting my carb intake from around 200g per day to under 120 g per day after watching the low carb forum programme videos sent by Louise (sorry, not sure which one is the low carb communicator). I have to say that this was quite difficult, avoiding potatoes, bread and rice (fortunately I don't do pasta!) and I'm not sure I can permanently sustain this level of carb intake. But it has let me see what can be done if I pull out all the stops. Now I need to see where I can make some compromises. It already seems that I can have two slices of the bread we use at lunch time and stay within my carb target (they are only 11g carb per slice). Also looks as if I may be able to have the occasional hash brown at dinner time. White rice appears to be completely out of the question, spiking me every time. Time and detailed BG testing will tell.
Anyway, pretty hopeful that my HbA1c tests today will show a marked drop and even if they don't, I have the knowledge to bring a retest down in a couple of months. I will keep you posted.

Reactions: 2 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Best news today......HbA1c results back at........48!

Delighted. See my post in the Low Carb forum.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)