Hello from returning member whose had a serious loss of control over 2015

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello everybody. I was diagnosed type 2 in April 2011 and my aim was to control through diet and exercise and avoid medication for as long as possible. I joined this forum and learned a lot from the membership, including answers to my many specific questions. My diet would be considered moderate carb and around 1800 to 2000 calories a day. I managed to get my HbA1c under reasonable control and managed to get my HbA1c down to 39 (5.7) by June 2012 which was very pleasing. It was always hard for me to stick to any diet and I did have frequent lapses. By February 2014, I'd drifted up to 71 (8.6) and was put on Metformin and Ramipril in March 2014. By December 2014, I was back down to 47 (6.5). Unfortunately, I really lost control through 2015, stopped BG testing for the most part, stayed away from the forum, and generally ignored my diabetes, putting on 6 or 7 kilos in the meantime. So it wasn't really a surprise when my December 2015 bloods revealed an HbA1c of 65 (8.1)! Suddenly my doctor is talking about adding medications unless I can get back into control and that would feel like the slippery slope to me. After some discussion (luckily, I moved practice from a dictatorial doctor early in my type 2 journey), we've agreed an interim target of 58 by the end of March and it's my firm intention to achieve at least this level. I'm back on the moderate carb, controlled calorie diet and back to walking and gym..... and I'm back here! My problem isn't really knowledge, it's more will power/psychological. I know that not controlling BG over time can and will lead to horrible consequences, but that hasn't stopped me eating rubbish. I'm not talking about one extra potato or similar (although I know there are many on the forum who would worry about this). When I go off reservation, it's totally destructive with Big Mac Meals, curries with rice, nan, poppadum, wine and crisps, etc. I did try a weight management scheme run by the NHS and it worked while I was on it. I've signed up for another (different) one starting next week. That will keep me honest for a while. I'd be interested in comments from others with similar problems and in hearing how they've stayed in control in the longer term (or haven't, if that's the case). Tried the tablet app (Ipad), but so far it seems a bit too different to me so I'll stick to the PC version of the forum for a while.

Reactions: 13 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello Dougie22. Just to say - Welcome Back.

Reactions: 2 people

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds just like me! I too was diagnosed in 2011 - came here for the excellent advice and education about what being T2 means. I was good for about three years then just stopped caring anymore. Haven't taken a reading in more than a year until this morning when it was 7.8 so am now determined to smarten up and watch my diet and test regularly again. Hopefully we will both be successful.

Reactions: 18 people

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
You and me the same Dougie, I have really struggled the last few months due to a major disappointment with my results, the Dr was happy but I was very disappointed that they weren't better and I have been in a very dark place. Thought I was getting back in control last week but have gone off the wagon yesterday but more positive again to-day, so we will fight the battle together hopefully and urge each other on.

Reactions: 10 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sounds just like me! I too was diagnosed in 2011 - came here for the excellent advice and education about what being T2 means. I was good for about three years then just stopped caring anymore. Haven't taken a reading in more than a year until this morning when it was 7.8 so am now determined to smarten up and watch my diet and test regularly again. Hopefully we will both be successful.

Sounds like you've fared better than me if you're getting morning readings at 7.8. I was around 12 over Christmas and my evening two hour readings were even higher! I'm stopping fasting readings now as, in my case, I get extremely inconsistent readings depending on when I get up (I'm retired). I've proved to myself that if I were to get up early (say 7am) and take readings every hour without eating anything, they'd climb by at least a couple of units due to my body's "dawn effect". So, from now on, I'm going to take evening two hour and three hour readings to keep track of progress. I was really pleased to get below 8.5 after three hours last night. Now I need to bring that down to two hours but it's a lot better than where I was a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: 6 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You and me the same Dougie, I have really struggled the last few months due to a major disappointment with my results, the Dr was happy but I was very disappointed that they weren't better and I have been in a very dark place. Thought I was getting back in control last week but have gone off the wagon yesterday but more positive again to-day, so we will fight the battle together hopefully and urge each other on.

I know just how difficult it is and all about the dark place. After I've binged I feel guilty and ashamed of myself and also rebellious, tempting me to just keep binging. It can be hard to break out of that cycle. I try to tell myself that every morning is a fresh start, what's done is done and can't be undone and I'll try to have a good 24 hours. In my case, it's easy to stick my head in the sand until some external event, like my annual doctors review and HbA1c result shocks me into better behaviour. Some of the advice on here about planning your eating in advance and only buying reasonably healthy stuff does help. It's much easier for me to slip up if I've got rubbish in the house than if I've got to jump in the car to go and get it (though I have done that on a few occasions!).

Reactions: 8 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Dougie22 . I'm so glad you have started this thread as I am in exactly the same position as you. I was diagnosed in summer 2014 and helped by this forum I started a low carb diet, lost weight, swam every day and dramatically reduced my bg. But 2015 was not a good year diet wise. This Christmas I have just eaten and eaten! I have put on all the weight I had lost and must get back on track!!

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. I'm guilty too - the past 2 weeks I've been to: wedding anniversary party, 80th Birthday party, 90th Birthday then Christmas day, and invited for boxing day lunch. It's the desserts that I cannot refuse and I have to try every single one!!! (A glutton for punishment).

Reactions: 8 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done all of you for trying again. Don't beat yourself up about what you have been doing just forget that and concentrate on the here and now and you will get back on track take it a day at a time you did it before and you can do it again
I am sure that like you there are plenty of members here who have fallen off the wagon big time but may not have the courage to say so maybe your thread will encourage them to start again. I think we all lapse sometimes some in a big way and some with just an occasional naughty treat but we are only human after all.

Reactions: 12 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello @Dougie22 . I'm so glad you have started this thread as I am in exactly the same position as you. I was diagnosed in summer 2014 and helped by this forum I started a low carb diet, lost weight, swam every day and dramatically reduced my bg. But 2015 was not a good year diet wise. This Christmas I have just eaten and eaten! I have put on all the weight I had lost and must get back on track!!

I suspect there are a lot of us around.

Reactions: 11 people

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi. I'm guilty too - the past 2 weeks I've been to: wedding anniversary party, 80th Birthday party, 90th Birthday then Christmas day, and invited for boxing day lunch. It's the desserts that I cannot refuse and I have to try every single one!!! (A glutton for punishment).

Well, at least all these "one off" events are over for now. Time to get back on the wagon for the longer term. My problem has never been a sweet tooth. I've always (well before diabetes) had a problem with savory food, especially salty snacks, crisps, etc. Problem is now, in addition to making me fat (fatter), most of these are also high in carbs and salt. Not ideal for someone with diabetes and high blood pressure.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well done all of you for trying again. Don't beat yourself up about what you have been doing just forget that and concentrate on the here and now and you will get back on track take it a day at a time you did it before and you can do it again
I am sure that like you there are plenty of members here who have fallen off the wagon big time but may not have the courage to say so maybe your thread will encourage them to start again. I think we all lapse sometimes some in a big way and some with just an occasional naughty treat but we are only human after all.

Thanks for that, Pinkorchid. I'm clinging to the fact that I've done it before so I should be able to do it again. That's if things haven't gone downhill in the meantime, of course!

I haven't spent too much time on the forums yet but the last time I was here, I felt that the majority were in complete control and worrying about minor lapses like having one slice of toast or something, while I was worrying about an entirely different level of poor control. Already it seems that I have a few more fellow travellers this time.

Reactions: 9 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Dougie22. Some of your comments I agree with. I don't follow any set diet regime, nor do I count carbs. I eat stuff in moderation and have smaller meals. Yes, I eat pasta, rice, potatoes, bread etc and all these foods I have mentioned ( and there's more) the Dieticians at the Hospital Diabetic Clinic have said: yes - they are fine to eat, but in moderation = that's good enough for me. I have been Diabetic Type2 for 15years, I take Insulin 38 Humulin i , 2000mg Metformin and 5mg Dapagliflozin daily. At my last diabetic appointment on 4th Nov'2015 my weight had come down by 2 stone, my BMI was down and my HBA1C was down to 62, the last thing said to me by the Consultant: is to continue what I have been doing. I do try to avoid sugary stuff, but that is my downfall ( always had a sweet tooth) and I pay the price when I do consume sugar. But, there are some folk on this site that are a bit "a**l" when it comes to eating and can make others feel bad!!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dougie22. Some of your comments I agree with. I don't follow any set diet regime, nor do I count carbs. I eat stuff in moderation and have smaller meals. Yes, I eat pasta, rice, potatoes, bread etc and all these foods I have mentioned ( and there's more) the Dieticians at the Hospital Diabetic Clinic have said: yes - they are fine to eat, but in moderation = that's good enough for me. I have been Diabetic Type2 for 15years, I take Insulin 38 Humulin i , 2000mg Metformin and 5mg Dapagliflozin daily. At my last diabetic appointment on 4th Nov'2015 my weight had come down by 2 stone, my BMI was down and my HBA1C was down to 62, the last thing said to me by the Consultant: is to continue what I have been doing. I do try to avoid sugary stuff, but that is my downfall ( always had a sweet tooth) and I pay the price when I do consume sugar. But, there are some folk on this site that are a bit "a**l" when it comes to eating and can make others feel bad!!
Exactly we all have to do what works for us best not what someone else does, just because it suits them it may not suit us. I am not a carb counter either I just have what I consider is a healthy diet for me no sugar stuff and low on the starchy foods like bread and potatoes no rice or pasta which I don't like anyway so never ate much of those before diabetes and I still tend to have more low fat than full fat but it suits me

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is my approach too. No special recipes involving ingredients you can only buy in health food shops. No strange vegetables or fruits that you can't obtain in your local supermarket. Stop eating junk food and take aways. More stuff cooked from basic ingredients (chicken, meat, cheese, etc.). Less meal deal type stuff. Cut back on rolls, baguettes and similar and use small slices of wholemeal bread. Reduce potatoes. Drink more water, avoid even diet drinks. Fewer snacks between meals and make them count. Little alcohol. Mindfull eating. Food diary. That's about it for me. Maybe I'll change my mind if I can't get my BG down!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome back @Dougie22 Im guilty as well. Ive been a bit like a yo yo since being diagnosed. Most of the time its usually just a bit of this or that but I have had quite a few really off the rail moments as well over the past year. It can be hard getting in the right mindset again and again. I have, at least for now (touch wood) seem to have settled into a food routine and Im not craving anything at all which is great. I keep a food diary everyday which helps keep me on track as I like to see the least amount possible in it and that motivates me. I have actually cut out all potatoes, bread ect and I just bake my own bread, biscuits ect but it has been a year long journey to convert everything to LC and I am now at the point where I enjoy my own homemade food better than anything store brought which is a great milestone for me. Its great to see you are getting yourself back on track, I think the most important thing is that you do it in a way that suits you and that way you are more likely to stick to it, hopefully. :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many reasons why people fall off the wagon or never get on it in the first place. One big reason is that
many have said that the LC/HF way of eating is just to expensive for them when they have to budget on a low income. They must feel there is no point in them reading about the diet and the foods that people eat here that they can't afford to buy

Reactions: 9 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many reasons why people fall off the wagon or never get on it in the first place. One big reason is that
many have said that the LC/HF way of eating is just to expensive for them when they have to budget on a low income. They must feel there is no point in them reading about the diet and the foods that people eat here that they can't afford to buy

I think the LCHF way of eating can appear expensive but when you consider the amount people are spending on snack foods and takeaways and processed foods I'm not sure it's really more expensive - you are in effect buying less of a good quality food rather than lots of cheap but not so good for you food and supplementing with snacks.

When you eat LCHF many find they no longer feel the need for snacks so that's less expensive and there is plenty of good food that can be bought quite cheaply. All the veggies for example and when you make veggies the main part of a meal you can buy better quality meat and fish etc.

It would be interesting if someone was prepared to work out what they actually spend on food in a normal week including the snacks etc and then if they tried a low carb diet and compared....

I just find I eat so much less food altogether as fat is so filling that it's not more expensive at all even though I now cook with quality coconut oil and try to buy organic/free range meats/eggs etc.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Dougie22 . How has your day been? Have you managed to make a start? After the shock of a high bg reading last night I have been very good today with food and I went swimming for 40 minutes so feel I have made a start. Hope you had a good day too. :)